Investor from Israel

20 Replies

Hey everyone, 

Going through the site is really great and I'm happy to participate. I've been investing in real estate in the USA and Europe for the last few years. Investing mainly in commercial deals, worked for a few years in risk management and later on for a real estate private equity firm in Israel. Now I am trying to enter the Single Family Rental investment world. Really trying to "learn the ropes" and this site is great for that. 

Hope to learn more from all of you!

@Tomer Ravid

Hi Tomer! Welcome to BP.

I'm out here in Seoul, Korea, and I bought my first SFR in 2014 as part of a Joint Venture. It's been quite an adventure as I bought in Florida, a state I've never been to!

Luckily I was able to connect with great partners on the ground and everything's gone really well. I have BP to thank for meeting my partners as well as helping me understand what to do. 

My next investment will be a mobile home park - I'm now starting the due diligence process while I'm in Korea. 

Anyways, if you ever want to talk strategies and resources, feel free to reach out. International real estate investors like us definitely have our own set of issues (although I'm a US citizen so that makes things easier.) I've been able to do a lot of the due diligence (at least initial) online, so if you want any tips on that, let me know.

@Ben Leybovich Hahaha ^^ I hope all is good in Ohio! It's been too long since our last talk.

@Tomer Ravid

Here's one list of resources I compiled:

http://www.seoulreimeetup.com/a-great-big-list-of-...

I can talk more about specifics if you have questions. 

Here's another good link to a BP article written on researching a city's economic growth:

http://www.seoulreimeetup.com/investing-in-the-us-...

I'll send you a link to a presentation I did on how I was able to buy my first SFR from Korea. It walked through some of the DD that I did.

Hope it's helpful and if you have questions, let me know. Glad to help share my experiences.

Originally posted by @Tomer Ravid :

Hey everyone, 

Going through the site is really great and I'm happy to participate. I've been investing in real estate in the USA and Europe for the last few years. Investing mainly in commercial deals, worked for a few years in risk management and later on for a real estate private equity firm in Israel. Now I am trying to enter the Single Family Rental investment world. Really trying to "learn the ropes" and this site is great for that. 

Hope to learn more from all of you!

Welcome Tomer. If you ever decide to work in the Ohio market let me know. 

Shalom @Tomer Ravid , welcome to BP.

I am invested in the Metro Detroit area, and looking at other opportunities as well now, including crowd funding.

Long distance REI, has its own set of challenges. Would be happy to share experiences. Best of luck.

@Daniel Ryu I am a US citizen residing in Israel. Originally from NY. I am finding it challenging to do my due diligence from overseas. There are a ton of contacts out there but it's hard to know who to trust and it's hard to get know an area from far away. Any tips? Anyone else is welcome to put in there 2 cents.

Good point and it is the most important point for overseas investors - numbers do not matter much unless you have a team on the ground that you can trust. There is a lot of information available on this site and other sites but nothing will take away the ability of a local team to identify and manage that "great" deal.

We are based overseas and we are only working with overseas investors.  Over the years, we have built a network of agents and property management firms that we can trust (while we also have a list of those that do activities that do not meet our standards). 

I simply recommend conference calls (and many of them) - we as a team are spending about 80h on the phone every week doing international long distance calls with the US. You learn so much by talking to people on the phone versus spending hours reading on websites. It is similar like a candidate who sends you a resume for a job in your company - it can be a perfect resume but the person whom you talk to might be someone completely different.   Frankly, talking to anyone in the US is similar as conducting an interview. Someone who shows up late for a conference call gets the same bad rating as we interview a candidate to join our team here in China.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you