New member from northern Virginia

8 Replies

Welcome to BP @Martin Berkeley . Id suggest looking in the areas where there is the biggest price spread between rehabbed and non-rehabbed homes. At the cheaper price points that will likely be PG county, and then DC has a number of neighborhoods at different price points.

@Martin Berkeley

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the BP resources Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide

BiggerPockets Podcast

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

good morning martin, welcome! newbie here too. just wished to introduce myself. formerly from washington, dc, i'm just getting started in the staging arena in california and i'm looking to make some connections as well. thanks and sincerely, sydney

@Martin Berkeley welcome to BP. It will always be beneficial to up your IQ on estimating rehab costs, and calculating the value of the home after repairs. If your credit score is not great, taking the time to improve it will save loads of money. This is really a question that can have a 100 page response. If you have any other questions feel free to send a PM

Welcome to BP neighbor.  Although I'm a Realtor, I'm new to the investing side as well.  This is a great site with lots of resources.  I like listening to the Podcasts & reading recommended books.  Best of luck!

Hi @Martin Berkeley

Welcome! Glad you're here. There are lots of ways to learn more and get involved in the local real estate investor community in NOVA. Bigger Pockets is great. I'd also recommend joining a local group or two... I'm a member of Capital REI, which is run by @Roger Lin, @Justin Pierce, and @John Rubino. This is a great group that meets in Fairfax City each month. Nice group with lots of good people in it. I can provide more details if you're curious. You can

Also, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction for things to think about and consider as you make a decision regarding your next steps.

Please check out my profile and reach out if you think I might be able to help you. I have lots of clients in the same boat- just getting started and trying to make the best possible choices as they move forward. It's great that you're reaching out for advice. That's a VERY smart first step. :)

Liz

@Martin Berkeley , you are in the right place to get started with the education.  Read the forums, listen to the podcasts and ask questions.  People on this site are extremely giving of their time and experiences.  Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you