• Rental Property Investor
  • kelowna, bc
Votes |
Glamping short term rental property

Chris Muller
  • Rental Property Investor
  • kelowna, bc
Posted Oct 25 2020, 20:12

I am fairly new to the short term rental side of real estate, I’ve mainly been a long term buy and hold investor.

In the past couple years we have done a few small scale short term rentals out of our principle residence (with great success).

Looking into trends in the industry (and conversations with friends who run a successful str business) the idea of short term rental glamming came up.

It looks like there are all forms/styles from pods to yurts, cabins to tree houses or retro trailers...something for every type of person it seems.

Has anyone on here ventured down this path?

I have an acreage in a quite a desirable tourism area - minutes to a large lake, amenities and tourist attractions all around and the property has amazing lake views.

The thought here was to setup a glampground essentially - as the zoning allows for 10 fully serviced sites and provide renovated units in a private, comfortable setting.

For example, a modern updated travel trailer, hot tub, fire pit, great cooking amenities in individual private areas . The property also link to a mountain trail network for hiking, riding, motor sports etc.

I am trying to gather information to see how viable this type of STR is/can be and and info from more experienced folks in this field.

It seems to me that with Covid and lack of travel/shift in what people are looking for it seems (a place where all the amenities are there and not having to go out for entertainment for example) looks to be popular - a destination location.

Any info/opinion etc would be great from other members of the community here.

Loading replies...