Internet-- Share service or one for each side of duplex?

9 Replies

We're getting close to listing our first duplex on Air BnB. Since it's a duplex with a shared center wall, I'm trying to decide if I buy independent WiFi for each side or just have one side share it with the other. Overall sq. ft. is 2,300. Essentially it's setup like a 5 bed/2 bath house that's cut down the middle with bathrooms upstairs. 

Thoughts?

If you can't wire both sides to their own router (could be the same account and connection with a firewall routing to each side via Ethernet), I would put in something like this so that you have maximum reliability:

https://smile.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-system-3-Pack...

I have these in my personal house and they work extremely well and are very stable.
I would just distribute them evenly throughout the floor plan. You could always add a 4th one if needed.

Q. Do you plan to have smart tv's in both the units?  

A. No.  Go with one shared service. End of question.

A. Yes.  One more question.

Q. What is the speed?

A. Slow to moderate. Go with 2 separate services.

A. Fast enough to stream 3 devices. Go with one shared service.

Depending on your provider, we're getting 100mbps service from Xfinity for $60/month, which is more than enough for two units.  I'd set it up in both as you can either charge a little more in rent on the long-term side of the duplex, or at least it's a nice perk for those tenants.  

We use a commercial grade setup of this http://a.co/d/83d5pmq at our 3-4 unit properties and it works flawlessly. 

If you do share between the two units, one thing that would be wise would be creating two different wireless networks to keep everything separate between the two.  Most solutions you'd end up with can do that.

Originally posted by @Scott Ellis :

Depending on your provider, we're getting 100mbps service from Xfinity for $60/month, which is more than enough for two units.  I'd set it up in both as you can either charge a little more in rent on the long-term side of the duplex, or at least it's a nice perk for those tenants.  

We use a commercial grade setup of this http://a.co/d/83d5pmq at our 3-4 unit properties and it works flawlessly. 

If you do share between the two units, one thing that would be wise would be creating two different wireless networks to keep everything separate between the two.  Most solutions you'd end up with can do that.

The Ubiquiti stuff is rock solid as well, we use it for tons of our clients in my IT business. It can be a little more of a setup process, depending on the model. I would highly recommend their stuff as well.

I would also second setting up two separate networks if possible. Folks are used to being on shared networks in coffee shops and such but separate networks would be much more secure.

I would just share it, your guest won't use that much data anyways unless your rental is so awesome that they won't leave to venture out in the city and prefer to stay in.. ;)

I am opening my 3rd ST duplex property this week. We have 1 internet service that is used by both units in each property, and it works just fine. The most recent property is actually 2 small houses right next door (about 4 feet apart), and it still works just fine with only 1 router. Love the little efficiency savings you get with multi-family! 

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will STR both sides so no LTR planned at the moment.

@Paul Sandhu Yes to smart TV/Roku and yes to high speed. 

@Sid Payne Thanks for the feedback! I've looked into mesh systems as an option. Good to know it's working for folks.

@Scott Ellis I will look into setting up two networks. Thanks!

Sounds to me like I get one high-speed service and use a combo of mesh and networking to get the coverage I need.