24 year old looking to buy first property with partner

24 year old looking to buy first property with partner

Somerset, NJ · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Hey guys, I'm 24 years old living in NJ, looking to buy my first property because I want to get some sort of investment going. I have a stable government job where I make $70-80k depending on overtime. My best friend is also looking to invest and we thought we should buy a house and rent it out. We are not looking for passive income out of the rental. Just would like to own something that can help grow our net worth. I would like to use this to offset the rent I throw away every month. And I know you guys will say to move into the house but I'd rather not. The place I live has sentimental value for me and it's really cheap for the area and I don't want to let go of it. And then maybe another 5-7 years down the road, if things go well, we will buy another place. He also makes around the same amount of money. So total income is about $150k, pretax. Decent looking 2br houses that I have looked at in the area go for about $150-$175k. We have more than enough savings to cover the down payment and be able to pay the mortgage for a while in case we can't find a tenant right away. He lives at home with parents and I live in a cheap apartment with roommates so that would not be a problem. And also, before all the people start trashing the idea of working with a partner, that's not what I'm looking to discuss here. I don't have any hesitations there. I've known him since I was in diapers. We are family. Not worried about conflicts there. Just would like to know if it's a sound financial move here. Any pieces of advice in regards to type of mortgage, location, tenants, etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Fuquay-Varina, NC · Member since 2013 · 381 posts · 308 votes
10y

Hey @Pavan Patel I also am from central NJ and work with a partner, and we are not much older than you. We have a flip going in East Brunswick right now, and are closing on another rental next week. It sounds like you know what you want and are heading in the right direction.  The benefit to living in the house yourself is that you'd be able to put less of a down payment, but if that's not a problem for you, then great! What area specifically are you looking in? Are you looking for a property that you can fix up then rent out, or do you want something turn key? 

All your questions- Type of mortgage, location, tenants, etc. really depend on your specific situation, what you are comfortable with, how you are going to manage the property, how much time you have to spend on this effort, etc. I'd be happy to talk you through some of it, I'll send you a PM.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey @Pavan Patel welcome to BiggerPockets! You've definitely come to the right place to learn more about investing. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and The BiggerPockets Podcast. They are both great at learning the fundamentals.

    Oh - and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

    See you around the site!

  • Investor · Budd Lake, NJ · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Welcome!!

    It sounds like you have a clear vision for what you want!

    You live in an excellent area for investing as I have personally done it in somerset and north brunswick quite a bit.

    It sounds like you are looking for capital gains in the appreciation of your property.  These are notoriously challenging to predict because of unknown factors that could arise.

    I'd have to say looking at market conditions and what is expected in your local market can give a good insight to short term property value appreciation.  

    Somethings you may want to research in your local market.  Could the tunnel maintenance change traffic patterns that would make local train stations more desirable?  How will Devco's development in new brunswick impact neighboring towns?  Will Manhatten values continue higher, stay the same or go down, how will this impact NJ?

    Investors can be very successful profiting from property appreciation, but in general most tend to shy away from this as it is very challenging to accurately predict even with excellent research.

    I would be happy to chat more.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fuquay-Varina, NC · Member since 2013 · 381 posts · 308 votes
    10y

    Hey @Pavan Patel I also am from central NJ and work with a partner, and we are not much older than you. We have a flip going in East Brunswick right now, and are closing on another rental next week. It sounds like you know what you want and are heading in the right direction.  The benefit to living in the house yourself is that you'd be able to put less of a down payment, but if that's not a problem for you, then great! What area specifically are you looking in? Are you looking for a property that you can fix up then rent out, or do you want something turn key? 

    All your questions- Type of mortgage, location, tenants, etc. really depend on your specific situation, what you are comfortable with, how you are going to manage the property, how much time you have to spend on this effort, etc. I'd be happy to talk you through some of it, I'll send you a PM.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    No problems with your plans aside from you not seeking passive income. Passive income is necessary to be able to expand your investments going forward. You will quickly tire of the headaches from tenant and maintenance problems if there is no return for that effort. Where is the logic in choosing not to make money.

  • Somerset, NJ · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the great advice. You're right. I should be looking for passive income and not appreciation. Where would you say that number is optimized? When you settle on the purchase price or what you charge for rent? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Arpan Patel I would strongly recommend not doing it as a partner. Aside from money there is nothing that makes it worth having to deal with someone else.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.