New member from Lakeland Florida

15 Replies

Hello everyone.  I came across BiggerPockets when I googled must read books for new real estate investors.  I have always had an interest in real estate and have finally decided, now that my children are all in school and I have a little more time, to learn everything I can about real estate investing!  One of the things I have learned from reading all of this wealth of information on BiggerPockets is the benefits of net working.  I am looking forward to meeting others in my area.  Please read my profile and let  me know what you think!    Thank you....Michelle

@Michelle Brown welcome to BP!  BP is a great place to learn and network, but local REIAs can be just as good.  PCREIA is the one in Lakleand.  I'm in Plant City, but have rentals and wholesale in the Lakeland area.  Feel free to reach out to me, maybe we do lunch/coffee one day... 

Thank you Manny, Adrian, and Jeff.  I am really excided there are people in the Lakeland area here.  Lakeland is growing like crazy.  I think there is a lot of opportunity here.  My dad is a retired city planner for the City of Lakeland.  He says anything along I-4 between Tampa and Datona Beach is going to really grow.

@Adrian Smude I am definitely interested in attending an REIA! Lunch or coffee would be great too!

I'm just not sure where to start, so just really reading everything I can at the moment :)

@Michelle Brown I think read everything is a perfect start.  Will help you figure out what YOU want to do.  Don't do a side of real estate that you aren't comfortable with.  But don't take forever studying/learning before jumping in.  

PCREIA.com should update you on the next meeting, it'll be in January. I look forward to seeing you there unless you want to grab lunch/coffee beforehand.  

Hi Michelle, interesting post! I agree with your thoughts near the I-4 corridor. I'm also new to the forums and the real estate community. I live over by Cape Canaveral, about 1.5-2 hours from Lakeland but have been looking in the area because it's on the rise. I've also seen a shortage in updated low to medium income properties where I'm located.

@Michelle Brown Welcome to BP and congratulations on taking the first steps toward meeting your goals.

I read your profile and think you have an idea of what could be a profitable niche since you notice a shortage in "smaller rental homes that are updated and available for rent at a reasonable price." Perhaps you can focus on researching whether there is reasonable demand for such home and start by acquiring one such house, updating it and placing it on the rental market.

Best wishes and much success!

Lucky for you there are already several members in your area making themselves available for networking. 

@Max Eriksson Hello.  I read your profile and see you live in Titusville.  I have been there a few times to watch space shuttle launches....what an experience!!!  I wish NASA still had space shuttles.  Rockets just are not the same :)

I also see you are a helicopter pilot.  I have only one sibling which is my brother who I am very close with.  He is also a pilot.  He has is comercial pilots license and also flies helicopters.  He started out as a police officer, then flew a helicopter for police departments in the central Florida area .  Now he is flying a medical helicopter in Iowa!  He loves it!

As far as rentals Lakeland is definitely on the rise.  About 8  years ago when I was looking for a rental myself, I had a hard time locating one.  Now I have several friends looking for something that updated and priced resonable, and they are having a hard time finding something.  Not everyone wants to live in a huge apartment complex.

Hi @Pyrrha Rivers ,  I see you are in Stone Mountain.  That is such a beautiful area!  My in-laws live in Big Canoe, GA near Jasper.  I think that is not far from you.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I think that is what I am going to do.  I am hoping to meet up with some experienced investors in my area to give me direction on how to get started. 

Hi Michelle,

Glad to be of some encouragement! Stone Mountain is indeed a beautiful area and what is most familiar to me and I have a couple of properties there although I am currently quite a distance as I'm working in Japan. I hope you find your niche and great success in Real Estate investing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you