Neighbor Issues - Nuisance complaints and AirBnB delisting

Neighbor Issues - Nuisance complaints and AirBnB delisting

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote

My BnB is one unit of a four duplex pod that shares a central driveway. It has been used as a STR for the last few years. I bought it turnkey in June. There had been no issues prior. I believe my neighbor was frustrated and was hoping that it would not continue as an STR after the sale, and so she has gone on the offensive. Rules are in place and enforced. It's a higher end STR that attracts good clientele. The PM is responsive. And the complaints have generally been about minor things (e.g., one piece of paper in the driveway), though we did have a bad guest that partied into the night and stole some of my furniture (the pulled the plug on the WiFi so noise monitoring was off). It is not part of an HOA. She has also started harassing guests.

She has taken to repeatedly complaining to AirBnB whose policy, I guess, is to immediately delist. The PM then has to contact them, provide information, and eventually get the property listed again. I don't have any expectation that I'll be able to change AirBnB policies so that they don't shut me down for the same thing over and over that's been shown to be a nuisance complaint repeatedly. So I think my next step is to send a Cease & Desist to the neighbor with the threat of holding her accountable for lost revenues. 

Anyone have any other less aggressive suggestions? Anyone have similar experiences?

0Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y

@Steve Ford

How about pick of the phone and first have a conversation with them?

Regarding a cease and desist, what are you having them to cease and desist? If they are filing false complaints it’s one thing but if it complaining and it’s true, even if it’s minor in nature - that’s more an Airbnb issue and they know how to game the system.

Reality to is if you get them to stop whose to stop them to ask a friend etc.

Your best bet is to talk to them and find out what the Cruz of the issue is

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Steve Ford

    How about pick of the phone and first have a conversation with them?

    Regarding a cease and desist, what are you having them to cease and desist? If they are filing false complaints it’s one thing but if it complaining and it’s true, even if it’s minor in nature - that’s more an Airbnb issue and they know how to game the system.

    Reality to is if you get them to stop whose to stop them to ask a friend etc.

    Your best bet is to talk to them and find out what the Cruz of the issue is

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Thanks Chris. Fair points. C&D would be for harassing guests and maybe nuisance reporting. May not be enforceable, but would make a point. Will admit I'm escalating to some degree because I'm frustrated she escalated so quickly and didn't make an attempt to work through issues. Appreciate your frank, constructive response. I'll think about how I might foster a constructive conversation first.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Have a lawyer send the cease and desist letter, with the threat that she will be responsible for your lost rental income if she continues to harass your guests and impact your bookings. I hope you are on Vrbo and have a route for direct booking. It's always a good idea to screenshot the guests' info as soon as they book, in case Airbnb shuts you down like this and it disappears off their site. Did they say they are cancelling your future bookings? There's a Facebook group I'm on called STR Legal Barriers & Action where people will have other recommendations for you.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Thank you Lauren. Not having future bookings cancelled at the moment.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I have been down this road before.

    Eventually they get tired and give up.  I would try to have a call with them and convince them you are trying to be a good neighbor and you are on the same team.  They should call you instead of calling police or Airbnb.  If they do call, make sure you respond quickly.

    If that does not work go with the lawyer letter.  I have only had to do that once and it worked.

  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 505 posts · 551 votes
    2y

    I'll echo everyone's sentiments and say to try to give it a shot by talking more with them. I had a similar situation with a neighbor that constantly caused issues. We tried to talk multiple times and calmed things down eventually. After about a year, he randomly decided to cause more problems and even drove onto my property while my cleaners were there. I had to get a trespassing warning issued to him at that point. It's easier to try and talk, but as mentioned, they sometimes give up over time. She seems like she may be in it for the long run, though, so keep documenting everything you can. 

  • Property Manager · Destin, FL · Member since 2023 · 83 posts · 27 votes
    2y

    Sometimes there is no reasoning with a Karen! Yes, follow the advise others have wisely provided - talk to her first, if not, issue a lawyer notice. That should intimidate her enough to back off. But then again flipside, that may light a wildfire under her and make her go scorched earth on you. You need a solution, ask her what that solution is without asking you to stop STR, maybe the petulant child has an acceptable answer in her mind?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.