Mattress toppers-comfy ones?

10 Replies

My management company set the house up with West Elm (I think) beds. They are a single, hard foam bed on a platform. Look very cool but not super comfy.

I'm very particular about my sleeping and do NOT like memory foam as a topper or bed. I've known several friends who don't either. One of the most comfortable beds I ever slept in was old fashioned egg crate foam with a cotton topper. I can't seem to find regular egg crate foam though.

What do you all use and what do hotels use that makes their beds so comfy? Something on top because many hotels do have a firm foam mattress underneath.

I’ve been to plenty of fancy hotels I didn’t think the bed was any good. I much prefer foam. We have opposite tastes and many of your guests will as well. If it’s clean and not too old don’t spend any more money than you need to. 

@Lucas Carl. You prefer 'memory foam' personally or plain ole foam. Right now, the beds are firm foam (which for most people will be a tad hard and not have that comfy feeling when you get in them). I want to put a softer topper of some kind. Yes, w/out replacing the mattress or spending too much. 

What do you put on top of your mattresses? Waterproof cover, other kind of topper...

@Lauren Kormylo . Thanks for finding this!

@Julie Groth , I use a 1.5 inch gel foam topper from Kohl’s. Nothing fancy. I go over that with a Serta waterproof mattress cover from Costco.

You have a West Elm mattress? There are many mattresses available. You might consider changing them out.

Like @Lucas Carl said, it is a very subjective thing.

I ordered an egg crate foam topper from FoamOrder.com. I'm hoping that the egg crate, with a thick mattress cover or even a comforter underneath a mattress cover will do the trick. When I stay in a vacation rental, if everything else in a house was great and they gave good service, I would not necessarily take the time to write a 5 star review. IF the beds were super comfy (plus the other stuff), then I'd go out of my way to write a glowing review. Maybe it is just me, but some people love great beds.

Thanks @Lauren Kormylo. 

Originally posted by @Julie Groth :

My management company set the house up with West Elm (I think) beds. They are a single, hard foam bed on a platform. Look very cool but not super comfy.

I'm very particular about my sleeping and do NOT like memory foam as a topper or bed. I've known several friends who don't either. One of the most comfortable beds I ever slept in was old fashioned egg crate foam with a cotton topper. I can't seem to find regular egg crate foam though.

What do you all use and what do hotels use that makes their beds so comfy? Something on top because many hotels do have a firm foam mattress underneath.

Get a soft "19-20" ILD latex topper. My mother had two latex mattresses bought at sears in the 1960's and those mattress were still like new in 2010. I bought one of the layered latex mattresses in 2006 (with varying layers of firmness) and it is still like new-- no indents, lumps, sags. It still sleeps just as well as the day I bought it. It's impressive. A traditional innerspring would never have held up so well for 13 years.

To be really lux you could get a down topper to go on top

@Jill F. Thanks! Traditional innersprings don't hold up well at all. I have to replace my own very often. Thanks for the input on the ILD latex...had not heard of that before.

Originally posted by @Julie Groth :

@Jill F.Thanks! Traditional innersprings don't hold up well at all. I have to replace my own very often. Thanks for the input on the ILD latex...had not heard of that before.

Hi Julie the ILD (impression load deflection) is an indicator of the firmness or softness of  a mattress. It's actually the amount of weight it takes to indent a 4" piece of foam 25% (with a 12" disc weight). So a lower number means a softer topper. A 19-20 ILD means a nice soft topper. For a very firm base layer you would expect a number 34-36 ILD (impression load deflection). I used foamorder.com (the clearance page). I liked buying "mattress toppers" because they do not have all the fire retardant chemicals that a "mattress" is required to have. I bought a 4" base layer in very firm, a medium firm 3" layer, a medium soft 3" layer, and then an extra soft 1" topper. It's worked out very well. There are two different types of latex, dunlop and talalay that have different manufacturing processes. My Mom's mattresses were Dunlop and mine are Talalay; both seem to hold up well-- but some people swear by one or the other.

I am a nerd and I spent a fair amount of time researching mattresses because I do care about a comfortable bed and my last innerspring mattress which was quite expensive was getting a sag after seven years 

Whatever you decided to get, do NOT forget to buy zippered mattress encasements to help prevent bedbug infestations. That wasn't your question but I am throwing it in in case you hadn't thought of it ;)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here