Balancing Rental Market Research with Full Time Job

26 Replies

Hey folks, loving the BP community thus far, hoping to make my first purchase soon! Stuck on a bit of a hard-spot though, might be over thinking. 

A lot of the education (books, podcasts, forums, etc) I've been taking in thus far seem to generally encourage a few things when looking for a market and a deal

-Get intimately familiar with that market. Drive around, call around, check out other properties, etc.

- Don't be afraid to explore outside your own backyard.

In my case, my 'backyard' is AZ. Born and raised there for 24 years. Currently in San Diego on orders, and it's a short drive away. HOWEVER, from forum reading thus far, and generally getting a rookie feel for it, AZ does not seem like a good place to start for a first time investor. Which is fine, because i really want to look somewhere else, like Houston.

Problem is, I'm starting a sea duty here shortly that's going to be 12 hour days, easily. Plus underways! Any home time, I want to have with the kids! Flying/driving to other markets, then,is practically out of the question!

So, how do you do serious, in-person market research and familiarity development if constrained by a demanding full-time job? For that matter, is it even wise to buy sight-unseen for a first-timer, given these constraints? 

Thank you all!

Arizona is a big place! The reality is, most markets are difficult. I'd say don't give up on Arizona quite yet. Great state, and you do have a leg up there. Is buying sight unseen risky for a new investor? Absolutely. Take some time and brainstorm a few ways you could mitigate some of those risks. Could you hire someone to look at properties for you? 

I'd also take a step back and reconsider the strategy generally speaking. Maybe notes are a better fit?

@Trent Warner it is a matter of commitment and motivation. Find your "why". When you find it, you will find your will and your way.

AZ is an EXCELLENT market. There are excellent markets in every state.

To put into perspective, my wife and I both have full time jobs. I also runs a motorcycle repair shop on the side and I teach occasionally at the local college. We have 3 young kids and I take care of my mom. I continue to be able to invest in real estate.

My "why"... build a legacy for my bloodline and FIRE. It took me about 14 month to achieve FIRE... or FI. But I continue to work, leverage, and invest to build a larger base. There are 24 hours in a day. You need 4-6 hours of sleep and 1 hour for exercise everyday. The rest is available to you.

Find that WHY.

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now

@Taylor L. I appreciate the ideas. I didn't actually consider that before. Could I ask what your approach was to your some of your earliest out-of-state/long distance investments? Did you fly/drive out to each location? Or look for someone to do the scouting for you? Come to think of it, because of the Navy, I do have respectable contacts in a number of the big Navy states (VA, TN, FL, GA, WA, etc). That could be a really good route to go...Also, what do you mean by "notes"?

@Sam Yin I completely agree with what you are saying! A "big why" is absolutely crucial, and developing a few is something I've actually already done for another group I'm with (Nerd Fitness).  My biggest why is my baby girl, currently 2.  She fought very hard to be in this world.  The High Risk OB/GYN was convinced she was not going to make it.  When she was born via emergency c-section, I vividly remember them saying "One...One...One" over and over while they worked on her.  It was her APGAR score.  

She's fine now (see profile pic!), but giving her literally everything I never had (and more) is my driving force.  There are a couple others (one similar to yours, charting a new course for my family, better than my parents ever did.  The other, marriage-related with my wife).

Anyways, I think I have pretty strong "Whys".  The issue I have is...my brain.  My line of work (nuclear engineering), I view everything in incredibly strict, detail-oriented processes.  I have a hard time thinking outside the box.  If I see several sources (what we'd call in the Navy "corroborating indications") that AZ is a tough market, I have a hard time convincing myself to look at it from a different angle.  

I hear a lot of people say similar to what you said, that with your strong "why", the will and way will come with it.  But.  I have a hard time processing that, again I think just a weakness of the why I've been trained to think.  Even with my powerful "why", I still do not know the process for managing an out-of-state investment with limited ability to travel.  And it doesn't seem to be really just coming to me.

Also, can you tell me what you mean by FIRE?

Anyways, you guys now make two people that have told me in very short order that AZ is doable.  So, I will work on it!  And I'll work on brainstorming ideas!

Gentlemen, thank you for the input! I am really impressed by how supportive the BP community is!

@Trent Warner Trent, I know you can do it. Thank you for your service. I have been out of the Army over 20 years, it a episode of life you will never forget and it only makes you better.

