Newbie from Kansas City, Missouri area

Newbie from Kansas City, Missouri area

Rental Property Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 2 votes

My name is Jake Blickenstaff and I live in Blue Springs, Missouri (East of Kansas City, Missouri). I do not have any significant background in real estate but am getting into it. I currently am a Power Plant Operator and am saving my extra income to start investing in assets so that my money can make money, instead of 'working' for my money. (Everyone's goal!) I look forward to learning and networking from everyone here. Thanks!

0Reply
18 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Jake Blickenstaff ! I hope you find BP to be as incredible as I have. If you're just starting out we highly suggest reading the Bigger Pocket's Ultimate Guide to Real Estate Investing. Just click on the words and you'll be taken there. Its a great way for you to get yourself up to speed in the world of REI. Be sure to look the Network tab to see what members are in your area. Just click here. Feel free to ask any questions. You should find that BP will be there to support you in many ways. Its a priceless resource in my opinion. Glad to have you as a member!

  • Real Estate Broker · Leawood, KS · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    Welcome Jake! You have everything at your fingertips on this site. Also be sure to set up your keywords....KeyWords

    Best of luck!

    Ray

  • Rental Property Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the replies. @Darren Sager I started reading the guide, there's a LOT of great information in there!

    @Ray Orellano Thanks for the tip about the KeyWords. I set up some for my local area and plan on keeping a lookout.

    Thanks again for the assistance.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jake Blickenstaff

    Welcome.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 50 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Real Estate Investor · Belton, MO · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Welcome Jake! You getting any snow out that way? :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Eddie Martinez

    yes I did! It was just starting by the time I got off work this morning at 6am. From the sound of it, this might be a very brutal winter!!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Jake Blickenstaff welcome to BP!

  • Rental Property Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    12y
  • Real Estate Consultant · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    Welcome to the BP @Jake Blickenstaff

    There's a lot to learn and sometimes the best learning is by doing. Others have given you some great recommendations that I often share also.

    I work with investors, primarily in East Jackson County. You are in a good market area.

    We are having a first meetup for Bigger Pockets Kansas City next month. Here is a link to learn more. It will be very informal, just an opportunity to network and learn.

    All the best with your goals!

    Bigger Pockets Kansas City Meetup

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome @Jake Blickenstaff

    Our group has been based in Kansas City for the past year and have bought and flipped quiet a few houses.

    Please feel free to connect as I am more than happy to assist in anyway.

    Thanks for your time.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @William Robison:
    Welcome to the BP @Jake Blickenstaff
    There's a lot to learn and sometimes the best learning is by doing. Others have given you some great recommendations that I often share also.

    I work with investors, primarily in East Jackson County. You are in a good market area.

    We are having a first meetup for Bigger Pockets Kansas City next month. Here is a link to learn more. It will be very informal, just an opportunity to network and learn.

    All the best with your goals!

    Bigger Pockets Kansas City Meetup

    Great idea for this meet up.

    Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Engelo Rumora & @William Robison Thank you for the warm welcomes and the invite for the local BP Meetup! If I'm still in KC next month I will definitely attempt to be there, barring the day job doesn't get in the way...waiting to see if I get a job transfer to the Atlanta area.

    I will let y'all know either way!

    Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.