Consider buying an existing short term rental

Consider buying an existing short term rental

Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes

Dear BP community, 

I am currently evaluating a property for purchase, and the listed bedroom/bathroom (s) count does not match with the county records. Also, the original septic is built for a 2-bedroom/1 bath home, but now the sellers have added another 3 beds and 3 baths. The sellers are not interested in updating the county's records or getting the septic expansion done. Are these a deal breaker/walk away or negotiate.  Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you! 

2Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y

What if the county/city will not approve a bigger septic tank? I'd find this out.

This would be a deal breaker if the city doesn't at leave put in writing that you can legally put in a bigger Septic tank to accommodate the bedrooms that have been added.

Also was the increase in house size done legally since they weren't required to upsize the septic tank? Maybe they didn't have proper permits? 

Lots of questions I would want the answers to.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Have you considered negotiating the price or getting a credit with the sellers and doing the work yourself? Does this property need any more rehab work? 

    They may have a challenging time finding a buyer with a lender that can finance this property. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    The property has been sitting longer on the market; however, the location is great. Doing the work on my own has some challenges as it is an out of state property. How much would did cost to expand the septic tank and the associated regulations change to reflect in the county records. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I would not say it is a deal breaker but I would speak with the city/county as well as septic contractors to get an idea of the cost (in dollars and time) and use these items to negotiate/renegotiate with the seller.  

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    What if the county/city will not approve a bigger septic tank? I'd find this out.

    This would be a deal breaker if the city doesn't at leave put in writing that you can legally put in a bigger Septic tank to accommodate the bedrooms that have been added.

    Also was the increase in house size done legally since they weren't required to upsize the septic tank? Maybe they didn't have proper permits? 

    Lots of questions I would want the answers to.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    1y

    Hi Raghavendra! The mismatch in bed/bath count and the existing septic system capacity are important factors to consider. An undersized septic system may lead to compliance issues, maintenance problems, and costly upgrades. If the sellers aren’t willing to update records or make necessary improvements, it’s essential to weigh the potential risks and long-term impact. Negotiating a lower price to account for these issues could be an option, but if they’re not flexible, it may be best to explore other opportunities.

    Happy to connect if you’d like to discuss further!

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    I would not say it is a deal breaker but I would speak with the city/county as well as septic contractors to get an idea of the cost (in dollars and time) and use these items to negotiate/renegotiate with the seller.  


     Sounds good. Thank you!

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    What if the county/city will not approve a bigger septic tank? I'd find this out.

    This would be a deal breaker if the city doesn't at leave put in writing that you can legally put in a bigger Septic tank to accommodate the bedrooms that have been added.

    Also was the increase in house size done legally since they weren't required to upsize the septic tank? Maybe they didn't have proper permits? 

    Lots of questions I would want the answers to.


    That's a good question. How can we tell if the increase in house size done legally as there is HOA governing for this location? Should they gotten permit from the county?

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Street:

    Hi Raghavendra! The mismatch in bed/bath count and the existing septic system capacity are important factors to consider. An undersized septic system may lead to compliance issues, maintenance problems, and costly upgrades. If the sellers aren’t willing to update records or make necessary improvements, it’s essential to weigh the potential risks and long-term impact. Negotiating a lower price to account for these issues could be an option, but if they’re not flexible, it may be best to explore other opportunities.

    Happy to connect if you’d like to discuss further!


     Exactly. I will try and get answers for the questions, but eventually if the risk is more, probably move away from the deal. Thank you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2024 · 107 posts · 45 votes
    1y

    My first question is: Do you need to register your short-term rental in that town or city? If so, do they conduct inspections? How often, and what does that process look like?

    Even if inspections aren’t required now, that could change in the future. If the city decides to enforce inspections later and your property isn’t compliant, you may need to make costly updates to bring it up to code.

    It ultimately comes down to your risk tolerance. If I believe I can generate enough profit this year and navigate any potential inspections next year, I’d be comfortable moving forward—using the income earned to cover any necessary upgrades.

    An alternative exit strategy is to document the financial performance and sell the property as-is, highlighting its strong short-term rental income.

    Think through your next five moves, from best to worst-case scenarios, and make a decision that aligns with your goals.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I would run from this. The land that this property was built on was approved based upon the capability of the land to support the septic needs of a specified-sized property. If the health department felt that there was an adequate field to support septic for a larger dwelling, they would have said so from the very beginning.  The health department doesn't limit the size of the approval in order to be difficult; they do so to ensure safety and sanitation of the occupants of the house and its neighbors.

    I see this all of the time in the Smokies.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Raghavendra Pillappa:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    What if the county/city will not approve a bigger septic tank? I'd find this out.

    This would be a deal breaker if the city doesn't at leave put in writing that you can legally put in a bigger Septic tank to accommodate the bedrooms that have been added.

    Also was the increase in house size done legally since they weren't required to upsize the septic tank? Maybe they didn't have proper permits? 

    Lots of questions I would want the answers to.


    That's a good question. How can we tell if the increase in house size done legally as there is HOA governing for this location? Should they gotten permit from the county?


     Yes check with the county to make sure permits were pulled for the addition.

