Reducing time between short term guest

Reducing time between short term guest

Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes

Hello all,

My partner and I have began managing short term rentals in our area for other host.  Generally the most time intensive properties for managing these properties is the turnover between guest.  Luckily we have found cleaners that do a great job for a good price.  Our main concern now is the time it takes to clean and store linens as we still do this work ourselves.  I wanted to know if anyone has a solution for reducing the time it takes to get through turning over linens in your short term rentals?

Thanks

0Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 312 posts · 165 votes
8y

Same with @Julie McCoy we use the backup linens while washing the used one onsite because we have a washer and dryer at the rental.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Have multiple sets of linens.  I have three sets per bed.  Laundry is done off-site.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 397 votes
    8y

    I include in the depart instructions to have the used linens washed and at least put in the dryer prior to departure. I have never had a complaint and everyone has been compliant so far. 

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 312 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    Same with @Julie McCoy we use the backup linens while washing the used one onsite because we have a washer and dryer at the rental.

  • Rental Property Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2017 · 419 posts · 499 votes
    8y

    Both answers above are spot on. Another thing I can add, make sure your check out time and check in time leaves enough time. 

    I have 11am checkouts and 4pm check ins.  Worst case, you can turnover a few loads in that time and get it handled on site. As your machines break down make sure to replace them with the max capacity ones. That’s made a huge difference for me and I’m able to do all laundry onsite. 

    Use (or create) an owners closet that you keep everything in.  As linenes are being washed, use a different set and start making the beds. That way all you need to do is fold them and put them away. 

    5 hours is more than enough time for my cleaners to turn over my 3-4 bedroom units. 1-2 bedrooms should be 2 hours max. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    8y

    2 for 2 @Julie McCoy - Ditto, multiple linens, send them out to be cleaned.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have one house where it's actually more practical to do the laundry on-site (no good local access to send out the laundry) but even then multiple sets of linens mean the house can be done with everything while waiting for the last load to dry.  

    In the other two (soon to be three) the system goes like this: an initial deep-clean (that gets re-done every several months) and then each turnover is just upkeep and laundry that gets sent out.  My 1-bed cabins can get turned over in an hour or so with my team of 1-2 housekeepers; less if the guests were neat.

    Like @Mike V. I have a turnover period between 11a-4p for my 3/2 and I don't allow late check-outs or early check-ins unless there's a day between guests.  For the 1/1s it's the same period but I'll allow early/late guests for up to 2 hours and just schedule my housekeepers accordingly.

    I definitely need to bite the bullet and replace my washer/dryer in the one house with high-capacity units!  I know it'll help a lot, just haven't spent the $ yet.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    @Julie McCoy Thanks for sharing.  We currently have three sets per bed however since we are washing them off site it backs up sometimes if we are hosting back to back.  Mainly because I personally hate doing laundry.  I was wonder was there a secret trick to speeding up drying sheets and towels.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    @Mike V.

    I think we will have to bite the bullet one day soon and just replace our units with high capacity ones.  The problem is washing and drying multiple sets of sheets bogs downs our machines.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    @Lisa Graesser

    I am glad that works out for you.  We haven't yet to enforce that as we fear the guest may not sort things or damage the linens.  It is definitely something I need to consider.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tim White:

    @Julie McCoy Thanks for sharing.  We currently have three sets per bed however since we are washing them off site it backs up sometimes if we are hosting back to back.  Mainly because I personally hate doing laundry.  I was wonder was there a secret trick to speeding up drying sheets and towels.

     Ha!  Can't blame you for that.  Sadly, I don't know of any tricks to speed up that process, other than having newer machines designed to do just that.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    We have a super capacity washer and dryer as this is the bottleneck on getting a house ready. We also have extra sets of sheets. We almost never take anything off site. I don't want to take a risk of things getting lost in transit so we paid for the nice and big washer and dryer.

    Remember Murphys law.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    8y

    The biggest time saver for us was switching from 100% cotton sheets to a blend. The top sheet is a step above the fitted because that’s what we mostly “feel”. We buy them from a wholesaler in St. Augustine who sells to hotels and taught us that trick. $5-$8/sheet.

    Gas dryers are more efficient and quicker, from my experience too. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Nancy Bachety What is the name of the wholesaler that you use for your sheets?

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    8y

    @Scott Jackelen I’ll tell you but you’ll be surprised to know they don’t have an online store or catalog. They service the state old-school with a couple of sales reps and lots of volume. Downey Janotorial Supplies. And walk-In customers like me.

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    8y

    @Tim White sounds like you may have to get a higher efficiency washer and dryer and do the Laundry onsite to save time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    @Melissa Gittens Thanks.  We will definitely look into doing that.

  • Gig Harbor, WA · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Such valuable info! Does anyone have a preference on detergent? Free and clear or scented? Bleach or no bleach? Thanks!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.