New, from Sterling Massachusetts

17 Replies

The time is right for me.  I am a budding RE investor who is researching the wide variety of options for investing, and starting to network.  I left a career as a Physical Therapist in Canada to relocate to the US with my husband.

My head is swimming with information overload so I've taken the time to write down what it is I hope to accomplish, what interests me the most, where I think I'll feel comfortable starting, and what/who my current resources are.  That has helped to ground my thoughts.

I'm new to investing and have lived in MA for just over a year.  Clearly one of my weaknesses is understanding the local market, local regulations, and what communities and neighborhoods are 'hot versus not' i.e. which have high crime, which are expensive, which have great rental potential, which are convenient for transit, etc. 

My current plan includes starting with a few buy and sell properties with minor rehab involved, and/or buy and hold rental properties.  I'm researching other interesting options such as probate and wholesaling, but really, I can't even list which of the options will be 'right' for me, partly because there are so many, but also because my knowledge and understanding are yet insufficient. 

My intent would be to 'work' within a half-hour radius initially, but expand my boundaries once I had some experience under my belt.  Ultimately, one of my goals is to own a property close to Boston that is available for personal use as well as rental income. 

If I, as a complete newbie, can be of any assistance to someone who is working on an investment project and needs someone with a bit of time on their hands... please let me know. Otherwise I'll have my eyes in books, on Bigger Pockets, on Meetup, on REIA groups, on practicing analyzing deals, and making connections with people.

I look forward to getting to know many of you!

Welcome @Lydia S. !

You will find that this is a great place to learn.  I would start with the Ultimate Beginner's Guide.  Next, listen to all the BP podcasts. 

Finally, choose 2-3 REIAs and start attending them regularly.  This is the most important and also the one people have an issue with. 

Good luck!

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for the greetings gents!

@Robbie Reutzel I've already begun your suggestions on what to read and watch when I signed up on BP recently.  It's easy to get side-tracked with all the information available, and links that I follow to no end... :) so I have yet to finish the Beginner's Guide.

I have started to review REIA's in the area. Fortunately, today I also happened upon a notice for a local Meetup for newbie investors right here in our town in 2 weeks, which I committed to.

Welcome @Lydia S. !  I'm new too - so in the same shoes as you - and also nearby (Harvard, MA).

@Robbie Reutzel - I'm heading to a few REIA meetings in my area over the next month (for the first time). What do you feel people should really get out of these? What should I be looking for an spending my time on there (and as followup)? Obviously I get that "making contacts" is the aim - but anything specific you could mention beyond that would be very helpful. Thanks!

@Michael Morton @Lydia S.

I think the most important thing is to surround yourself with like-minded people as much as possible.  Get an idea of what type of investing you want to start with and then find investors doing that.  Just ask if you can take them to coffee or lunch and pick their brains.  Most will agree to it.  

Beyond just making contacts, most groups will allow you to introduce yourself to the room.  That is a great time to let everyone know you are a beginner, what you are interested in and then volunteer your services to more experienced investors.  You'll be surprised at how many will take you up on it..

@Mark Nolan Thank you!  I am vey excited to be part of this great community and continue to read/ watch/ and take notes.  I read The E-Myth revisited the other day and found many valuable suggestions that I'm still processing.

As a previous educator and mentor in my field, it's refreshing to be the one learning and hunting out information.

I'm truly itching to get started but still have a few more months of education before getting rolling.

If only I was ready now!... As I would like to make the most of the fall market before the rush of spring, but my ducks are not yet in a row.

Welcome to BP! 

Sounds like you've got a solid plan. Most times, we plan and unexpected things come up. Though, it's always good to have one. Real estate investing can sure be like a roller coaster ride at times! 

Hello Lydia S. !!

We are super excited to have you apart of the BP family now!

Initially I began my investing career looking into fix and flips, then shifted my attention to the Notes side of the business. I found that area to be an excellent opportunity to create passive income and strong capital gains.

Looking forward to connecting with you, who knows maybe even do a deal together!

@Rachel H. 

Hello and thanks:)  I completely agree that the best laid plan is always in motion, so is therefore never set in stone.  All I can hope to do is create a vision of what both the ideal and the realistic might look like, and hope I achieve something in between.

@Roland Thomas  

I appreciate the welcome!  Even though I'm 'learning fast', I still know pretty much nothing about working with notes.  I intend to peek at the topic this week.

Perhaps you'll let me toss a few questions your way in the near future:)

@Aaron Spencer

Hello and thank you!

Yes I found several REIA's in MA and have attended several meetings as well as corresponded with organizers of a couple which I have not attended. I really enjoy the Black Diamond meet-up and made some great contacts through that venue!

May you see great success through real estate investment!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you