I believe there are great markets everywhere. I look at the tertiary markets and focus on mismanaged or undervalued properties. I self manage to mitigate costs. A property manager is fine but you will need to underwrite with larger margins.

FIRE stands for Financially Independent Retire Early. It's a popular movement with millennials... I know I'm a bit older but I saw it on YouTube. I learned everything from YouTube in 2020. I was able to make equal passive income to my W2.

Originally posted by @Trent Warner :

@Taylor L. I appreciate the ideas. I didn't actually consider that before. Could I ask what your approach was to your some of your earliest out-of-state/long distance investments? Did you fly/drive out to each location? Or look for someone to do the scouting for you? Come to think of it, because of the Navy, I do have respectable contacts in a number of the big Navy states (VA, TN, FL, GA, WA, etc). That could be a really good route to go...Also, what do you mean by "notes"?

@Sam Yin I completely agree with what you are saying! A "big why" is absolutely crucial, and developing a few is something I've actually already done for another group I'm with (Nerd Fitness).  My biggest why is my baby girl, currently 2.  She fought very hard to be in this world.  The High Risk OB/GYN was convinced she was not going to make it.  When she was born via emergency c-section, I vividly remember them saying "One...One...One" over and over while they worked on her.  It was her APGAR score.  

She's fine now (see profile pic!), but giving her literally everything I never had (and more) is my driving force.  There are a couple others (one similar to yours, charting a new course for my family, better than my parents ever did.  The other, marriage-related with my wife).

Anyways, I think I have pretty strong "Whys".  The issue I have is...my brain.  My line of work (nuclear engineering), I view everything in incredibly strict, detail-oriented processes.  I have a hard time thinking outside the box.  If I see several sources (what we'd call in the Navy "corroborating indications") that AZ is a tough market, I have a hard time convincing myself to look at it from a different angle.  

I hear a lot of people say similar to what you said, that with your strong "why", the will and way will come with it.  But.  I have a hard time processing that, again I think just a weakness of the why I've been trained to think.  Even with my powerful "why", I still do not know the process for managing an out-of-state investment with limited ability to travel.  And it doesn't seem to be really just coming to me.

Also, can you tell me what you mean by FIRE?

Anyways, you guys now make two people that have told me in very short order that AZ is doable.  So, I will work on it!  And I'll work on brainstorming ideas!

Gentlemen, thank you for the input! I am really impressed by how supportive the BP community is!

My first out of state investment was as a passive investor in a syndication in Georgia. That ultimately led to getting on to the GP side of syndications. As an LP I never saw the properties in person. GP side is a different story entirely, though.

By notes I'm referring to mortgage note investing. It's a complex topic, you can definitely learn more about the basics from YouTube videos. 

What makes you think AZ is a bad place to invest? There really aren't good or bad markets, every market just provides a different type of return. In general terms, when you buy a property, your returns will be either cash flow or appreciation or a little of both. It's highly unlikely that you'll get a lot of both of those and investing for one or the other is defintiely not a bad thing, it just depends upon your goals and timeline. 

Best of luck!

@Trent Warner Arizona is a great place to invest. Actually, Phoenix and Tucson are some of the more competitive markets to invest into for population and rent growth in the nation. So if you mean from a competitive standpoint they are not appealing, then yes you are right. However, they are also some of the most lucrative rental markets in the nation, thus the "competiveness".

I do believe rent growth on average in Phoenix Arizona at present is well around 21.6%. Those are record numbers for the United States. Rent growth is one of the key indicators of healthy market for an investor. 

As to the other question, buying sight-unseen means building a team. Read the book "Long distance real estate investing" by David Greene. Or invest passively with a partner who runs the operations on the ground. Many ways to skin the cat :).

Originally posted by @Chris Levarek :

@Trent Warner Arizona is a great place to invest. Actually, Phoenix and Tucson are some of the more competitive markets to invest into for population and rent growth in the nation. So if you mean from a competitive standpoint they are not appealing, then yes you are right. However, they are also some of the most lucrative rental markets in the nation, thus the "competiveness".

I do believe rent growth on average in Phoenix Arizona at present is well around 21.6%. Those are record numbers for the United States. Rent growth is one of the key indicators of healthy market for an investor. 

