Motivated New Member from the Antelope Valley (CA)

18 Replies

Hello Everyone!

My name is Alfred Carrasquillo and I'm from the Antelope Valley in California. I just joined BiggerPockets a few days ago after finally deciding it's time to take action on this interest in real estate I've had since before I graduated high school (a long time ago). I'm greener than green but extremely excited about my future in real estate and I look forward to meeting, conversating and learning from this great community of people. I'm currently in the "education" phase and looking to establish a solid business plan/strategy for flipping and buying/hold properties. Any information, advise, "quick tips", well wishes, etc. anyone can offer is welcomed and would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance to all BiggerPockets members who contribute to this site. I've already learned so much from all the amazing posts / information that can be found all over this site.

Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Alfred Carrasquillo .

Have you set up your keyword alerts yet? Be sure to include at least one for your local area so you can meet investors near you.

You say you are in the education phase. You are in the right place to learn. Be wary of "educational seminars" that cost thousands of dollars. You won't learn anything there that you can't learn here for free.

Check out the Podcast and Blog, too.

@Mindy Jensen,

I have setup keyword alerts for my name and market areas of interest. Thanks for the great tip! 

I've been listening to the BiggerPockets podcasts since last week. I started from the beginning with episode #1 and will be finishing up episode #24 on my way home from work today (8/28). Brandon & Josh talk a lot about the "educational seminars" and "Guru's" that charge ridiculous fees that can be better used / applied to future investment opportunities. I've definitely been taking notes. I haven't submerged myself into the blogs yet but that's definitely on my long list of things to do. 

I see you're a Real Estate Agent from Longmont, Colorado. One of my short-term goals is to earn my Real Estate License. Based on what I've learned thus far, it appears to be a worthwhile investment that will benefit me in my quest to become a successful investor. What do you think? Are you also an investor? 

Thanks again Mindy!

@Alfred Carrasquillo , I thought I needed a license to invest, and it has helped me quite a bit, but it is expensive to get. There is the coursework, the testing, the background checks, MLS fees, NAR fees. You have to hang your license under a more experienced agent for at least two years in most states so you may have desk fees. Once you sell a property, you share your commission with the employing broker, who can take 50% or more of the commission. So it isn't just a matter of getting your license and then the money rolls in.

That said, it is helpful to have. You have access to the MLS, can easily do research, and you don't have to wait for your agent to show you a house, you make your own appointments and go.

I think it would be worthwhile to find an investor friendly agent first, learn the area and neighborhoods, and start that way. You can always get your license later. I think I invested $3,000 in getting my license, and all the fees, for the first year. 

Thank you Ali! I'm super glad and excited to have found BiggerPockets!

Can I ask how long it's been since you worked in the AV? I'm assuming it was as an investor? If so, how long ago and what was your experience?

Thanks for the warm welcome Brian!

I am definitely, positively, absolutely, conclusively, unambiguously (convinced yet?) serious about real estate investing. However, I'm also balanced and patient in my approach as I want to become well educated to maximize my potential for success! Regarding beginning a local REIA, I've only starting learning about real estate investing a few days ago and don't think I'm ready to start a REIA. I don't even know how/where to begin lol! =)

@Alfred Carrasquillo welcome and to "mention" someone, type the @ key and then the first three letters of their name. A number of options will appear below the reply box and you will need to pick their name from the list. When you do it right, their name appears highlighted in blue in your post.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you