Learning all I can from El Paso, Texas

8 Replies

I am a recent graduate who's always had a keen interest in real estate. Now that I am finally working as an adult, I want to learn as much as I can on how to start investing in real estate. I'm interested in buying by next year, and since I am straight out of school, I will probably not have much of a down payment. I'd love to get as much help/advice as I can from more experience people.

Originally posted by @Thomas Handy :

You should look in to a multiplex, live in one and rent the others out.  If I could start all over again that's what I would do. 

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Except that I will not stay in El Paso for until 2017 the latest. So I would have to be able to sell it by then. People are telling me that the market in EP is very slow and I might have difficulty finding a seller. Any advice on that? 

My ultimate goal is to build passive income over time by having multiple multifamily homes throughout my state of residence . My short-term goal is to use the money from one investment in order to make new ones down the line.

@Lynnsay Marsan if you want passive cash flow then you moving is actually a very good thing because you'll be able to live in the property for a little bit rent free then go buy another multifamily property and do the same thing in the new market. If you want to shorter-term cash to invest then maybe do some wholesaling on the side to get the chunks of cash. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you