As to the other question, buying sight-unseen means building a team. Read the book "Long distance real estate investing" by David Greene. Or invest passively with a partner who runs the operations on the ground. Many ways to skin the cat :).

Chris, thank you so much for being a voice of reason. Lately I've been hearing more voices saying Arizona is bad- Phoenix is bad. No AZ areas are feasible, now.

It's strange, because AZ growth/appreciation and income numbers are only higher- and for the many investors taking advantage of the opportunity, there is a LOT of wealth being generated. It's exciting and I'm glad many of us are part of it.

@Trent Warner I currently live in AZ but invest mostly in the Midwest.  Believe it or not you don't have to spend a lot of time on this as an investor.  Our biggest markets are Milwaukee and the Cleveland suburbs.  I can look at a property and get a yes/no answer in less than a minute.  If things look good we make an offer contingent on inspection.  A few resources:  1)  Trulia.com  Put in an address and get an overview of the neighborhood crime rate, avoid high crime areas.  2)  Rentometer.com Put in an address, bed bath count and it gives you projected rates.  If you are prequalified or cash buyer you know what your mortgage expense will be and your rents.  

If you are working one or two metro areas you will start to get a feel for things pretty quickly, what neighborhoods are good, what ones to avoid etc.  The hardest property to buy will be your first.  Everyone after that gets easier.  

Once you buy the property hire a Property Manager (PM).  They can handle light rehab and rent ready repairs etc.

If you ever want to invest in Milwaukee or Cleveland reach out to me, I would be happy to share my resources and knowledge.

Last but not least.  Thank you for your service.

@Trent Warner

First, thank you for your service. I am an investor in Houston. Coming out to Houston and not knowing areas to invest or not to invest in can be costly. What looks good on paper is not always the case in the real world. I see CA investors buying SFR out here that we locals won't touch. Agents work on commission so make sure you find one that cares more about long-term relationships and not their next paycheck.

I am not a big fan of syndication but I think you are a good candidate for such an investment. The idea that running a portfolio of single-family is easy or very passive is not always the case. Given your schedule and distance, you should consider investing in one of these syndications and learning how that helps to grow your money. Or another option is to buy turn-key investments with a good property manager.

Don't be in FOMO mode. (Fear Of Missing Out). Take your time. If the desire and your WHY are strong you can make time to educate and then take the steps needed to move forward. 

Best of luck 

@Sam Yin & @Luciano A.  Great post. I love your analogy.

@Trent Warner  Being a new investor and in a new area can be overwhelming but is doable, as most of my clients are from out of state.

As an Investor-Agent myself, I have had several conversations on this topic with my clients and customers. Everyone has different goals and investment criteria, so this is not a one size fit all kind of situation.

I will suggest that you clearly define what you what and do some research. A local Investor-Agent can help shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

Use Niche.com, Greatschools.org, and Msc.Fema.gov for your research.

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability

@Trent Warner - a big piece to help solve your problem is building a great team. A team that knows the market and can give you the information you need without you having to spend all the time digging up the info is critical. You shouldn’t follow them blindly, you can always vet their info, but professionals like your local Realtors and property managers are working in the market every day full-time, and will have a much greater insight into a market than you’ll ever get trying to understand it on your own, especially on a very part-time basis.

Holy cow! What an absolutely epic outpouring of support, input and wisdom! Thank you all very much for taking the time to chip in here.

@Corby Goade   If I had to pin my thought process to one single thing, it is honestly probably my level of inexperience with the world of real estate investing.  The intimidation of the price tags in Phoenix, combined with some other fear-arousing readings about the market there, easily tweak the anxiety of a rookie such as myself.  I appreciate the sounding board from someone with your level of experience!  As for timeline and goals, I'm looking at approximately 13-14 years of wealth-building before I get out of the Navy.  My goal is to accumulate cash flow over these next 13-14 years, which I would essentially consider "off-limits" until the day I walk off my last ship.  At that point, I'm hoping to have $136k per month in cash flow (in tomorrow's dollars).  This seems like an obscene amount, and is actually a Grant Cardone MASSIVE 10x form of what my original goal was, that I built based off what I want to provide for my wife and kids, our parents, and our livelihoods in general.  I'm still trying to digest the sheer immensity of a goal like this, and convince myself its possible.  But I do read stories about people reaching $10k per month in their first year of investing, so I suppose its possible.  I really have no interest in the appreciation, "icing on the cake" as Brandon says!

