Canadian Investor

Canadian Investor

Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone

Canadian investor wanting to invest in that really lucorative US market. I have been involved in real estate for decades in Canada, Buying, Rehab and Hold properties. Looking to enter the US market, but need a partner to do so. I would like to build a portfolio of properties for passive income and retirement. Same reasons all of you are looking to do. Thanks Ken

3Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
10y

Hi Ken,

It might help to expand on what you are looking to buy in the U.S. Some buy houses, some apartments, some commercial properties etc.  

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Umar JavaidPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · São Paulo, São Paulo · Member since 2015 · 548 posts · 79 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @Ken Grant

    We've got a ton of REI resources here! See you around...

    BiggerPockets
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    Hi Ken,

    It might help to expand on what you are looking to buy in the U.S. Some buy houses, some apartments, some commercial properties etc.  

  • Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thanks Umar for the resources information.

  • Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey Joel, thanks for the reply, I'm going to buy SFR, 2-4 units, Apartments and commercial real estate. First I need to find a US partner to raise US capitol to fund the portfolio.

  • Real Estate Investor · Vancouver, British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    HI Ken,

    I'm also a Canadian investor who spends his time in the US (Nevada).  I am not a full-time investor but am engaging.  There are a lot of factors that affect Canadians such as FIRPTA withholdings, entities etc. as well as financing.  I believe I figured out a lot of these.  Connect with me if you have  questions.

  • Investor · Clovis, CA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Welcome Ken.   You might consider Fresno, Ca.  We have years worth of homes that will need to be rehabbed and flipped.

  • Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi Peter, I would really like to know how to go about setting up a corporation in the US, what to do and what no to do? Also financing your deals, how much cash down or nothing down and who you are dealing with right now on your deals, and any other things I should now as a Canadian investor, Thanks Ken

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    9y

    @Ken Grant

    Hello and welcome to B/P.  I was born in Canada but have lived most of my life in Las Vegas. I am here in Vancouver as I am here helping Canadians that want to invest in the U.S. market to have a  successful outcome. If I can help you in some way P/M me or my email and toll number is on my bio.

  • Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 320 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Ken Grant - Welcome to BP! Great to see more Canadian investors these days. Just a question, why are you looking to invest in the US? I ask only because I'm investing in Alberta!

    Cheers,

    Ming

  • Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hey Ming, explain how you can invest in Alberta real estate and have a positive cash flow with the high prices that you have to pay, compared to the rent that you can only get?

  • Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2015 · 167 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Ken Grant

    @Will Lee

    I'm a Canadian living in Reno, NV. Building a buy and hold portfolio. I recently created an entity and there was nothing to it, now I'm not taking the money out of the country as I reside here. Could be different for a non-resident. Loans have not been a problem either.

    Let me know if I can help.

  • Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hey John, yes when I'm ready some of your contacts and information would be great. Thanks Ken

  • Real Estate Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Ken Grant all of our current properties in Calgary is cash flowing. The number works, it's simply a matter of a bigger cash flow or a smaller cash flow at this time. 

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ken Grant Congrats on getting started in the U.S. market.  

  • Flipper · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Chris Chang would love to hear more of your properties in Calgary ! 

  • part-time investor/landlord · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Jett Rao there is still lots of safety margin to cash flow in Calgary, right now it is just much less cash flow then before.  Having upper and lower units and renting a garage separately works for me.

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    Hey welcome to Bigger pockets!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Hi Ken,

    Texas is a good option for you. Feel free to read more on my blog:

    http://www.har.com/francois-delille/agent_FDel

    I work mostly with international investor and I have financing for foreign investors as well.

    Best,

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ken Grant

    You have come to the right place to connect with the wide array of real estate professionals and investors. Make sure to view the Bigger Pockets book store: https://www.biggerpockets.com/store

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Hi all,

    As a former oilman myself, I have benefited from 2 oil booms (till 2006 and 2011 to 2014) but I also have seen the busts. For those of you who invest in Alberta, may I remind you that your oil has the highest cost of extraction on earth. The cost + pressure from environmental groups will affect future development in Calgary. Now I will let you imagine what Calgary will become if oil exploitation drops (which already is happening). The same happened to Dubai a few years ago and it was not pretty, but Calgary will be worse as there is no other attraction there than high paid oil jobs (Dubai has tourism and a bit of financial industry as well). 
    My company proposes full service package for international investors in the US, including entity setup and financing throughout the US (even if you have neither visa nor credit in the US). 

    I look forward to help you investing here.

    Best.

  • Richmond, British Columbia · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Ming Lim - do you mind elaborating on your Alberta investments?  Type of assets and location?  I've been looking at the Edmonton market for small multis (4-8 plexes) and although cap rates not overly attractive at 5-6%, the avg price of $120k/unit is much more attractive than my Vancouver market.....which would be an appreciation play mainly.  Thanks!

  • Edmonton , Alberta · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    The apartments that sell for 120,000 basically rent for 750-900. And the demand for those are falling. I look at places in that range but the condo fees literally kill the profit that you can make on rentals.
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi Ken

    There's still solid cash flowing value add apartment communities in select high growth areas of the U.S.  We are focused on Dallas mkt. If I can be of any help in educating you on this market and current opportunities please PM me.

  • Investor · Cochrane, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks Ken

  • Realtor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Xuan-Thy (XT) Bui 

    How long have you been looking at the Edmonton market and from whom have you been getting your info? I work with Mogul Realty Group in Edmonton and I literally scour the market day in and day out for suited bungalows and small multi-family.

    There's a suited duplex that I'm looking at right now (Legal duplex with non-conforming suites in each basement) 
    List : $624k

    Rents : Unit 1,2 $1,350 each Unit 3,4 $950 each = $4,600

    It cashflows about $1000/month including property management

    It's between and 8-9 cap. I'm seeing these kinds of properties pop up fairly regular.

    Give me a shout if you want to chat. I'll be coming to Van the 2nd week of May for a REI event as well if you want to connect then!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.