Ever get hate messages about your STRs?

Ever get hate messages about your STRs?

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

This following is the 2nd full paragraph of my daily Craigslist ad.  What is in italics afterwards is a response someone sent me.

"If a motel room is your standard of living, you are pathetic. I'd rather not rent a house to you. You are low class, you have low standards and are irresponsible with your money. I'd rather not rent a house to you and your problems. You and your problems can stay in a motel room (Brand, Copperhead, DBI Services, King's Construction, P&K Services, Plant Maintenance Services, CRM Construction, SCR, HydroChem and others). I suggest you stay at the Regal Inn, The Schwinn or Big Thief Cabins. They are expensive, small and have no amenities. Those places are for people with problems. Motels are in the ghetto on the east side of town. Cabins are in the once contaminated industrial park north of town. If this sounds like you, do not call me. Call the motel and stay there with your problems."

What a big cry baby *****!  We're all pathetic low lifes, but it looks like you're the pot callin' the kettle black!  You're the scum bag that has been goin around Coffeeville while it was going threw hard time all these years stealing desperate peoples homes away from them. Biding your time, now mr. money bags your going to rob as many hard working contractors you can while cuttin' them down with your smart *** ****. And just to prove you're just as big a pathetic low life piece of **** as the people you accuse, you put your adds in a free crappy site like CL.  You are a ****ing joke!

What do you think of that?  To me it is sort of a compliment.  23 STRs, 2 vacant and ready to rent out.

0Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

You should not be a business owner.  

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    Paul, You write this in your ad???:

    "If a motel room is your standard of living, you are pathetic. I'd rather not rent a house to you. You are low class, you have low standards and are irresponsible with your money. I'd rather not rent a house to you and your problems. You and your problems can stay in a motel room (Brand, Copperhead, DBI Services, King's Construction, P&K Services, Plant Maintenance Services, CRM Construction, SCR, HydroChem and others). I suggest you stay at the Regal Inn, The Schwinn or Big Thief Cabins. They are expensive, small and have no amenities. Those places are for people with problems. Motels are in the ghetto on the east side of town. Cabins are in the once contaminated industrial park north of town. If this sounds like you, do not call me. Call the motel and stay there with your problems."

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I was told to go F myself by a guest last week. In his review he called me an S head. Honestly it was one of the best reviews I've ever gotten. Any sane guest can clearly see this is a totally irrational person. Not to mention the terrible grammar. Unfortunately VRBO took it down due to defamation. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Boyd:

    Paul, You write this in your ad???:

    Yes I do.  And it is absolutely correct.  I've had people rent houses from me, and their co-workers stay in a motel.  I ask my renters why the other guys stay in a motel.  They don't know.  The motel people are usually gone within 2 weeks, while my renters are still here 2 months later.

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    Well, that's an interesting way of handling your business.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Dude, you're welcome to handle your business any way that you (legally) see fit. I also don't know, nor understand, your local market so I cannot say for sure that something like that is not warranted. All that being said...WTF!?!? I can't believe someone would put that in an add for their business. It just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I haven't gotten hate mail.  Yet.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Oh @Paul Sandhu I missed you!!!  Welcome back!

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    The people that stay in motels usually have a lot of problems.  Financial, legal, marital, mechanical, physical, emotional, vehicle problems and just overall bad luck.

    Everyone I rent to does contract work in a refinery.  They can stay in a motel, or they can stay with me.  The pool of workers also have to take random drug screens.  I do the drug screens.  The first thing I ask for is identification.  If they show me a drivers license, I ask them where they stay.  If it's a motel, I tell them about my houses and give them a card for the next time they are in town.  They are usually amicable about it.

    If they show me an I.D Card (which means they don't have a license to drive, see the list of problems above) I ask them where they are staying.  If they say "Motel" I tell them "You're not very smart, are you."  They say "Why is that?".  I say "Because you're staying in a motel, that's why.  You could be staying in one of my houses for less money, plus you can cook and do your laundry."  They don't say much after that.
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    You should not be a business owner.  

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    You should not be a business owner.  

    Especially if the business is a motel.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    Hmm I probably should try this approach. Offending people before even meeting them. /sarcasm

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    @Paul Sandhu - Correct me if i'm wrong but the Bold lettering is you advertising on Craigslist and the Italics is a response to your advertisement.

    WTF....Why would you advertise like that??  You really have a nice way of letting those companies and its workers know that they should rent from you and not stay in the motel.  

    You drug test tenants?? You sure you don't operate a rehab.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Anthony Rosa  Right, the bold is my ad, the italics is a response.