    Make sure this is permitted to be a STR with the bedroom count you expect.

    Something may be unpermitted if they still have a 2 bedroom septic tank.

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I would run from this. The land that this property was built on was approved based upon the capability of the land to support the septic needs of a specified-sized property. If the health department felt that there was an adequate field to support septic for a larger dwelling, they would have said so from the very beginning.  The health department doesn't limit the size of the approval in order to be difficult; they do so to ensure safety and sanitation of the occupants of the house and its neighbors.

    I see this all of the time in the Smokies.

    You mean run away from this? I pulled the septic/well records from 1970 and no records of any inspection or anything after that. This property is in shenandoah valley, so my plan is to findout from the local county office/health dept. Thank you.
  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Raghavendra Pillappa:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    What if the county/city will not approve a bigger septic tank? I'd find this out.

    This would be a deal breaker if the city doesn't at leave put in writing that you can legally put in a bigger Septic tank to accommodate the bedrooms that have been added.

    Also was the increase in house size done legally since they weren't required to upsize the septic tank? Maybe they didn't have proper permits? 

    Lots of questions I would want the answers to.


    That's a good question. How can we tell if the increase in house size done legally as there is HOA governing for this location? Should they gotten permit from the county?


     Yes check with the county to make sure permits were pulled for the addition.

    Make sure this is permitted to be a STR with the bedroom count you expect.

    Something may be unpermitted if they still have a 2 bedroom septic tank.


     Perfect, this is what i intend to do. Thank you for the emphasis. 

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sameul Ahsan:

    My first question is: Do you need to register your short-term rental in that town or city? If so, do they conduct inspections? How often, and what does that process look like?

    Even if inspections aren’t required now, that could change in the future. If the city decides to enforce inspections later and your property isn’t compliant, you may need to make costly updates to bring it up to code.

    It ultimately comes down to your risk tolerance. If I believe I can generate enough profit this year and navigate any potential inspections next year, I’d be comfortable moving forward—using the income earned to cover any necessary upgrades.

    An alternative exit strategy is to document the financial performance and sell the property as-is, highlighting its strong short-term rental income.

    Think through your next five moves, from best to worst-case scenarios, and make a decision that aligns with your goals.


    According to the realtor, this county doesnot need a STR permit. guessing no inspections? Yes, definitely can change in the future. I will findout more information about all the great questions you posted :) Thank you.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Raghavendra Pillappa:
    Quote from @Sameul Ahsan:

    My first question is: Do you need to register your short-term rental in that town or city? If so, do they conduct inspections? How often, and what does that process look like?

    Even if inspections aren’t required now, that could change in the future. If the city decides to enforce inspections later and your property isn’t compliant, you may need to make costly updates to bring it up to code.

    It ultimately comes down to your risk tolerance. If I believe I can generate enough profit this year and navigate any potential inspections next year, I’d be comfortable moving forward—using the income earned to cover any necessary upgrades.

    An alternative exit strategy is to document the financial performance and sell the property as-is, highlighting its strong short-term rental income.

    Think through your next five moves, from best to worst-case scenarios, and make a decision that aligns with your goals.


    According to the realtor, this county doesnot need a STR permit. guessing no inspections? Yes, definitely can change in the future. I will findout more information about all the great questions you posted :) Thank you.

    No inspections is all well and good, but that’s not the real issue. If the septic was only permitted for X, and you are buying Y, then you are going to have problems. It’s too much human waste for the lot to handle.  

    That’s how these things are permitted. It isn’t just some random, arbitrary number they pull out of thin air. There’s actual science behind it.

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Makes sense, understand. Thank you.

  • Ben FernandezBusiness Member
    Realtor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2025 · 169 posts · 97 votes
    1y

    Make the offer that suits your assessments. If they aren't playing ball, walk away.

    You will need to make sure the home is code compliant. If not, you assume the risk and all potential consequences attached. Evidently, they did not pull permits.

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    I'm a short term rental specialist in the Shenandoah Valley. If it's a 2 bedroom on paper and a 5 bedroom in reality, then this is a significant problem and is probable a big reason why you say it's been sitting on the market. There's a chance that a septic upgrade will work, but also a chance that it's simply not possible. I recently bought a 3 bedroom in Elkton VA (Rockingham County) and expanded the septic to allow for a 5 bedroom. All-in cost of that is around $21k, and we had to get creative to make it work given the drain field site. You could try to "fly under the radar" and use the existing septic but 5 vs 2 bedrooms is a massive difference so I have to think you'll be dealing with septic problems. Additionally, I don't know exactly which county you're considering buying in, but some around here don't require permits… yet… but I think that's coming. Also, all it takes is one neighbor who doesn't like you to look up your 5 bedroom Airbnb listing and your 2 bedroom house in county records to report you to the health dept, and then so much for flying under the radar. If you get serious about buying the house, feel free to shoot me a DM and let me know the county… I can connect you with an OSE who could probably take a look at the records and tell you what is possible regarding septic expansion.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    1y

    I have bought a place and expanded a septic in Sevier County, TN.  You need to know the septic system rules for the area and that lot specifically.  It was easy to do on the lot I did it on as it was subdivided in the 1980s and was grandfathered in under the rules for then. The lot next door was added to the subdivision around 2000 and goes by completely different rules.  If I bought what you are looking at, I would only buy it at a price in which is in line with how it is permitted.  If the addition is not permitted, I would run away. 

