• Denver, CO
Votes |
Thought for Charitable Cause - Where to Start

Andrew B.
  • Contractor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Aug 6 2020, 13:54

Hey BP,

I'm trying to flush out an idea and looking for some help. Unfortunately there is some tragedy tied to it but trying to find a way to have an outsized impact.

As many of you may have seen, on Aug 5, 2020, there was a tragic house fire in the Green Valley Ranch area of Denver near the airport. 5 people died in the fire including 2 children. (Link to story for those unfamiliar.) 

I knew and worked with Djiby at a large construction company. I didn't know him well, but even in my worst days, I looked forward to seeing him every morning. He worked hard, had a great attitude, and was one of the kindest people I've had the opportunity to work with. This has had a tremendous impact on me and I am looking for a way to help.

My thought is that someone is going to end up buying that lot and building a new home and likely profiting from it. That doesn't feel right to me considering the loss of life, and I know it is just because this one is close to me. I started thinking, how can I get that money back into the hands of the family? After looking at property records, Djiby didn't own the house. I'm not entirely sure who the individuals that do own it are yet. 

I was thinking to somehow acquire the property for next to nothing from the current owners who will likely get an insurance payout, use my connections with my old company and suppliers along with BP and other resources to demo (if not complete already) and rebuild with a combination of donated materials, money, time, and whatever paid services may be required. Then sell it at market value and let the family keep the proceeds. It doesn't replace the loss, but at least continues to provide for the family, like Djiby did.

Anyway, woke up this morning with the thought. Any help on thoughts, resources, or others interested in maybe making this happen would be helpful. Not sure I have the capacity to pull all the pieces together right now.

Thanks for the input.

Andrew

Loading replies...