User Stats

Votes
Ryan Richmond
Votes |
Storm door preference for STR & MTR

Ryan Richmond
Posted Apr 8 2023, 07:17

Hey Y'all,

I recently installed a storm door at my primary and enjoy it so much I am looking at installing these at my short and medium term rentals.  

I found some discussions on general tradeoffs for having a storm door at traditional rentals and potential for damage and replacement. For a STR or MTR that is already furnished I believe the risk of tenant damage from moving furniture is reduced and the added benefit for my guests to enjoy the breeze on a pleasant day is worth the risk.

I've selected the same door I put on my primary.  The Larson Tradewinds that I purchased through Lowes.  It closes securely and has a gas piston at both the top and bottom to maintain a smooth closure but the feature that really appeals to me is that the storm window remains permanently inside the door frame and slides down to open the screen.  I'll probably have to make a short instruction for my guests because there is a locking tab in the middle of the door that needs to be released to open the screen.  

There is also a risk of creating a lock out situation from the storm door.  I may disable the storm door lock.

Looking for some feedback from other hosts if the guest benefit of having a storm door is work it.  I don't have these installed now and have yet to get a review or feedback asking for a storm door so I may just be creating more trouble for myself.

Appreciate it and looking forward to your feedback.

Ryan

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Apr 8 2023, 07:32

I would not install one. It is something else to maintain that could also break.

People may have the heat or AC on while the screen is open on the storm door. They aren't paying the electric bill so they won't care.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Apr 8 2023, 10:18

I only have a full glass Anderson storm door because the house came with it.  Because of the tension from the dual closers, it makes moving suitcases in and out harder for guests.  It has a full screen panel that I could switch the glass out for, but I don't want to do that for the same reason John said above - guests will run up the electric bill. The only benefit from mine now is protecting the smart lock on the main door from the weather.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 8 2023, 10:27

Hey @Ryan Richmond, I have found that some features I like in my primary, just don't translate well over to the STR.

We have whole house A/C so I don't want them enjoying a nice fresh breeze while running it at 65 degrees when it is 90 outside.

Have you ever had a guest say, "Gee, I wish it had storm door where we could open the screen and get fresh air."? I am guessing not, so unless you see a need or hole in your amenities, I wouldn't do it.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Apr 8 2023, 10:30

And whatever you do don't put them in a southern home unless you want the A/C to freeze up because it's running with a door/screen open!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Richmond
Votes |
Replied Apr 9 2023, 04:45

@Lauren Kormylo that is a great point about the closures actually making it more difficult to move luggage and personal belongings!

@Michael Baum and @Sarah Kensinger Great point about running the AC while the door is open.  

Seems like I can fund a better use for the resources than storm doors.  I appreciate the feedback!

Ryan

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Apr 12 2023, 07:21

@Ryan Richmond  depending on where you are and if you get wind when they fail to latch the door you can have an issue.  We got damage to 2 storm doors due to wind. 

User Stats

Votes
Zambricki Li
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA
Replied Apr 12 2023, 07:29

No you don't need it, won't actually add anything to the rental income. Try and focus on amenities you can check off on the amenity section of the listing which will help you rank. Look at the amenity list like a shopping list and see what you can do for sub 500 that will improve your ranking.