Newer to Bigger Pockets, But 1 year Investing Experience

4 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets :) 

My name is Kadan Atkin and I would love to share my story with you all. 

I am 20 years old and graduated high school with the honors of both Valedictorian and Student Body President ( graduated with a small class of 122 students)

I have been involved in investing for about 2 years have assisted with flipping my brothers homes @Jordan Atkin ( approximately  20 homes in 2 years) during this time frame. 

I did my first deal on my own when I was 19 ( I closed on my birthday) and during my first year of investing I closed 6 transactions 2 Bird dogs, 1 wholesale, 2 hard money loans and a home purchase. 

I also worked on a real estate investment team where we have closed just over 20 wholesales this year, purchased 18 units this year and done a couple agent transactions here and there. I by no means closed all of these by myself @Trevor Thompson @Matt Atkinson @Lani Juett @Linda Lisle. I have also assisted in property management of the 72 units that our team currently manages :). 

I would love to learn more for everyone's experience and ask: If you could start over again at 18 what would you do better the second time? 

I am always looking to grow and to learn. I am most interested in owning apartment units and commercial property (currently i own my personal residence with partners and it is working wonderfully !). 

Any advise or tips for a young investor would be heard and implemented :) 

Kadan Atkin

Hello Kaden:

I am impressed with the wealth of experience you have accumulated in a very short time. It has taken some of us years to gain that much experience that I have learned for your tender years. I started investing when I was young also (24) , but not as young as you! If I had to do it all over again, I would have followed my "instinct" more often. When you are young and inexperienced, you are afraid to take risks (at least I was) . After joining an  investment group, (such as BP) I started to be more pro-active and decided to get into the rental market. It was difficult though, because I had a full time job, investing was a "part-time job." The advantage of getting a steady paycheck was that I was able to qualify to purchase more rental properties. My advice to you is to try and use OPM (other people's money). The first time I heard this term was from Donald Trump (the real estate tycoon, a master of using OPM). Ignore the "naysayers" and negative people. The more someone tells me" it can't be done", the more I am motivated in "proving them wrong". Only follow the advice of successful people, and ignore the "losers", that have nothing to offer you, because they have never succeeded at anything nor accomplished anything. Kaden (btw, my grandson is Kadyn) keep doing what you're doing, and mimic other successful investors. BP is a fantastic forum, where you can pick people's brain. I am impressed how open people are here, and how eager they are to talk about their successes and share how they became successful. My last word of advice:  remove the word "failure" from your vocabulary. Keep repeating to yourself "I will succeed, and there is no way that I will fail.  That is not acceptable." I believe in "positive thinking, and that you attract what you think." You have the advantage over all of us, you are very young, and you will be very successful and be able to retire at a very young age. I'm envious! (Kidding of course!).

The best of luck to you! Contact me if interested in buying beachfront condos for around $100,000 in one of the most beautiful beaches on Oahu! It's a well kept secret. Most of the units have a tenant already in place!

Aloha!

Gloria Almendares - Principal Broker

Realty By The Sea

Gloriain[email protected]

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you