Investor in Baton Rouge

5 Replies

I am looking to start investing in the Baton Rouge market.  Looking for deals that generate income (buy and hold).  These could be single family or multi-family or a combination of both

Welcome to BP @James Maness !  That's a great idea. ;-)

Here's your 3 step plan.

1. Stick around here for learning/networking.  Listen to the podcasts.  They are like short courses on different strategies and philosophies of investing.

2. Join "the RING". Real Estate Investors Networking Group found on meetup.com to meet other investors in the Baton Rouge market.

3. Start getting to know the market.   The more you learn, you will start to develop an idea of what your ideal property looks like.  Search for it like you are ready to buy it.  Then you can start to get an idea of how your ideas fit our market.

Keep an open mind and keep learning.  You'll never know it all.  You'll know when you are ready to start when you know a good deal when you see one.  YOU have to know a good deal when you see one, because you will get pitched bad deals a lot.  The only way not to get burned, is if you know a good deal when you see one based on your own analysis.

I am a real estate broker in Baton Rouge and while most of my agents work with owner occupant buyers, I work solely with investor properties and manage the properties for most of my owners as most are out of the country.   The best cash flow return believe it or not is actually single family residential.  Most property managers will disagree because the management of single units spread across the city is more challenging than a group of units in one place, but cash on cash return, you are better in a single family home.   Not to mention if a market were to become saturated with units, multi family would be the first to experience vacancy.  Let me know if you need help, I would be glad to help you and send you properties with spreadsheets showing returns.   Lastly, we sell all of our rentals not only renovated and rent ready, but already rented so there are no questions about what the property will actually generate.

Community Housing Development Organizations, four words to your future in real estate investing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you