New to STR- Market Selection

New to STR- Market Selection

Mohamed IbrahimPro Member
Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 6 votes

Hello,
I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
Thanks,

Mo

5Reply
233 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5mo

Im biased, but Tampa still cashflows with the right property :)

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    Im biased, but Tampa still cashflows with the right property :)

  • Mike PaolucciBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2022 · 499 posts · 553 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo


     I'm little biased as well but Columbus has treated me very well so far. Cleveland can also be a good spot with the right teams in place. 

    • Mohamed IbrahimPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 6 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Mike Paolucci:
      Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

      Hello,
      I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
      Thanks,

      Mo


       I'm little biased as well but Columbus has treated me very well so far. Cleveland can also be a good spot with the right teams in place. 


       Hello Mike,
      Sure, I am happy to hear more about it 

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    5mo

    Hey Mo, I own a couple short term rentals and 30 plus long term rentals and the biggest thing I’ve learned is don’t chase loopholes chase deals that make sense because the rules can change fast. My STRs have done well in areas with real demand not just hype and I always make sure they still work as long term rentals just in case. Focus on markets with population growth jobs and steady tourism and then go deep on one area instead of jumping around. Look at occupancy rates nightly averages and expenses and keep it simple if the numbers work you’ll feel it pretty quickly.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6277 Reviews
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo


    I have been doing STR investing in Columbus, Ohio for almost 10 years now. It has been great. I recently started doing MTR as well

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo

    Most of the midwest markets should work. I personally would say Columbus as I have been investing here for the last few years

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 940 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo


    STRs can work well, but the biggest thing right now is being careful with regulations since a lot of markets are tightening up. That’s why many investors are getting more selective and either focusing on very STR-friendly areas or mixing in long-term rentals for stability. If you’re open to out-of-state, some Midwest markets like Ohio don’t always scream STR at first, but certain pockets still perform well and give you the option to pivot to long-term rentals if needed. The key is picking a market where you’re not locked into one strategy so you can adapt as rules or demand shift.
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo

    Hey Mo, good question—and you’re already thinking about it the right way by looking into regulations early. On STRs right now, I’d be careful about starting with “market lists” because a lot of people jump straight into that and miss the bigger issue, which is whether the area actually allows what they’re trying to do long term. In general, the setups that still tend to work are places with consistent demand drivers like tourism, outdoor recreation, or steady business travel, but more importantly where local rules aren’t constantly shifting or restricting short-term rentals every few months. For beginners especially, I’d focus more on stability than chasing top nightly rates. A lot of STR deals look great on paper but fall apart once you factor in occupancy swings, cleaning costs, insurance, and regulation risk. That’s why some investors now build in a backup plan from day one, like being able to switch to mid-term stays if STR demand slows down seasonally or rules tighten. If your goal is 1–2 properties by end of year, I’d keep it simple: pick one clear strategy (STR or STR+mid-term hybrid), make sure the numbers still work at conservative occupancy, and spend most of your effort validating rules and real comps rather than trying to find the “perfect” high-yield spot. That alone will save you a lot of headaches early on. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo

     You should look into the midwest @Mohamed Ibrahim. Short term and mid-term rentals perform pretty well there and you can buy there and furrnish at cheaper prices. In my market, most investors buy near the university and hospitals and do very well. 

  • Investor · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    5mo

    I am no trying to be mean to anyone that has posted where they have found success but it seems like there are a lot of posts from the Columbus, OH market. Seems to me like that would be a place to look with caution with so many investors already offering the same product.

    If the goal is the Midwest, I would think Indianapolis would be a good place to look with all the different sporting events & festivals that come to town throughout the year (thinking specifically of the Big Ten tournaments and college sports in general).

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    @Mohamed Ibrahim - even in a great market, I've found that 85% or more STRs actually do not perform very well. The important thing is to study the local market (open up all the Airbnbs in a market you are interested), identify the performing units, and copy their success.

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    5mo

    Hey Mo, I’ll add a little real world context from my side… I’ve got a couple STRs and 30+ long term rentals, and my STRs are doing well, but not because I chased hype markets. They’re in areas with real demand, and I keep them simple, nothing crazy or overdesigned. They stay booked pretty consistently, but I underwrite them assuming lower occupancy so I’m never surprised. The biggest thing is they still make sense as long term rentals if I ever need to pivot, and that’s honestly what lets me sleep at night. If you build it that way from day one, you’re not gambling, you’re just giving yourself options.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6277 Reviews
  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Mohamed Ibrahim:

    Hello,
    I am interested in starting my STR journey, especially while taking advantage of the STR loophole. I have a goal of securing 1 or 2 properties before the end of the year. I have been learning, but it's time to take actions. Please share a few markets where you suggest I start, where you have been successful, so I can begin looking into it.
    Thanks,

    Mo

    @Mohamed Ibrahim

    for STR market selection I'd start by looking at rental demand, local STR regulations, seasonality, insurance/taxes, and whether the numbers support DSCR financing. Once you narrow down a few markets or properties, financing can help determine which deal actually works.

    DreamPoint Capital
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.