Pros & Cons of Each STR Strategy

Pros & Cons of Each STR Strategy

Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 75 posts · 88 votes

Let's Talk STR Strategies. I've tried them all and have my biases…

I currently own 5 short term rentals. At one point I had 3 additional properties that I ran on the Arbitrage model. And I had 2 more I ran on the cohosting/management model. Here are my pros and cons to each.

Arbitrage

Pros:

  • - I had little issues finding owners willing to rent to me and I was up front on my intentions
  • - Startup costs were doable. I typically spent about $10-12k to furnish a 3/2
  • - Predictable monthly payment
  • - A way to test certain neighborhood or markets
  • - Faster scaling

Cons:

  • - Owner still has final say. They can raise the rent next year.
  • - Less customization you can do to the house
  • - You are at the mercy of the owner for larger repairs (if they are responsible per your lease). But they don’t have your guests to worry about.
  • - First year was mostly a breakeven year after furnishing costs. Typically didn’t see true profit til after 1 year.
  • -Hard to sell furniture or business if you need to exit

Management

Pros:

  • - Lowest cost to entry and risk to the operator
  • - Property owner assumes most risk and I had them purchase the furniture
  • - Easier to sell the business once you scale. I’ve heard of many in this space selling to national brands once they build some client base

Cons:

  • - Lower potential revenue to operator without scaling
  • - At the mercy of the owner for certain repairs and upgrades
  • - Lots of competition (typical % splits have started to come down with this). You’re also competing with huge national/regional management firms
  • - You are in service. Service to guest and to owners.

Ownership

Pros:

  • - You have complete control over design, upgrades, repairs, etc.
  • - Highest potential income when factoring in Tax benefits, Home appreciation, Loan Paydown
  • - Semi-flexible. You could convert to an LTR or MTR possibly if the numbers work.
  • - Creative financing can be used

Cons:

  • - Risk - you are locked in to a long term loan. Selling the home if it doesn’t work out could be an option but you could take a loss
  • - You are responsible for all repairs
  • - Capital intensive

In San Antonio specifically, I think the ownership model is superior. I worry about the arbitrage model with rising rents and insurance costs for STRs. Moreover, it is hard to find a rental home that can stand out. This is my personal opinion but I have seen San Antonio add some barriers to the cohost and abritrage model more (require notarized signatures and approval from owner to get an STR permit) so I wonder what else may come down in future legislation to limit STRs.

City enforcement is no joke. I’ve had city compliance officers knock on my STRs doors while I had guests there for no reason. They are required to investigate any complaint. Even when you do EVERYTHING right with the city they can still crack down on you (you can see my older posts about my crazy ordeal that still makes zero sense with the city - long story short, I lost that battle with them!)

Curious to hear yall's thoughts on which model you think is best!

3Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8mo

Arbitrage and cohosting are just jobs with no investor component. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8mo

    I agree ownership has most risk but most rewards. You can minimize the risk by proper up front due diligence. 

    I stay away from city STRs for the reasons you mentioned with code enforcement. 

    I also stay away from Condos and HOAs due to rules that can change, fees that can increase or be tacked on and just being too close to other people where complaints are more likely. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8mo

    Arbitrage and cohosting are just jobs with no investor component. 

    • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      Arbitrage and cohosting are just jobs with no investor component. 


       That is a really good way to put that!

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    8mo

    Hey Sherylyn! Thanks for sharing such a detailed breakdown. I really appreciate the honesty about the pros and cons of each model. I can totally relate to some of the challenges you mentioned with arbitrage and co-hosting, especially when it comes to being at the mercy of owners or city regulations.

    For me, I’ve personally leaned toward the ownership model as well, especially in markets where STR regulations are tightening. The control over design, upgrades, and guest experience is huge, and while the upfront investment is bigger, it tends to pay off long-term with consistent income and appreciation. That said, I've found a hybrid approach can also work—owning a few core properties while co-hosting or managing a couple more to test different neighborhoods or strategies without tying up as much capital.

    Curious, how do you handle city compliance in San Antonio? I’d love to hear how you’ve navigated that, because I know even the most diligent operators can run into unexpected enforcement issues.

    • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 75 posts · 88 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Andrew Street:

      Hey Sherylyn! Thanks for sharing such a detailed breakdown. I really appreciate the honesty about the pros and cons of each model. I can totally relate to some of the challenges you mentioned with arbitrage and co-hosting, especially when it comes to being at the mercy of owners or city regulations.

      For me, I’ve personally leaned toward the ownership model as well, especially in markets where STR regulations are tightening. The control over design, upgrades, and guest experience is huge, and while the upfront investment is bigger, it tends to pay off long-term with consistent income and appreciation. That said, I've found a hybrid approach can also work—owning a few core properties while co-hosting or managing a couple more to test different neighborhoods or strategies without tying up as much capital.

      Curious, how do you handle city compliance in San Antonio? I’d love to hear how you’ve navigated that, because I know even the most diligent operators can run into unexpected enforcement issues.


      That's a smart approach! Testing areas before deploying capital.

      I don't agree with all the city rules and especially their seemingly overarching authority and lack of accountability when they make a mistake but I do abide by them to the best of my ability.

      TLDR: i did everything right once, applied for a permit > was approved > then starting renting as an STR > then 6 months letter I get an email that they approved that in error and I must cease all operations > I went to the "board" which was a joke and was still denied even when explaining this was their error and i invested quite a bit that I will now lose on. Getting back to your question: before I buy a home, I check their online site to ensure I can get a permit there and ALSO email them having them confirm via email. I do my own due diligence and also have the city verify and get a permit. It's not foolproof but I learned the hard way! I also always report my HOT taxes on time and ensure any complaints are handled swiftly and accordingly.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    Good info! I think a lot of this will vary by market.  Arbitrage is nearly impossible IMHO in my market.  I've seen some markets oversaturated with PM's and some markets have a shortage of competent PM's.  Knowing your market is key!

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Sherylyn,
    Thanks for taking the time and doing the analysis.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.