Newbie Investor from Norfolk, Va.

10 Replies

Hey guys, I'm Shawn from the Norfolk, Va and I am brand new to real estate investing and currently reasearching the avenue of buy and hold investing in rental properties. I want to build a portfolio of single family, dueplex, triplex and quads in the Hampton Rhoads area of Va. I have about had enough of the "rat-race" and I'm ready to become financially free thru real estate investing.

Welcome Shawn!

We all have to start somewhere and BP has a wealth of knowledge to help get you out of the"rat race". I look forward to seeing your success in real estate and life!

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Hey guys, I'm Shawn from the Norfolk, Va and I am brand new to real estate investing and currently reasearching the avenue of buy and hold investing in rental properties. I want to build a portfolio of single family, dueplex, triplex and quads in the Hampton Rhoads area of Va. I have about had enough of the "rat-race" and I'm ready to become financially free thru real estate investing.

Welcome Shawn! We are turnkey operators in CLE outside of your immediate area, but, until I got into turnkey I was part of the rat-race and I am happy I got out and I have not looked back since. You will want to begin on BP and read as much as you can, do your homework build a strong team. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, but if you could find a mentor that has made the mistakes its a lit cheaper that way :)

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm out of Hampton, VA. Have you joined up with any REI groups in the area? A lot of these groups use Meetup. If not I highly recommend it.

Also, I'm an electrical contractor, which I find is a big help with REI personally. If you need any Electrical or construction advice or work feel free to contact me.

Wish you luck.

Chris, thanks for the info. I will be looking for those meetups over the next few weeks and if I have any electrical questions I will look you up.

Additionally thanks to all for the words of encouragement.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Hey guys what do the votes represent here? 

Hey Shawn I'm pretty new to the real estate game too. Welcome to BP. I've already learned so such in the short time that I've been a member. One of the first things being that buy and hold isn't necessarily the best strategy starting out if you're not flush with cash already. But that depends on you circumstances. I know for me I'm going have to flip a few houses before I can be in a position to add buy and hold properties to my investment portfolio. 

You are going to get a ton invaluable information here, trust me.  Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you