    People that stay in motels have problems.  I've seen it for years.  You name the problem, I've heard it.  I'm trying to steer problem tenants away from me and attract the good ones.  Good ones know who they are, so do the bad ones.  I described the bad ones in my ad.  They live paycheck to paycheck if they are lucky.  When rent is due, they have some excuse to pay me a few days later.  They always some reason or excuse to pay late, or to leave in the middle of the night while they owed me back rent.  These are the people I'm describing that stay in motels.  I don't want them.  You wouldn't want them either.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    7y

    Harsh...but if it works for ya.... do your thing.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tanner Marsey:

    Harsh...but if it works for ya.... do your thing.

    You're right.  To the general public it sounds harsh.  To the people I do or do not rent to, it is or it is not their life on a daily basis.  I rent to the ones where it is not their life on a daily basis...living out of a motel room for 6+ months out of a year.  The other part of the year, they probably stay with in-laws, cousins, or other family members.  

    Hey!  I think I discovered the source or reason for my dislike of people that stay in motels.  They are homeless, but not jobless.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Every succesful investor on this forum will tell you that upper and middle class tenants tend to be better than the lower class, and yet somehow none of them have to resort to namecalling to secure them.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    I'm thinking that if you rework the wording in your ad you might get an even higher level of tenant.  You may be screening out the worst but I think it is very likely that you are screening out the best too.  There's no way I would reply to that ad, no offense but it makes you sound like a maniac.  

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Clemmer:

    Every succesful investor on this forum will tell you that upper and middle class tenants tend to be better than the lower class, and yet somehow none of them have to resort to namecalling to secure them.

    Makes sense.  In this line of STRs, the upper class people don't travel for work.  Middle class tenants pay $100/night for a motel for shorter jobs, for longer jobs they tow their $60k camper with their $50k truck.  What is left in the lower middle class, upper lower class, and the middle lower class people.  I try to separate the lower middle and upper lower from the middle lower class people.  The middle lower class people seem to have more problems than the other 2 classes.  Hiring in this industry does not discriminate against class, I just have to sort them out ahead of time.  Most of the people that think my sorting is not a good idea have not had the kind of renters I do.  Think about it, "If a motel room is your standard of living?"  The standard of living for the middle lower class people in this industry is a motel or with family. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    7y

    You’re dealing with a type of tenant the majority of us will never cross paths with. You have to deal with them how you see fit. 

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Paul Sandhu I have missed your posts so much lol.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I have never had any hate mail. But I enjoy Paul's.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brant Richardson:

    I'm thinking that if you rework the wording in your ad you might get an even higher level of tenant.  You may be screening out the worst but I think it is very likely that you are screening out the best too.  There's no way I would reply to that ad, no offense but it makes you sound like a maniac.  

    Want to know who my average renter is?  He's a welder, boilermaker, electrician, pipefitter or crane operator at a refinery.  He makes about $2000 or more per week.  He owns his own house, but it's 5-10 hours away.  He works here for 2 weeks to 2 months then goes home. He drives a jacked up 4 wheel drive truck, chews tobacco, is big and burly, smells like diesel fuel, and has neck tats.  That's my average renter.  If you saw him down an aisle of Wal Mart, you'd skip that aisle until he was gone.  I'd go up to him, punch him in the arm, and ask him how things are.  If he saw me sitting at a restaurant, he'd buy me beers and send them over with the cutest looking waitress.  My average renter can relate to my ad.  Most people can't.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    Got it.  If your happy with your occupancy keep doing what you are doing.  Not surprised at the hate mail with those tenants.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I am guessing you are not getting people with that ad, you are getting them by word of mouth but maybe the first paragraph is all they read and that does it. I know exactly the tenant you are targeting and I wish my son could find a place like yours (he's a welder).   Calling people pathetic I think is what is over the top and I guess you call out companies you don't rent to as well ?? That is helpful but curious why not. 

    I've gotten hate messages but it is usually cost or no animals they complain about.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Colleen F. Funny you should mention that.  Last Monday I got a call from a guy looking for a place for his son.  His son is 20, and a welder.  Asked him how he found me.  He said Craigslist.  I asked if he read the full ad, he did and said HE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.  Said his son doesn't drink or party, and is driving 220 miles round trip every day.  He saw that I only had 3 vacancies, a house with 8 beds, a house with 7 beds, and a house with 4 beds.  I told him if his son could find 2 more people, they could take the house with 4 beds.  His son found 2 more people and they moved in the next night.  A few days later they found a fourth person.  So now I have 21 places rented and 2 places vacant.  The 8 bed house and the 7 bed house, and that ad has been up every day for 6 months.  I don't think it's hurting me.

    Oh, and I met some general managers of several companies doing work at the refinery.  I asked them why they don't put their people up in one of my houses to save money.  They said "You don't want our kinds of people in your houses."  A week later, I met one of those people.  I wouldn't want him in one of my places.  He could best be described as an antisocial psychotic mutt.  6 months later the general manager took a tour of some of my places.  He said he wanted every available one when the refinery work picks up.  Said he'd just put the project managers, super intendents, foremen and other respectable people in my houses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.