Alaska Investors?

57 Replies

Let's hear from ya!. There aren't a lot of us up here but I'm lookin for whoever there is.

Greetings,

I am up here in Fairbanks trying to get started. I am stationed here at Wainwright and am really digging the area and all Alaska has to offer. Where are you at and what type of investing are you looking at? Give me a holler and maybe we can start a legit BP chapter in the Great White North!

John

@John Strong Hi there! Welcome to BP! Let me know if you get something going in Fairbanks. We have a few REI groups here in Anchorage. Take care!

Hi Keenan,

We're here (my wife and I). And there seems to be more of us BPer's all the time. I believe there's even a meeting coming up. Right @Roy Schauer ?

Hi @Keenan Fitzpatrick , my husband and I are getting started down here in Kenai. We are buying our first four plex this summer and plan on buying another in 3 yrs.
Are there any REI meetings coming up in Alaska?

Check on meetup for REI meetings. I'm not sure about Jenai but there is a decent amount of meetings in Anchorage

Another Alaskan saying hello. :) Quite a distance from Anchorage. Even quite a distance from Ketchikan. I'm happy to see some other Alaskans here on BP. I'm landlording in Hyder. (Southeast Alaska.)

Welcome to Alaska investing! There are always stories here to share. :) @Roy Schauer @Carly Staehlin @Keenan Fitzpatrick @Brittany Hart

Make sure you learn about the landlord laws here. They are statutory laws - meaning up to the judge at the time of ruling, even it you are technically right which the written section of the laws. I had to try a person three times and the judge still didn't kick them out while still behind in rent and all repairs finished and unfounded. :)

Wow @Kassandra T. Thanks for the tip. Of course I've read and applied the info from the Landlord/Tenant guide for AK, but it wasn't clear to me that the judge could have so much discretion.

Do you know why you had such trouble convincing the judge to evict in that situation? Winter/Harsh Environment/Disabled person/Vet??

Hey everyone!!! just joined BP. wont be back in AK until this summer but I am really digging into real estate investing.

Thinking about going to the licensing class just to gain more knowledge. thoughts on this class? any suggestions?

I am very interested in 4 plex's. For a first time investment a 4 plex seems to be the most logical way to go.

opinions? please let me know what you think

thanks

@Christopher Templin , we live in Kenai and are in the process of buying our first 4 plex. Everyone is talking about the "boom" that is suppose to happen in my neck of the woods in the next 5 yrs, so we thought it was as good a time as any to start investing.

@Carly Staehlin

Lady had 5 kids in a two bedroom with only a part time job and on state money to pay rent. If eviction happened, she would be homeless and never can get state funds again. But she couldn't afford her partial rent and destroyed the place - $12k in damages alone.

Thank you all for making me feel so welcomed on this site.

I am very excited to start this journey.

I will be back in anchorage this July, hopefully starting at UAA as well.

Hope to meet you all at some of the group meetings up there, making friends and associates as well.

My dream is a 30+ unit complex. But that is at least 20-25 years down the road.

Hope to hear more from you all later when I have questions to ask.

@Christopher Templin one step at a time....start small. You can be overwhelmed quickly.

The class is $450. I'm not saying it isn't worth it cuz you will learn but it's not necessary. You will meet a lot of people that will help you and work with you.

Hi Alaskans,

My wife and I are just starting out in RE investing.  I'd like for it to be an income source in retirement.  We're in Eagle River.  Looking forward to meeting some folks at the Meet Up on Thursday.  I see some familiar names in this string.

Tom Austin

What is the "Meet Up" ? And where?

My wife and I invest in the Kenai and Soldotna area. We have been actively investing since 2006. We have several properties and would love to discuss RE with like minded folks. If anyone is interested in a Kenai Peninsula meetup, please let me know. I would to try and set something up before summer because, as you Kenai folks know, there is no way it will happen during summer :)

Hey @Tyson Cox , are you still looking for a meet up in the Kenai area? I'm in Anchorage but frequent Kenai quite a bit.

Yes, but have not been very successful yet. I plan to get people excited over the summer to have a meet up this fall. I don't know how good of a turnout we would have if not done by the end of the month. With summer, no one seems to be available at the same time. Any thoughts?

Howdy all! Its looking like I'll be a transplant from Tx to AK. Still waiting to know for sure and then it would still be a few months. The wife and I are looking to house hack while up there and purchase a duplex/tri/quad or what ever works within our budget. Do you experience investors have any advice on Anchorage vs Eagle River or even as far out as Palmer or Wasilla? From what I'm learning the law is more renter friendly than here in TX. Any advice or introductions are always appreciated. From the frying pan to the freezer and we can't wait! Thanks yall Drew
Hi Drew, when you know more of your timeline, let me know. I currently working about 12 properties from Anchorage to Wasilla. Ranging from SFR to 4-plex. I'm also in negotiation on my first commercial property. 

A lot depends on how much you want to commute. The distance doesn't seem that bad from Anchorage to Wasilla unless your fighting everyone else trying to go to work or home at the end of the day and one, or more, of the lanes shuts down and it ends up taking an hour and a half to get anywhere. What is your current price point? That can seriously change your available options since Alaska is so expensive to live.

We have a local investor group called REX, Real Estate eXchange. If your interested in getting a feel and to see the updates that are being sent to members, feel free to go to http://www.meetup.com/R_E_X_/  

i look forward ward to hearing from you and have a great summer!

Respectfully,
Roy Schauer

Originally posted by Drew NA:
Howdy all!

Its looking like I'll be a transplant from Tx to AK. Still waiting to know for sure and then it would still be a few months. The wife and I are looking to house hack while up there and purchase a duplex/tri/quad or what ever works within our budget.

Do you experience investors have any advice on Anchorage vs Eagle River or even as far out as Palmer or Wasilla?

From what I'm learning the law is more renter friendly than here in TX. Any advice or introductions are always appreciated. From the frying pan to the freezer and we can't wait!

Thanks yall

Drew

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here