New member from Corona, CA

20 Replies

Hi I'm new to BP, wanting to get in to investment real estate. I'm 28, working full time in sales for MTA, a Powersports distributor in Corona, CA.  My grandpa has multiple rental properties that fund his retirement, living in Palos Verdes, which is what got me interested. He will be a partial investor and mentor, but I'm also looking for someone local, and that has more up to date experience. 

I'm looking to purchase my first home - not sure what to start off with, either single family home, duplex to "house hack", wholesaling, or flipping all interest me. At the suggestion of the podcast, I'm trying to find a real estate agent/mentor that is experienced in rental properties, and has rentals of their own. I'm interested in Corona and the surrounding areas - Riverside to Orange County.

Hi, Jessica Welcome to BP and real estate investing. 

All of your interest are feasible to complete in our current market. I will say a lot of the options you have will depend on your finances, time, and objectives for your future. I currently invest in the orange county market, and have completed several flips, and currently have one condo in my rental portfolio.  I am also a RE Agent.  If you need anything or having any questions feel free to reach out

thank you 

jonathan  Wilks

Hello @Jessica Farr . Welcome to BP. I am a real estate broker/investor that works Riverside/San Bernardino County, more specifically the Inland Empire. I am not too far from Corona and my company actually owns several rental homes in Riverside, Eastvale and Corona.

Palos Verdes is a great place to retire. What a goal that would be! My best advice to you is to meet with several Realtors or Brokers and interview them to see who can offer you the service you are looking for. Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions. Make 2016 a great year!

Welcome Jessica.  I'm also a Corona investor.  Good luck with everything.  SFRs I think is the way to go.  But prices are high...but the market has softened in the past few months so deals may be more likely.  

You may have a hard time to find a duplex that you would actually want to live in, as people of even relatively modest means in Corona generally live in SFRs.

@Jessica Farr welcome to the BP community!  I live in Aliso Viejo and work in Pomona.  If you need any help or advice with investing outside of California especially in Kansas City, Charlotte, or Houston, I have teams set up in each city that I can share.  Granted, you probably should invest in your backyard especially because it sounds like your other rentals are in the area.  My wife Becky Lu is a local real estate agent as well and can help you look for good real estate investments if you want to PM me.

Welcome to BP! I grew up in SoCal and now I'm just next to Palos Verdes. PV is very nice. As others have stated, there's a wealth of information here. In addition to your grandpa, browse through the forums, read some articles, and connect with members. The more people you connect and talk to the faster you'll get through the learning curve. 

If you're considering purchasing as an owner occupant, you'd qualify for some attractive financing options. Lower interest rates than non-owner occupants and option to put less down through an FHA loan applicable up to 4 units. Though as @Roy Kwak mentioned above, finding a multifamily that you'd like to live in may be tough to find, but not impossible. Good luck!

Hello Jessica,

I own a full service real estate and property management company in Upland. A short drive away, but I am also in Norco every couple weeks to attend one of my Realtor friends' broker meetings. 

I would live to get together and talk about your plans since I am also a young would-be-investor. There is also a real estate investment club meeting next Saturday in Riverside.

Welcome to BP! This is def the place to get started and learning then moving. I am a new investor as well in Corona. BP has given me the means and courage to try and get my business ventures going. I hope you are able to get all the resources you need here. I too am still learning. Currently I am doing out of state whole sales and trying to get more business up and going here in the Riverside area. 

@Anthony Bautista :
Which meeting is it that is coming up next Saturday? I am in dire need of connecting and networking with other local investors to learn from as well as see if anyone has interest in out of state investments. As a side note, if someone needs some eyes on a property in the Corona area I am all about trying to help out fellow BP investors when it is feasible.
Originally posted by @Brad Srutowski :
 @Anthony Bautista:
Which meeting is it that is coming up next Saturday? I am in dire need of connecting and networking with other local investors to learn from as well as see if anyone has interest in out of state investments. As a side note, if someone needs some eyes on a property in the Corona area I am all about trying to help out fellow BP investors when it is feasible.

IEREIC Book Club and Saturday Morning Coffee @ 9AM in Riverside

REICIE Monthly Meeting @ 4PM in Eastvale

Both are on Meetup.com

I am going to the morning coffee, but can't make the afternoon.

@Jessica Farr

You are most fortunate to have a grandfather who has been a successful investor at the level you described here.

If anybody knows how to succeed in this business, he does.  Moreover, he's your grandfather.  He won't steer you wrong. 

"Partner" with him and learn all you can from him while he is still on this earth.  The basics of this business haven't really changed over the years, and there is no substitute for his experience.

Welcome Jessica! My only advice is to make sure you know how to run the numbers....knowing those will (should) sway your direction, both for location and strategy.

Hey and welcome @Jessica Farr !

Make sure to read the Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing at www.biggerpockets.com/UBG! It has a ton of information about the basic info you need to know.

Welcome to BP Jessica!  The forums are great for learning and networking. The site offers many resources on the educational tab. 

Best wishes!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you