Commercial MF Cap Rates for Marin County

Commercial MF Cap Rates for Marin County

Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes

Hello everyone,

I'm evaluating a vacant lot in Marin county to build a 20 - 30 units multifamily property on it. 

I was wondering if anybody knew what the selling cap rates were for a new construction commercial multifamily property in the 20 unit - 30 unit range?

0Reply
34 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Caledonia, IL · Member since 2015 · 290 posts · 213 votes
    8y

    All I can do is go by our market which is Chicago . A properties still hovering around low 7's. I have heard of high 6's in some situations. I would check with a local CCIM to your market.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Chris Youssi ! Good idea! I'll definitely look for a CCIM to ask.

  • Developer · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    While I’m not a broker, I’d say that Marin will command a 3.25-3.75 cap. Far more important would be for you to research local politics. NIMBYs come out of the woodworks to fight Multifamily in Marin. If you are looking at doing the entitlement process, expect that to last a number of years, cost a lot of money, and have a low probability of success.
  • Realtor · San Rafael · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Which city in Marin? Cities in Marin county are very different from one another. Mill valley will be different then Novato. Can you provide more details? Feel free to reach me in person Noa
  • Realtor · San Rafael · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    It can be anywhere from 2.5- 4.5 Again, depends on which city in Marin.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Hey @Noa Bloch the property is located in San Rafael inside a Multifamily district on Lincoln ave.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Francisco · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Did you end up buying the lot? 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    @Grant Villeneuve

    I didn’t end up buying it. I was helping a buyer evaluate it. Construction would cost too much and the returns were too low. It would take years to get through entitlement in this area. A variance would’ve been needed and the property would have to go through CEQA.

    A ~30 unit development nearby in the downtown area took 7 years. I’m not sure if they made money but the developer did sell to a local buyer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.