Do we tell the neighbors.. turning house into str

13 Replies

Good day! We've lived in our house for 6 yrs. The lots in our resi neighborhood are acre+. Converting primary residence into STR. No hoa restrictions on STR in our hood. Or let them discover on their own. I also have employee who lives in neighborhood so that's a factor to consider. Just trying to figure out how much information the neighbors need for me (if any) to have the smoothest transition possible to str. I appreciate your knowledge and insights. Thank you!

I wouldn't say anything.  If you are friends with them, they will know you are moving and may ask when you are putting the house up for sale and you can tell them then.  Your immediate neighbours will see you moving and wonder about the increased traffic, but they can ask.

I would tell them. If you pitch it right you even get an extra set of eyes watching your property for you. You want to get ahead of this or it will be an issue.

Also you checked the HOA restrictions but did you check zoning with the county/city?

Originally posted by @Chad Martin :

Good day! We've lived in our house for 6 yrs. The lots in our resi neighborhood are acre+. Converting primary residence into STR. No hoa restrictions on STR in our hood. Or let them discover on their own. I also have employee who lives in neighborhood so that's a factor to consider. Just trying to figure out how much information the neighbors need for me (if any) to have the smoothest transition possible to str. I appreciate your knowledge and insights. Thank you!

I would first ask "where in AVL are you?" Certain areas are far more likely to have angry neighbors lobbying the city or county for changes than other areas, and that would color my decision. In West Buncombe, for example, I doubt any of your neighbors would care if you told them, whereas it would probably raise a big stink in certain areas of Montford or Biltmore Forest.

Legally, you don't have to tell your neighbors anything. But in the right neighborhood I might be inclined to tell them if for no other reason than to have some free eyes watching the place. 

I guess the question is:  Are you telling or asking?

If you are feigning to ask, but will convert to STR regardless of their response...that is called manipulation. Trying to manage their emotions for them. Some people are very good at this, but the potential for blowback is very high if they express concern about your plan and then you just go do it anyway.

Do you tell your neighbors when you get a puppy?  How about when you have a few friends over to sit around the fire pit and drink beer until midnight?  Repaint the house?  I wouldn't.

It feels like there is an underlying assumption that you are doing something wrong, feel guilty about it, and want to confess to your neighbor that life is about to change for them. The reality is that you have property rights, you own that house, and you can legally turn it into a STR in compliance with all neighborhood/city codes.

I prefer to inform them. You may not have to, but it can be beneficial to have a ally o nearby in case a need arises. We have one neighbor who gave heads up about a big party starting to form before noiseaware or other signals notified us. For only the occasional bottle of wine investing in the relationship as been a great ROI.

@Alex S. Nice read, yes, I have previous str baggage. We own lake home and it’s was the only str on the peninsula and the neighborhood wasn’t happy even though it was our right and upfront. We just don’t have a good relationship with the neighbors there and one of them put a big fence in between us as a result. But so was upfront. Stewing on the next one, every situation different. Appreciated the input.

@Chad Martin I think a heads up would go a long way, especially if you are friends with neighbors having lived there for 6 years. More of hey, just wanted you to know that this is going to happen, keep me posted if anyone is crazy of out line, etc... But like you said every situation is unique. Sounds like with your experience, and by even thinking about what you should do, you will do the right thing.