Would Boise TurnKey Investments be a possible springboard to help me get started?  Would really like to talk offline about it, if that's alright with you!

@Chris Levarek yea I guess I should look at it with the right lens! Rather than  fixating on the fact that it's so competitive and challenging of a market to enter, I think your point is spot on: that they are competitive because they are such lucrative/successful markets right now!  I will certainly take a look at David Greene's book, definitely looking to have at least a few books under my belt before the year is out! As for a team, I have already reached out to a long-time buddy of mine in AZ regarding exactly that!

I took at look at your investment record, and wow! Seeing you start at essentially ground-level where I'm at, with a $209k purchase of MFRs, and now recently wrapping up a $42.5 Mil purchase in Daytona Beach! Absolutely awesome!  Is this something you were able to achieve through being a syndicator?  Would I be able to discuss what all that means with you?

@Chad McMahan right?? Now imagine being a rookie hearing all of that! XD  I really do appreciate having highly experienced folks like you and Chris provide a backboard of reason and logic against all of it, though.  It is reassuring to be...well, reassured, that AZ is in fact not only doable, but very profitable.  If challenging!

If I'm reading what I looked up correctly, Realty One Group Mountain Desert is a real estate brokerage, is that right? Does that mean a REI works with an agent from your firm to help them (the REI) close on deals? Could I talk to you more about how this process works?

@Bob E.   First thing, Queen Creek => one of my absolute favorite places to be.  I feel like I don't know a lot of people that say that, but I have a lifetime of memories from that place!  Also, you can bet I have absolutely jotted down those resources in my collection, thank you!  When you say "get a yes/no answer in less than a minute", you have to have some kind of well-refined strategy for this?  To quickly knock out calculations in naval engineering, we'll often rely on "rules of thumb".  Do you have anything like this you'd be willing to share that lets you make these high-speed, on-the-spot decisions on a property?  I hope its not a "tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" kinda thing! 

Also, would definitely like to talk with you about the Milwaukee and Cleveland markets!  And as well, thank you! :)

@Luciano A. Thank you for the input! Houston was actually one of the first areas I looked at, following at webinar that Brandon hosted.  It seemed doable, but I will definitely keep in mind what you've said about the market out there.  As it stands, I'm primarily interested in MFRs, but would maybe do SFRs as well.  Also, will absolutely look into understanding syndication a bit better! Seems like a completely foreign world at the moment, but then again, so does most of real estate investing!  I think my why is pretty strong, and I'm working to push myself past the FOMO.  It's all about numbers, in my mind. An end state of cash flow, and the discrete steps to get there!

Your profile says you can real estate for hours.  I might take you up on that challenge! Could we connect and talk about what options there might be for investing in Houston?

@Rebecca Knox are YOU that good property manager??! XD Just kidding! I will definitely keep that in mind! Actually, my mother-in-law in AZ has been in property management for...ages, I think! Could be a good place to start, although I have been warned of the dangers of mixing family with business in a separate forum, lol.

What does Captain Save A Home do? I'm assuming...saves homes??

@Wale Lawal   I am definitely taking note of those resources, thank you!  As for goals, I think have the end-state pretty well defined.  $136k per month cash flow in about 13-14 years.  It's...a pretty egregiously huge goal.  Like, Grant Cardone, "10x what you think is possible" massive, lol!  I'm still not entirely convinced it's possible, but it's what I'm basing all my other planning/structuring around!  I'm working back from that now to see what the whole thing looks like between now and 14 years later, but I know it starts with the first purchase.  Just gotta break through that barrier!

As an investor-agent, do you work with relatively newer investors to help get them started?  Is your market primarily focused around Houston?  That being said, could I reach out to you to possibly work together??

@Ben Nelson if enough people express how important a team is, eventually I'll have to believe it! XD  No, I definitely get what you're saying.  Seeking out a team is not something I've ever really developed the skills for, however.  In the military, it's easy! Your team is given to you, and you are told plain-and-simple: work together! Having to seek out a team is definitely a foreign topic for me, heh.  It does make sense, though.  You can't be everywhere at once, after all!

