• Brownsburg, IN
Votes |
Newbie from Indianapolis Area

Scotty Grider
  • Investor
  • Brownsburg, IN
Posted Aug 27 2016, 22:18

Greetings all!  

My first post here on Bigger Pockets. Excited to find such a website with all the knowledge to spark my interest back into real estate. I started an account last Wednesday, by watching the webinar. I've owned and operated a sports pub for the last 18 years. I've been investing in the stock market since 2003 and I bought 4 buy and holds in Hendricks county from late 2007 thru 2010. At the same time I bought 18.36 acres of raw land. I also purchased a condo in Scottsdale, AZ in 2010 with my Father. They had been renting there since 2004. After purchasing these properties, 20% down on the residential properties and 100% for the land, I felt like I had diversified my investment portfolio. I started pouring my extra money into the stock market during 2010 up to today. Unfortunately, I didn't see the values in 2011/2012I in my area ( my circle of competence) and I never reached out for help. I bought all of my houses on HUD, and they seemed to dry up a bit. I was uncomfortable buying homes for $125 when I was able to buy better homes that were larger and in better neighborhoods with better lots in the high 80's to mid 90's. I felt that I was unable to asses all the risks associated with flipping, so I turned back to the stock market, I have learned so much rehabbing, repairing, and managing my properties over the last 9 years. I feel more confident in my abilities to manage properties but, I'm ready to learn more about the whole process of BRRR AND FLIPS. Shout out to @daveshort. You really sparked my interest this evening listening to podcast #174. I can't wait to meet you and pick your brain. 2 words came to mind when I heard your interview ;

Humble

Honest 

I have plenty of free time and investing in stocks is not enough hands on for me. I look forward to getting back to buying real estate again. I'm excited to attend my first CIREIA MEETING NEXT Wednesday. I have a degree in Civil Engineering from Rose Hulman and look forward to new adventures.  

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Cheers!

Scotty Grider 

Loading replies...