  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    I would report them to the county and have the county force them to fix it if you wanted to gut them.  However, the other option is to write a letter and have your agent present it to them with a counteroffer.  They must disclose this to any future buyers because they know this.  I had a similar issue on my last deal and got another $25K off.  If they still do nothing, you walk away.  Then, in a week, have a friend of yours contact the listing agent and get it under contract.  If they don't disclose it to the new buyer, then have them close.  Then the agent and seller are liable for any damages you have.  Fix the problem and make them pay for it.   The agent has insurance, but clearly, they should not be an agent if they don't disclose this.  But there are a lot of unethical agents out there.    

    I have 12 STRs and am launching 20 more this year. I am building them especially for STRs, but they will have a cash flow as regular rentals. I call them Micro hotels/co-op living—12-bedroom duplexes with 12 baths and two standard common living room kitchen spaces. Bedrooms are 350 sqft. In general, most people value STRs for sale based on the income of the STR. You should base your purchase on what you make as a long-term tenant. If those numbers don't work, then don't buy it. STR is just a bonus. This model works just about everywhere besides places that have occupancy limits.

    Unless this is a place you want to go hang out, it is for fun, not an investment. You can lose money on those deals. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Raghavendra Pillappa, late to the party here but everyone said it best.

    I wouldn't move forward on this until you find out all the details on if the septic can be expanded and if things were done correctly to add the bedrooms. Need to be permitted and I am going to say it probably wasn't.

    If the septic is only for a 2/1, then the county/city wouldn't approved the expansion as the current septic doesn't work for it.

    Most likely this would be a pass.

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ben Fernandez:

    Make the offer that suits your assessments. If they aren't playing ball, walk away.

    You will need to make sure the home is code compliant. If not, you assume the risk and all potential consequences attached. Evidently, they did not pull permits.


     Exactly, i am trying to be code compliant and seems like an uphill task. Thank you for your input. 

  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Ritter:

    I'm a short term rental specialist in the Shenandoah Valley. If it's a 2 bedroom on paper and a 5 bedroom in reality, then this is a significant problem and is probable a big reason why you say it's been sitting on the market. There's a chance that a septic upgrade will work, but also a chance that it's simply not possible. I recently bought a 3 bedroom in Elkton VA (Rockingham County) and expanded the septic to allow for a 5 bedroom. All-in cost of that is around $21k, and we had to get creative to make it work given the drain field site. You could try to "fly under the radar" and use the existing septic but 5 vs 2 bedrooms is a massive difference so I have to think you'll be dealing with septic problems. Additionally, I don't know exactly which county you're considering buying in, but some around here don't require permits… yet… but I think that's coming. Also, all it takes is one neighbor who doesn't like you to look up your 5 bedroom Airbnb listing and your 2 bedroom house in county records to report you to the health dept, and then so much for flying under the radar. If you get serious about buying the house, feel free to shoot me a DM and let me know the county… I can connect you with an OSE who could probably take a look at the records and tell you what is possible regarding septic expansion.

    Hello Chris, 
    Good to know the cost. This property is in page county and i am sure how to get them to fix it. Unless it is fixed i am not comfortable to move forward as in the long run, i will have a problem to re-sell. I will shoot a DM and chat more. Appreciate jumping on to this discussion. Thanks a ton :)
  • Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Matthew Becker:

    I would report them to the county and have the county force them to fix it if you wanted to gut them.  However, the other option is to write a letter and have your agent present it to them with a counteroffer.  They must disclose this to any future buyers because they know this.  I had a similar issue on my last deal and got another $25K off.  If they still do nothing, you walk away.  Then, in a week, have a friend of yours contact the listing agent and get it under contract.  If they don't disclose it to the new buyer, then have them close.  Then the agent and seller are liable for any damages you have.  Fix the problem and make them pay for it.   The agent has insurance, but clearly, they should not be an agent if they don't disclose this.  But there are a lot of unethical agents out there.    

    I have 12 STRs and am launching 20 more this year. I am building them especially for STRs, but they will have a cash flow as regular rentals. I call them Micro hotels/co-op living—12-bedroom duplexes with 12 baths and two standard common living room kitchen spaces. Bedrooms are 350 sqft. In general, most people value STRs for sale based on the income of the STR. You should base your purchase on what you make as a long-term tenant. If those numbers don't work, then don't buy it. STR is just a bonus. This model works just about everywhere besides places that have occupancy limits.

    Unless this is a place you want to go hang out, it is for fun, not an investment. You can lose money on those deals. 

    Hello Matthew, 
    Looks like if i get a discount of say 20-30 k, i will still will be under the water for accepting to update the records and bear the consequences which no one know how it goes. Thank you for providing me some real useful strategies here. I would shoot a DM to learn more about your micro hotels- projects. Appreciate your input. Thank you. 
  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    It is a bit of a risk.  To really give you good advice I would have to ask you a lot of questions. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.