I actually have a very good friend from the Navy that grew up around Oregon's wine country! She's in Livermore, CA right now doing something...super sci-fi with the fusion facility out there...but she always talks about wanting to get back to OR!  Could I talk to you offline about possibly getting some exposure as a rookie to investment opportunities, specifically MFRs, in Portland?

Again, thank you all so much for the sheer epic amount of wisdom! I look forward to chatting with and learning from you! 

@Trent Warner

I would be happy to discuss. I am a builder so can give you advice on areas that you can focus your attention thus can build up your knowledge to certain areas of the city for possible deals since Houston is massive, unlike many major cities.  

Just PM me. I am happy to help.

@Trent Warner  That's right, to see results, you need to take action and take the risk to grow. I thrive to see others succeed, so I work with all types of investors.

Please reach out. I like to give you some insight into the Houston market and point you in the right direction.

Originally posted by @Trent Warner :

Holy cow! What an absolutely epic outpouring of support, input and wisdom! Thank you all very much for taking the time to chip in here.

@Corby Goade   If I had to pin my thought process to one single thing, it is honestly probably my level of inexperience with the world of real estate investing.  The intimidation of the price tags in Phoenix, combined with some other fear-arousing readings about the market there, easily tweak the anxiety of a rookie such as myself.  I appreciate the sounding board from someone with your level of experience!  As for timeline and goals, I'm looking at approximately 13-14 years of wealth-building before I get out of the Navy.  My goal is to accumulate cash flow over these next 13-14 years, which I would essentially consider "off-limits" until the day I walk off my last ship.  At that point, I'm hoping to have $136k per month in cash flow (in tomorrow's dollars).  This seems like an obscene amount, and is actually a Grant Cardone MASSIVE 10x form of what my original goal was, that I built based off what I want to provide for my wife and kids, our parents, and our livelihoods in general.  I'm still trying to digest the sheer immensity of a goal like this, and convince myself its possible.  But I do read stories about people reaching $10k per month in their first year of investing, so I suppose its possible.  I really have no interest in the appreciation, "icing on the cake" as Brandon says!

Would Boise TurnKey Investments be a possible springboard to help me get started?  Would really like to talk offline about it, if that's alright with you!

@Chris Levarek yea I guess I should look at it with the right lens! Rather than  fixating on the fact that it's so competitive and challenging of a market to enter, I think your point is spot on: that they are competitive because they are such lucrative/successful markets right now!  I will certainly take a look at David Greene's book, definitely looking to have at least a few books under my belt before the year is out! As for a team, I have already reached out to a long-time buddy of mine in AZ regarding exactly that!

I took at look at your investment record, and wow! Seeing you start at essentially ground-level where I'm at, with a $209k purchase of MFRs, and now recently wrapping up a $42.5 Mil purchase in Daytona Beach! Absolutely awesome!  Is this something you were able to achieve through being a syndicator?  Would I be able to discuss what all that means with you?

@Chad McMahan right?? Now imagine being a rookie hearing all of that! XD  I really do appreciate having highly experienced folks like you and Chris provide a backboard of reason and logic against all of it, though.  It is reassuring to be...well, reassured, that AZ is in fact not only doable, but very profitable.  If challenging!

If I'm reading what I looked up correctly, Realty One Group Mountain Desert is a real estate brokerage, is that right? Does that mean a REI works with an agent from your firm to help them (the REI) close on deals? Could I talk to you more about how this process works?

@Bob E.   First thing, Queen Creek => one of my absolute favorite places to be.  I feel like I don't know a lot of people that say that, but I have a lifetime of memories from that place!  Also, you can bet I have absolutely jotted down those resources in my collection, thank you!  When you say "get a yes/no answer in less than a minute", you have to have some kind of well-refined strategy for this?  To quickly knock out calculations in naval engineering, we'll often rely on "rules of thumb".  Do you have anything like this you'd be willing to share that lets you make these high-speed, on-the-spot decisions on a property?  I hope its not a "tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" kinda thing! 

Also, would definitely like to talk with you about the Milwaukee and Cleveland markets!  And as well, thank you! :)

@Luciano A. Thank you for the input! Houston was actually one of the first areas I looked at, following at webinar that Brandon hosted.  It seemed doable, but I will definitely keep in mind what you've said about the market out there.  As it stands, I'm primarily interested in MFRs, but would maybe do SFRs as well.  Also, will absolutely look into understanding syndication a bit better! Seems like a completely foreign world at the moment, but then again, so does most of real estate investing!  I think my why is pretty strong, and I'm working to push myself past the FOMO.  It's all about numbers, in my mind. An end state of cash flow, and the discrete steps to get there!

