Accountant · Brea, CA · Member since 2018 · 111 posts · 61 votes
Cost segregation can dramatically accelerate depreciation and tax benefits, but I've seen investors waste money on studies that delivered minimal value. Let me share what I've learned about when they truly make sense.
The clearest wins come with: - Properties purchased (not inherited) within the last 5 years - Commercial or larger multifamily with substantial improvements - Assets you plan to hold for at least 3-5 years - Purchase prices exceeding $1 million - Properties with significant non-structural components
I recently reviewed a case where an investor spent $4,000 on a cost segregation study for a $950,000 duplex constructed in 1978. The resulting first-year tax benefit was approximately $8,200 due to passive loss suspension rules. Not worth the cost of the study since it did not accelerate the regular 27.5-year depreciation.
By contrast, another investor's $12,000 study on a recently renovated $3.8M office building yielded first-year additional deductions worth over $120,000 in tax benefits - a clear home run.
The quality of the engineering team matters tremendously. The best studies involve on-site inspection and photographic documentation rather than just plan reviews and assumptions.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y
Someone posted a really good explanation that you are taking tax deductions today at the expense of tax deductions down the road. You're not creating any new money.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y
Someone posted a really good explanation that you are taking tax deductions today at the expense of tax deductions down the road. You're not creating any new money.
Someone posted a really good explanation that you are taking tax deductions today at the expense of tax deductions down the road. You're not creating any new money.
It was a much better explanation than this.
This. “Pay me now, pay me later, but pay me you will.”
My post is not an explanation of the cost segregation, it's about the timing of performing the study.
But yes, cost segregation is a way to accelerate depreciation and use the money saved to invest in the next property and so on. The taxes will be paid regardless when you sell the property, but some investors defer it further by doing 1031 exchange or to create generational wealth.
Agree with you. Although, I heard rumors that Trump will bring the 100% bonus depreciation back in 2025, we will wait and see.
Also, some investors still think that regardless of the 100% bonus, accelerating deprection over 5 - 15 years is more beneficial than over 27.5 or 39 years.
That is a great price for a cost seg. study. Do they do the site visit or offer any audit support?
@Mohamed Youssef Site visit is remote. They use whatever photos from the MLS listing, your AirBnb listing, and any other information you provide them such as the Scope of Work for your rehab or anything else. I believe they offer audit support. Feel free to PM me for a referral
That is a great price for a cost seg. study. Do they do the site visit or offer any audit support?
@Mohamed Youssef Site visit is remote. They use whatever photos from the MLS listing, your AirBnb listing, and any other information you provide them such as the Scope of Work for your rehab or anything else. I believe they offer audit support. Feel free to PM me for a referral
There is no way that is a legit cost seg. Mine are 100+ pages with photos.
I have done many cost segs and recommended them to clients as well. Even this year at 40%...maybe it's worth it, depends on the math. Many people do not hold a property for the life of the normal depreciation anyway.
Accountant , CPA, MBA in Finance, MS in Taxation · Redmond, WA · Member since 2025 · 172 posts · 135 votes
1y
Here's my take on this as a tax guy who sees a lot of STRs:
1. If you do the short-term rental thing right, you will avoid having losses treated as passive. (You only need to have an average rental interval of 7 days or less, materially participate which you may be able to do with a few hours or at most with 100ish hours, and then not screw up by getting entangled in Section 280A.) That means you will be able to use the nonpassive losses.
2. Cost segregation studies move deductions out of future decades and mostly into the purchase year and the year following that. Waiting two or gulp even three decades to deduct your depreciation? That ignores the time value of money. And inflation.
3. They really aren't as expensive as some of the worst case numbers people throw around.
Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
1y
I had cost segs done on all my properties last year. Due to them being in two primary locations the price was economical including the site visit. Why all?
1. It is cheaper to do all at once.
2. Just because it was done this past year doesn't mean I have to utilize it right away.
3. It gives my CPA several options when developing my tax filing strategy for each year depending on the current tax law environment.
4. I plan my tax strategy for +3 yrs out. No need to worry about paying taxes if you plan properly.
5. It also relieves the pressure to find "this year's" write off. I make acquisition or developments based on fundamentals not "needed write off/depreciation".
Accountant · Brea, CA · Member since 2018 · 111 posts · 61 votes
1y
Quote from @Account Closed:
I had cost segs done on all my properties last year. Due to them being in two primary locations the price was economical including the site visit. Why all?
1. It is cheaper to do all at once.
2. Just because it was done this past year doesn't mean I have to utilize it right away.
3. It gives my CPA several options when developing my tax filing strategy for each year depending on the current tax law environment.
4. I plan my tax strategy for +3 yrs out. No need to worry about paying taxes if you plan properly.
5. It also relieves the pressure to find "this year's" write off. I make acquisition or developments based on fundamentals not "needed write off/depreciation".
It is a good idea to get them all done at once if they are all in the same vicinity.
I feel DIY and remote cost seg. studies will be a red flag in case of an IRS audit. I honestly never recommend them to my clients and would prefer to go with a more reputable engineering firm that does site visits, documentation, and photos. They also provide support and back up their study in case of an audit. Just for peace of mind.
I feel DIY and remote cost seg. studies will be a red flag in case of an IRS audit. I honestly never recommend them to my clients and would prefer to go with a more reputable engineering firm that does site visits, documentation, and photos. They also provide support and back up their study in case of an audit. Just for peace of mind.
The benefit covers the cost anyway.
Great point! While it may seem like a simple concept, cost segregation studies are actually a very complex process that requires significant documentation as well as specific methodologies. If the proper reports and documentation are not completed, you run the risk of failing an IRS audit and the cost segregation not being honored.
Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 6 votes
1y
I think cost segregation makes total sense for most investors, even for those where the return is only 2-3X. But, and it is a BIG BUT, they are typically not less than a $1000. Much closer to $4000-$5000. Beware of just anyone doing these as you could be subject to an audit, and a group that does not follow proper IRS guidelines could ultimately get you in trouble.
Property Manager · Cleaveland, OH · Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
7mo
I think the timing aspect is what really makes or breaks a cost seg study, so I’m glad you clarified that. In my eight years as a property manager, I’ve seen owners rush into a study right after purchase without fully looking at their income for that year, and others delay it when it could have offset a strong income year. If you’re having an unusually high-income year or you just placed a larger asset into service, accelerating depreciation sooner can make sense. On the other hand, if income is lower or you’re not sure about holding long term, it may be worth being more strategic about when you trigger that front-loaded depreciation. Timing should align with taxable income, holding horizon, and overall portfolio plans, not just the purchase date.