Ever get hate messages about your STRs?

40 Replies

This following is the 2nd full paragraph of my daily Craigslist ad.  What is in italics afterwards is a response someone sent me.

"If a motel room is your standard of living, you are pathetic. I'd rather not rent a house to you. You are low class, you have low standards and are irresponsible with your money. I'd rather not rent a house to you and your problems. You and your problems can stay in a motel room (Brand, Copperhead, DBI Services, King's Construction, P&K Services, Plant Maintenance Services, CRM Construction, SCR, HydroChem and others). I suggest you stay at the Regal Inn, The Schwinn or Big Thief Cabins. They are expensive, small and have no amenities. Those places are for people with problems. Motels are in the ghetto on the east side of town. Cabins are in the once contaminated industrial park north of town. If this sounds like you, do not call me. Call the motel and stay there with your problems."

What a big cry baby *****!  We're all pathetic low lifes, but it looks like you're the pot callin' the kettle black!  You're the scum bag that has been goin around Coffeeville while it was going threw hard time all these years stealing desperate peoples homes away from them. Biding your time, now mr. money bags your going to rob as many hard working contractors you can while cuttin' them down with your smart *** ****. And just to prove you're just as big a pathetic low life piece of **** as the people you accuse, you put your adds in a free crappy site like CL.  You are a ****ing joke!

What do you think of that?  To me it is sort of a compliment.  23 STRs, 2 vacant and ready to rent out.

Paul, You write this in your ad???:

"If a motel room is your standard of living, you are pathetic. I'd rather not rent a house to you. You are low class, you have low standards and are irresponsible with your money. I'd rather not rent a house to you and your problems. You and your problems can stay in a motel room (Brand, Copperhead, DBI Services, King's Construction, P&K Services, Plant Maintenance Services, CRM Construction, SCR, HydroChem and others). I suggest you stay at the Regal Inn, The Schwinn or Big Thief Cabins. They are expensive, small and have no amenities. Those places are for people with problems. Motels are in the ghetto on the east side of town. Cabins are in the once contaminated industrial park north of town. If this sounds like you, do not call me. Call the motel and stay there with your problems."

I was told to go F myself by a guest last week. In his review he called me an S head. Honestly it was one of the best reviews I've ever gotten. Any sane guest can clearly see this is a totally irrational person. Not to mention the terrible grammar. Unfortunately VRBO took it down due to defamation. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor
Originally posted by @Kevin Boyd:

Paul, You write this in your ad???:

Yes I do.  And it is absolutely correct.  I've had people rent houses from me, and their co-workers stay in a motel.  I ask my renters why the other guys stay in a motel.  They don't know.  The motel people are usually gone within 2 weeks, while my renters are still here 2 months later.

Dude, you're welcome to handle your business any way that you (legally) see fit. I also don't know, nor understand, your local market so I cannot say for sure that something like that is not warranted. All that being said...WTF!?!? I can't believe someone would put that in an add for their business. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The people that stay in motels usually have a lot of problems.  Financial, legal, marital, mechanical, physical, emotional, vehicle problems and just overall bad luck.

Everyone I rent to does contract work in a refinery.  They can stay in a motel, or they can stay with me.  The pool of workers also have to take random drug screens.  I do the drug screens.  The first thing I ask for is identification.  If they show me a drivers license, I ask them where they stay.  If it's a motel, I tell them about my houses and give them a card for the next time they are in town.  They are usually amicable about it.

If they show me an I.D Card (which means they don't have a license to drive, see the list of problems above) I ask them where they are staying.  If they say "Motel" I tell them "You're not very smart, are you."  They say "Why is that?".  I say "Because you're staying in a motel, that's why.  You could be staying in one of my houses for less money, plus you can cook and do your laundry."  They don't say much after that.
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

You should not be a business owner.  

Especially if the business is a motel.

@Paul Sandhu - Correct me if i'm wrong but the Bold lettering is you advertising on Craigslist and the Italics is a response to your advertisement.

WTF....Why would you advertise like that??  You really have a nice way of letting those companies and its workers know that they should rent from you and not stay in the motel.  

You drug test tenants?? You sure you don't operate a rehab.

@Anthony Rosa  Right, the bold is my ad, the italics is a response.

People that stay in motels have problems.  I've seen it for years.  You name the problem, I've heard it.  I'm trying to steer problem tenants away from me and attract the good ones.  Good ones know who they are, so do the bad ones.  I described the bad ones in my ad.  They live paycheck to paycheck if they are lucky.  When rent is due, they have some excuse to pay me a few days later.  They always some reason or excuse to pay late, or to leave in the middle of the night while they owed me back rent.  These are the people I'm describing that stay in motels.  I don't want them.  You wouldn't want them either.

Originally posted by @Tanner Marsey:

Harsh...but if it works for ya.... do your thing.

You're right.  To the general public it sounds harsh.  To the people I do or do not rent to, it is or it is not their life on a daily basis.  I rent to the ones where it is not their life on a daily basis...living out of a motel room for 6+ months out of a year.  The other part of the year, they probably stay with in-laws, cousins, or other family members.  

Hey!  I think I discovered the source or reason for my dislike of people that stay in motels.  They are homeless, but not jobless.

Every succesful investor on this forum will tell you that upper and middle class tenants tend to be better than the lower class, and yet somehow none of them have to resort to namecalling to secure them.

I'm thinking that if you rework the wording in your ad you might get an even higher level of tenant.  You may be screening out the worst but I think it is very likely that you are screening out the best too.  There's no way I would reply to that ad, no offense but it makes you sound like a maniac.  

Originally posted by @Justin Clemmer:

Every succesful investor on this forum will tell you that upper and middle class tenants tend to be better than the lower class, and yet somehow none of them have to resort to namecalling to secure them.

Makes sense.  In this line of STRs, the upper class people don't travel for work.  Middle class tenants pay $100/night for a motel for shorter jobs, for longer jobs they tow their $60k camper with their $50k truck.  What is left in the lower middle class, upper lower class, and the middle lower class people.  I try to separate the lower middle and upper lower from the middle lower class people.  The middle lower class people seem to have more problems than the other 2 classes.  Hiring in this industry does not discriminate against class, I just have to sort them out ahead of time.  Most of the people that think my sorting is not a good idea have not had the kind of renters I do.  Think about it, "If a motel room is your standard of living?"  The standard of living for the middle lower class people in this industry is a motel or with family. 

You’re dealing with a type of tenant the majority of us will never cross paths with. You have to deal with them how you see fit. 

Originally posted by @Brant Richardson:

I'm thinking that if you rework the wording in your ad you might get an even higher level of tenant.  You may be screening out the worst but I think it is very likely that you are screening out the best too.  There's no way I would reply to that ad, no offense but it makes you sound like a maniac.  

Want to know who my average renter is?  He's a welder, boilermaker, electrician, pipefitter or crane operator at a refinery.  He makes about $2000 or more per week.  He owns his own house, but it's 5-10 hours away.  He works here for 2 weeks to 2 months then goes home. He drives a jacked up 4 wheel drive truck, chews tobacco, is big and burly, smells like diesel fuel, and has neck tats.  That's my average renter.  If you saw him down an aisle of Wal Mart, you'd skip that aisle until he was gone.  I'd go up to him, punch him in the arm, and ask him how things are.  If he saw me sitting at a restaurant, he'd buy me beers and send them over with the cutest looking waitress.  My average renter can relate to my ad.  Most people can't.