Your profile says you can real estate for hours.  I might take you up on that challenge! Could we connect and talk about what options there might be for investing in Houston?

@Rebecca Knox are YOU that good property manager??! XD Just kidding! I will definitely keep that in mind! Actually, my mother-in-law in AZ has been in property management for...ages, I think! Could be a good place to start, although I have been warned of the dangers of mixing family with business in a separate forum, lol.

What does Captain Save A Home do? I'm assuming...saves homes??

@Wale Lawal   I am definitely taking note of those resources, thank you!  As for goals, I think have the end-state pretty well defined.  $136k per month cash flow in about 13-14 years.  It's...a pretty egregiously huge goal.  Like, Grant Cardone, "10x what you think is possible" massive, lol!  I'm still not entirely convinced it's possible, but it's what I'm basing all my other planning/structuring around!  I'm working back from that now to see what the whole thing looks like between now and 14 years later, but I know it starts with the first purchase.  Just gotta break through that barrier!

As an investor-agent, do you work with relatively newer investors to help get them started?  Is your market primarily focused around Houston?  That being said, could I reach out to you to possibly work together??

@Ben Nelson if enough people express how important a team is, eventually I'll have to believe it! XD  No, I definitely get what you're saying.  Seeking out a team is not something I've ever really developed the skills for, however.  In the military, it's easy! Your team is given to you, and you are told plain-and-simple: work together! Having to seek out a team is definitely a foreign topic for me, heh.  It does make sense, though.  You can't be everywhere at once, after all!

I actually have a very good friend from the Navy that grew up around Oregon's wine country! She's in Livermore, CA right now doing something...super sci-fi with the fusion facility out there...but she always talks about wanting to get back to OR!  Could I talk to you offline about possibly getting some exposure as a rookie to investment opportunities, specifically MFRs, in Portland?

Again, thank you all so much for the sheer epic amount of wisdom! I look forward to chatting with and learning from you! 

Exactly, Trent- you are dialed in. Send me a message or call me and I'll be happy to help. I'm excited for you.

@Trent Warner  Hi Trent,  We like queen Creek quite a bit too.  If you like Queen Creek check out this You Tube Video on the founding of Queen Creek.  The founders really put themselves on the line.

As for getting a yes or no answer it's really pretty simple.  Once you figure out one house in a neighborhood you have figured out the neighborhood.  Think of it this way, say you run the numbers on a 3/1 rental, make an offer but don't get the house,  Then the house next door comes up, 3/1 similar square footage.  How long would it take to run the numbers?  Do you even have to run the numbers or can you just pull out the spreadsheet from last time?

For example, one of the neighborhoods in Invest in near Cleveland is Maple Heights I know that a 3/1 SFR rents for 950-1050. Add a second bathroom or 4th bedroom and the rents go up a bit. I know that neighborhood will sell for @ 65-85k. If those numbers work for me then the neighborhood works for me. Here is a great example if found this morning. 5169 Cato Street Maple Heights, OH 44137 .  This house could be a dud but looks solid and the 4th bedroom lets me go a little higher on the price, I think this one would rent for $1.150.  So, when this hits me feed, I can look at the neighborhood, look at the price, I know whether it has enough potential to scroll through the pictures.  If the pictures look good confirm the crime and rents, and make an offer.  If the offer is accepted then get an inspection and do a walk through or have your agent go through.  I have not personally seen the last dozen properties we bought.

Bob

I will also add that I find the 50% rule to actually work pretty well for the workforce housing 950-1200 a month market.

@Trent Warner I skimmed through the comments above and not sure whether anyone mentioned for you to consider the strength of your WHY! Finding time to conduct research is always a tricky situation. And the reason I mentioned you regarding your WHY is that could drive you to identify the much needed time to work on your goals. Also depending on your approach in REI you may need to spend little time to a lot of time.. I was in your boat till last month with regards to scarcity of time and I took the approach of investing in a turnkey rental, now I have a bit more time and am continuing my REI journey by working with an agent directly. If you have any questions regarding my TK experience or OOS investing, feel free to PM me. Good luck in your journey..