New Member From Connecticut

18 Replies

Hi Everyone,

My name is Matthew Irvine, I am a 25 year old living in southern Fairfield County, CT. I am new to real estate, and have not yet purchased a property. I have listened to many of the podcasts and begun reading 'Rich Dad Poor Dad'. I have some low level knowledge from a real estate class I took in college and light reading I have done over the past 2 years. I currently work full time, but am looking to begin purchasing in the coming 12 months, with the goal of buy and hold in mind.

I appreciate any advice and tips, either generally or about my market. Happy to be joining and hope to be a regular on the forum going forward.

Best,
Matt

Matt,

Welcome to BP. Since you are looking to be a buy and hold investor look into CHFA loans and maybe look into house hacking as well. You may be able to get into a multi family with very very very (they have closing cost assistance) money down and get your feet wet when it comes to land lording.

Best of luck to you!

@Matthew Irvine, good to have you on board Matthew. Nice I see you showing interest in real estate. The community here on bigger pockets is extremely helpful and knowledgeable & although I wouldn't be of much help in regards to your particular market, I am a buy and hold investor myself. So I've had my bumps in the road and have seen success within. If you have questions please feel free to pm me and I will be as helpful as I possibly can!

Have a great day and happy investing...

Welcome to the Bp community! I'm also a beginner in Connecticut and it's great to see other! Use bigger pockets to help you learn as much information as you want there are hundreds of hours worth of information here, and the best part is that it's FREE! Yes FREE!!! Also look into CT REIA they host monthly meetings every 3rd Monday of the month, happy holidays!

Welcome to BP! Always great to see more people from CT here. There is a ton of info in the forums, podcasts and blogs. Wishing you success in 2016 with your investing goals! We are hosting a New Haven Real Estate Investors (NHREI) meetup if you can make it next month, the details are here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/550/topics/251042-1-7-16-new-haven-ct-real-estate-investors-meetup

Hi Matt,

Welcome,  I think Artem's advice about house hacking is spot on as a great way to start.  House hacking is just a 21st century term for what old timers have done forever.  Start with a two or three family home and let the tenants pay your mortgage.  Also, dive into the nearly 200 podcasts that the BP guys have done over the past couple of years.  great insights and advice from folks not try to sell you a coaching program or get rich quick scheme. Also, I think a really good way to learn about the various ways to participate in the RE market.  It might help you decide which path(s0 to follow.  Make sure "Connecticut" is one of your keywords so you get notices about the monthly BP meet ups in Fairfield.  a great way to network and meet others.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you