New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 3 votes
Hi everyone! I'm in my first year running my Airbnb listing and, while it's doing well, I am 100% sure I have inefficiencies that are costing me. Currently I have it set up so that there is 1 day of preparation the day before and the day after a stay, but this is causing lots of orphaned days between reserved dates.
How have you found the best way that works for you for your own STRs? While I'm actively trying to make it as streamlined as possible, as I only have one at the moment, would it be best to just handle it on a reservation basis? Thank you!
Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
3y
1 day before and a day after is quite a lot.
We routinely do same-day check-out check-in.
First of all we do 11am check out and 4 pm check in. Cleaner comes at 11am and will typically be done by 2 pm. If she see any issues while cleaning, she contacts my repairman to come complete the work.
95% of issues can be fixed before the 4pm check-in.
It really boils down to the systems I have with my cleaner/handyman.
Obviously bigger/unique homes can take longer to prepare for the next guest.
Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
3y
1 day before and a day after is quite a lot.
We routinely do same-day check-out check-in.
First of all we do 11am check out and 4 pm check in. Cleaner comes at 11am and will typically be done by 2 pm. If she see any issues while cleaning, she contacts my repairman to come complete the work.
95% of issues can be fixed before the 4pm check-in.
It really boils down to the systems I have with my cleaner/handyman.
Obviously bigger/unique homes can take longer to prepare for the next guest.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
I agree with @Matthew Masoud. 1 day before and after is a lot.
We have back to backs all the time and our cleaner handles them with no issue.
Our house is pretty big at 2700sqft so we have check out set at 10am and check in at 5pm. We implemented this time set during COVID in order to do an extra good job.
You just need to check with your cleaner and let them know they will have to be Johnny on the spot getting things done for back to back cleanings.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
We have same day check in and same day check out on 80 listings with no problems. We have very occasionally (I would say 0.05%) run into issues where the unit is not ready for the incoming guest. This usually will cost us a small concession for inconvenience to the incoming guest but this pales in comparison to the higher occupancy rate.
Hi everyone! I'm in my first year running my Airbnb listing and, while it's doing well, I am 100% sure I have inefficiencies that are costing me. Currently I have it set up so that there is 1 day of preparation the day before and the day after a stay, but this is causing lots of orphaned days between reserved dates.
How have you found the best way that works for you for your own STRs? While I'm actively trying to make it as streamlined as possible, as I only have one at the moment, would it be best to just handle it on a reservation basis? Thank you!
Hi Margo! I'd highly recommend you have 1-2 local STR superstars take a look and give suggestions. Ideally, ask a really great STR PM for advice, as well as a STR specialized real estate agent.
Real Estate Agent · Greenbsoro, NC · Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 2 votes
3y
Laundry is the most time-consuming aspect of mine, so I have the housekeeper message as a co-host the morning of (I think she has it automated). She asks them to start the laundry, and if they have time to throw it in the dryer before they leave. They almost always do, and she's able to get in and out within 2-3 hours (3bd/~1100sq ft).
Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
So long as your property is not one of those extremely large STR that needs a full day in between guests, you should be able to get the property done within a couple hours. Whoever is cleaning the property would need to be committed to start within 30 or so minutes after check-out time. That is key to finishing the property before check-in time and also making sure no damage was done. To help with the time laundry takes... have 3 sets of sheets, towels, etc. One set in use, one set extra, and the dirty set is taken off site to be cleaned and then returned at the next turnover.
Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
3y
I think the hold up is your cleaners... you need to get them in quick turn overs. You shouldn't be shutting down days for them. A normal turn over is about 3-5 hrs depending on the size of your home. My 5 bedroom house, the cleaner brings in 3-4 people to bust it out. I have a 2 bedroom that only 1 cleaner comes and takes her 2-3 hrs. They are not deep cleaning.... that is a separate clean that I do every 2-3 months when I have a downtime.
Laundry is the most time-consuming aspect of mine, so I have the housekeeper message as a co-host the morning of (I think she has it automated). She asks them to start the laundry, and if they have time to throw it in the dryer before they leave. They almost always do, and she's able to get in and out within 2-3 hours (3bd/~1100sq ft).
I provide my cleaners with 2-3 sets of everything so they do not have to do laundry on site (though they could). They do laundry and store it on their site at no additional charge to me other than a flat-fee cleaning charge. I used to ask guests to start a load, but I decided I'd rather not have guests do ANY work (I hate seeing a list of chores, though I really don't mind doing them myself - except taking out the trash.) Guests pay a cleaning fee, so that covers it now for me.