Multi-Family Investor from Southern California

22 Replies

My name is Bill Manassero.  I just entered the real estate investing world last year after nearly 11 years in Haiti as a missionary and director/founder with Child Hope International.  I'm focused on cash flow primarily, to eventually be free enough to grow my business and continue to help Haiti.   I've been on BP a while but never officially did the member introduction thing -- so, here goes.  Started out in 2014 with SFRs, moved to duplexes and now to apartments, realizing that multi-families work best for my interests and talents.  I invest out-of-state in Memphis, Atlanta and Indianapolis. Looking also into Dayton, Kansas City, Phoenix and Charlotte.  Currently, have offers/LOIs on apartments ranging from 8-30 units.  Next step, is to focus on 100 plus units through syndication.  Looking to meet others from So Cal (I'm in Mission Viejo) and in my investment markets.  Thinking of starting an "Old Dawgs" network for 60 plus investor newbies who are like me -- cash flow focused and on a short-term learning curve.  I am thrilled to be involved in real estate investing and to hopefully meet others with the same interests.

@Bill Manassero

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I like your Old Dawys idea. I feel like similar without being in my sixties. I will mention this concept to my parents.

Take advantage of resources Bigger Pockets has to offer such as: ebooks, forums, blogs, awards, webinars, podcasts, keyword alerts, the learn tab, informative people in many fields of real estate, colleagues, and more. Connect with REIA meetings, accountability partners, and mastermind groups. Enjoy as you prosper.

@Bill Manassero I read your post again. I noticed more about you when I went back to send a colleague request. I realize you have been utilizing the site more than I thought. I'm impressed with the number of votes you have in comparison to post. I'm very new to the site. I joined last month. I'm constantly setting more and new goals for myself each day since I joined Bigger Pockets. Upon viewing your numbers I stop and wanted to view post you previously made. 

Hi @Bill Manassero Welcome officially. I'm very interested in apartment buildings as well and have been investing in Indianapolis up to this point. I get emailed deals regularly but have not taken the steps to make a 100 plus unit happen yet. 

If you would like to chat I just live up in Long Beach and we could meet somewhere halfway. 

Originally posted by @Bill Manassero :

My name is Bill Manassero.  I just entered the real estate investing world last year after nearly 11 years in Haiti as a missionary and director/founder with Child Hope International.  I'm focused on cash flow primarily, to eventually be free enough to grow my business and continue to help Haiti.   I've been on BP a while but never officially did the member introduction thing -- so, here goes.  Started out in 2014 with SFRs, moved to duplexes and now to apartments, realizing that multi-families work best for my interests and talents.  I invest out-of-state in Memphis, Atlanta and Indianapolis. Looking also into Dayton, Kansas City, Phoenix and Charlotte.  Currently, have offers/LOIs on apartments ranging from 8-30 units.  Next step, is to focus on 100 plus units through syndication.  Looking to meet others from So Cal (I'm in Mission Viejo) and in my investment markets.  Thinking of starting an "Old Dawgs" network for 60 plus investor newbies who are like me -- cash flow focused and on a short-term learning curve.  I am thrilled to be involved in real estate investing and to hopefully meet others with the same interests.

Bill,

Any interest in Memphis Duplexes? or perhaps New Construction?

Jw

Hi @Bill Manassero

Thanks for the introduction. Glad to see you transitioned in Multi-Family investing. How is out of state investing treating you so far? Have you purchased any recent MF properties in the areas you mentioned or are you simply evaluating. 

I have been buying MF in Atlanta and would be curious to see how Atlanta stacks up against other areas you are investing in. If your travel plans bring you to Atlanta or if you have any JV/syndication opportunities feel free to connect with me.

Good Luck!

@Bill Manassero welcome to bp and your work in Haiti sounds great. I am familiar with the Kansas City market but not a expert with 5 or more units. You can always send me a email about Kansas City. I found out that google fiber is going in Kansas City so that seems to be good for the overall area.

@Renae Steward.  Yes BP has been an amazing resource for me.  The PRO membership has been well worth the investment as well.  I read what you are doing with students and I commend your efforts.  That's a great idea.  I wish someone would have taught be about real estate when I was that young.  Good work!

Hi @Bill Manassero ,

I'm right down the street from Mission Viejo in Irvine. Welcome!  As I am looking in the Ohio area as well.  

In order to link people's name(s), just put the "@" sign and start typing the persons name.  Right below the message box you should see the persons profile pic along with their name. Just click on it and voila. 

Thanks for stopping by Mr. Brilliant (Already I'm feeling intimidated!).  Would be very interested in meeting to discuss Indy.  Message me offline and we'll set up a day that works.

@Bill Manassero...Welcome! 

A special welcome to you!  So...you've made me feel better. I have wanted to do this since I was in college, but took the corporate route; and worked my butt off...believing the hype. Made a good living, and allowed the nice paycheck to defer following my passion. Then I got laid off late in my career...I decided to invest some of my severance to fund my dream. I'm so glad I did. I'm getting started very late in this game; and I find that it is full of talented, young, smart-working, savvy investors. Sometimes, I feel so out of my zone! We will be fine though. I'm enjoying the journey! Hope you do too...

@Cynthia Calhoun I did the same thing. Almost 25 years in business and nothing but a modest IRA account to show for it. In a little over a year, I have 4 properties and offers on apartment buildings, healthy cash flow and a more than promising outlook for the next 10-20 years. Us late starters, I believe, are more motivated than many of the youngsters out there because the clock is a tickin'. I encourage you to continue to pursue your dreams and if I can be a resource, feel free to contact me. God bless.

Absolutely, we are! I "almost" feel like sleep is a necessary evil these days. I'm so psyched that I'm "finally" living out my passion, and have learned things that I know will change the lives of those who will listen. Not only do I feel that I'm living my passion, I also believe I'm living my purpose. I now know that I need to teach adolescents and young adults how to begin establishing their legacy much earlier in life. I feel that I allowed my clouded dreams of the corporate ladder to waste so much of my time; and I will always teach a different strategy. I feel that I need to constantly redeem the time, however...I know "all things" happen in seasons of time, and His timing is never late...

Hello Bill, My name is Ramsey, I am a newbie myself from Pacific Grove Ca. I like to welcome you to BP. Cash flow is my goal, and I am looking to Memphis because I have a good friend who lives in English Town, I asked his help in identifying the good areas with zip codes. hope to connect and explore this market. If the idea sounds good to you let me know.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you