New from Springfield MO

12 Replies

I learned about BP through listening to the podcasts, and am always looking for information, so I joined here to learn as much as I can. I've posted a few responses to some topics already, but thought I should introduce my wife and I as well. My wife and I are investors in Springfield MO, having previously done just a little while we lived in Chicago in the late 90's. I still hold a "part-time" job (drive a semi-truck for 2 weeks, then home for a week to help with remodeling), while my wife is the property manager and contractor. We started in MO in 2004 with 2 SFR's at the same time, backed off a bit by selling one 18 months later for a slight profit, and then started moving forward again with acquisitions in 2010 as the market became favorable. We tend to buy the worst on the block (typically vacant), remodel it completely prior to our first tenant moving in, and then hold it as long as it makes financial sense. Believe it or not, my WIFE does most of the remodeling (drywall, mud/tape, ceramic tile, cabinet refinishing), while I do the heavy lifting, demolition, and computer work. It plays to each of our strengths.

So, if you see me post every now and then, it's because I have some down time from driving, and a good internet signal.  Thanks for all your insights and wisdom!

Originally posted by @George Kaberlein :

I learned about BP through listening to the podcasts, and am always looking for information, so I joined here to learn as much as I can. I've posted a few responses to some topics already, but thought I should introduce my wife and I as well. My wife and I are investors in Springfield MO, having previously done just a little while we lived in Chicago in the late 90's. I still hold a "part-time" job (drive a semi-truck for 2 weeks, then home for a week to help with remodeling), while my wife is the property manager and contractor. We started in MO in 2004 with 2 SFR's at the same time, backed off a bit by selling one 18 months later for a slight profit, and then started moving forward again with acquisitions in 2010 as the market became favorable. We tend to buy the worst on the block (typically vacant), remodel it completely prior to our first tenant moving in, and then hold it as long as it makes financial sense. Believe it or not, my WIFE does most of the remodeling (drywall, mud/tape, ceramic tile, cabinet refinishing), while I do the heavy lifting, demolition, and computer work. It plays to each of our strengths.

So, if you see me post every now and then, it's because I have some down time from driving, and a good internet signal.  Thanks for all your insights and wisdom!

Hello and welcome!  I am still learning..  I am 59 years old and have been quite educated allready.  I have been in college and construction service since I was 17.  I graduated from college and I have had a brokers license since 1980 .  I have had a stroke and am cotillion recovering and I have a pretty sharp mind still.  If you think I can help you please write me?  Good luck!pppoppppppo

@George Kaberlein - Welcome to the BP community. It's good to hear about your tandem in house construction team which consists of you and your wife.

Good luck with your REI activities and we look forward to future interactions, when both of you take breaks from your construction activities.

George,

Welcome to BP.  Sounds like the two of you have a strong work ethic which is definitely a plus.  I've done lots of similar work in many of my rehabs as well and actually I really enjoy the work.  You'll be able to learn all and more you'll need right here on BP.  

@George Kaberlein

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. You can pass a welcome to your wife between her installing drywall. It is nice to have you both join the site. It is extremely nice to hear other women are also doing carpentry work.

Looking forward to sharing insights with you in the forums. At bottom of this page is a list with help in it. Click on help. You will see answers to questions that you didn't even think of.

Enjoy as you prosper.....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you