Greenhorn from Pittsburgh, PA

10 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets Community! My name is Chris Jack and I am working towards starting out in Real Estate investment. I am a person that has no real background in real estate at this point. I would like to start out my real estate career with some multifamily units and actually just listened to Episode 61 which was quite interesting.

I actually have been talking about getting into real estate for years but I have been too reluctant to fail. I recently had shoulder surgery and had a lot of time to research real estate investment. In the readings, there seems to have been a theme of really going out there and getting your hands dirty in sound investment and really start learning. It is funny that I had so much fear because there was a quote that I really used to like that went something like "fail early to succeed often". So in my reading I was lead to bigger pockets from the Hipster Investor page.

I grew up in the greater Pittsburgh area. I am currently a Mechanical Engineer and have an MBA. I would love to hear from anyone and connect with other investors especially if they are in my region.

Hi Christopher,

If you had shoulder surgery you might look at more passive investments that do not require as much daily involvement. Some of my extended family members have had that surgery and it's very rare to not have complications and the shoulder back to what it was before you started having issues.

It's one of those surgeries that in many cases produces negligible to marginal results.

Hi Christopher,

I live in Cranberry and invest in the Pittsburgh area. It is nerve wracking making the move to invest in your first property. I bought my first property in 2004 and wish that I started sooner and bought property in some of the Pittsburgh rental markets when it was cheaper. Make sure that you research the areas before jumping into a property if you are going to buy a rental so that you know that you can get it rented and create cash flow.

As Joel said, and he's right, you may not want to get into anything that requires you to lift much weight. With all of my properties, I opted to do all of the work myself and required lots of lifting. I'm closing on a property in Cranberry soon that is a turnkey property where I don't have to do anything, so that could be an option for you. The ROI is less on turnkey properties, but for people with full-time jobs, they can help you get started and learn about dealing with tenants, marketing on Craigslist, screening, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions about getting started.

Steve

(724) 544-7684

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

Welcome to the Bigger Pocket family. Don't lift anything buy your cell phone and pencil. Hire the right subcontractors or handy person and you will overcome the need to do anything that you would not consider doing. The advice you have been given is good, learn the area, learn what will be profitable and what will not. Attend some local real estate groups to learn what is going on in the area. Listen to the problems as well as the war stories and you are on your way. Again, welcome aboard.

Hi Christopher, welcome to BP.

This is a great place to learn about investing and to meet lots of good contacts. Read all the articles on the main blog, listen to the podcasts and be active in these forums and you will get a great education pretty fast.

I actually buy rentals a little West of you in Lawrence and Beaver counties.

It is good to build up your network locally so besides getting to know people here on BP make sure to check out some of the local investor events. I don't know what is around Pit that well but I know there are some. I think there is once called ACRE in or near the city. I'll let some of the locals lead you in the right direction for that though.

There are plenty of people around you on here. @Jerry Kisasonak immediately jumps to mind as a local that has been helpful to people here on BP.

Thanks @Shaun Reilly for thinking of me! I reached out to Chris and will help graft him into our network here in Pittsburgh if he's interested.

By the way Shaun, we're starting on a nice rehab project up in Beaver County in a few weeks. Things are going very well in that area in terms of the real estate market. Hope all is well with your investments there. Thanks again!

No problem @Jerry Kisasonak it is all about building networks and helping each other find the people that can help them right?

I actually just finished up a rehab on a house we will be renting out in Freedom today. Looks awesome in the pictures. I have to get down there sometime soon to see it and check out another renovation that is starting this week in New Castle.

Hey @Christopher Jack welcome to BP! I'm glad that you've listened to the podcast. You should definitely start jumping right in the forums! Also, if you haven't yet, try to setup some "Keyword Alerts." It's great for getting into local conversations.

Have you read this post yet? You might enjoy it: How to Buy a Small MultiFamily Property: A Step by Step Case Study

See you around the site!

Steve Sal vatore I too am from the area and went to College at Iup. Do you have any advice for me? I am looking to starting rentals in Pittsburgh... Thanks in advance would love to hear from you

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you