Vetting a cleaning company

6 Replies

Hey BP guys!! Quick question for the group. We are new into the STR realm, and am starting to get a list on cleaning services available in our market. We will be managing the STR remotely. I was wondering what are some "must-ask" question you have when you are talking to the potential companies?

Rates? Availability? Extent of work? Do they do other STR in the area?

Any and all advice or insight would be great and much appreciated!!

Updated about 1 month ago

I am also planning to making a spreadsheet for all the cleaning companies in the area. That way we will have a "Master List" in case we need to get someone in at the last minute.

I have one STR in that area. I would suggest getting a recommendation for a cleaning person instead of a larger company. Unless you are going to build out systems, checklists, etc, etc, etc....you will be constantly training and re training their staff. Turnover can be high. I have been doing STR for about 20 years, just one property. Been thru 3 cleaning people. 2 were great and one not so much. Once you find someone, treat them well, as they can be life savers for other little issues that can arise and save you from driving 3 hours to remedy. Wish I could provide a recommendation, but my person is not taking on any new clients, as STR have exploded in the area last few years. Happy to answer any questions.

Originally posted by @John McRae :

I have one STR in that area. I would suggest getting a recommendation for a cleaning person instead of a larger company. Unless you are going to build out systems, checklists, etc, etc, etc....you will be constantly training and re training their staff. Turnover can be high. I have been doing STR for about 20 years, just one property. Been thru 3 cleaning people. 2 were great and one not so much. Once you find someone, treat them well, as they can be life savers for other little issues that can arise and save you from driving 3 hours to remedy. Wish I could provide a recommendation, but my person is not taking on any new clients, as STR have exploded in the area last few years. Happy to answer any questions.

Awesome info! Ive talked to a few people, as well as listening to the podcasts, and they all say the same thing.  Treat the cleaning staff like gold, because without them, you are out of business. (unless you want to clean it yourself!). Any chance your cleaner may recommend someone in the area? I was planning to starting to cold-call companies and see what kind of vibe I get from them.  Also, would you have any rec's for a handyman in the area?

You can also try reaching out to other investors/agents in the area to see who they recommend. I know for myself, I always try to recommend specific companies to my clients because like you said, without them your business doesn't perform.
Best of luck!

Hey @chad!  Here's a few questions I would ask them besides the obvious questions like "how much do you charge?"

- What is your preferred method of payment?  (venmo, paypal, other?)

- Can you take my ical link to communicate bookings? Some other automated method?

- Do you have a separate person inspecting each clean?

- Do you use a checklist for the cleans?  Can I see that?

- Do you provide amenities like soaps, shampoos, toilet paper etc.?

- Are you willing to make occasional house calls?

- How do you keep your cleaners accountable for quality?  (This one is crucial, a company that has a solid check and balance process is much more likely to maintain quality.)