Trying to get my feet wet

9 Replies

Hey BiggerPockets community! Absolutely love this site and the content they post. I've only recently started scouring the forums as well which is packed full of information as well. I can't wait to use it all to my advantage to get going!

That being said my current focus is deal number one. I'm searching in St. Louis county for a small multi-family to owner-occupy and rent the other units. The supply isn't crazy here it seems and I've recently had a significant amount of my income (30-40%) start to come from tips. That's just a bit of where I'm at right now and I can't wait to network with the community further!

House hacking seems like a great idea, @nicholasRRay!  Plus you'll be onsite to be able to property manage it directly as you get started.  Best of luck in STL!

Welcome, @Nicholas Richard Ray . I agree, house hacking is an awesome way to get started! What areas of St. Louis county are you looking in? I personally haven't seen a lot of small multi-family properties in the county... I mostly see them in the city.

Hello @Nicholas Richard Ray and welcome to Bigger Pockets. The road map for real estate investing success is right here.  Connect with experienced investors, learn everything you can, and get deals done correctly. Congratulations, you came to the right place. I wish you all the success on your journey.

Thanks all for the replies! Just getting home from work now so I apologize for the delayed response.

@Todd Olivas - Thanks! I believe I'm in the right place to start and build my knowledge in order to get off on the right foot!

@Account Closed ","user_avatar":{"medium":{"url":"https://biggerpockets.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/avatar/no_avatar.svg"}}}" href="/users/AnthonyM239">@Account Closed - Thanks I appreciate it! Like I said before I definitely feel this is a great place to be for me to start on the right path!

@Nicholas Richard Ray , makes sense. I'm always watching South City for multi-families in solid areas. I really like Shaw, Tower Grove South, The Hill, Southwest Garden, Northampton, Southampton,  Princeton Heights, etc. The trouble is, everyone else likes those places too, so prices are a bit high for me as an investor. But they might make more sense for you as an owner-occupant/house hacker. Best of luck!

@Megan Greathouse I think I'm likely gonna try to be in The Hill area if all goes well for me. I definitely feel the house hack is my only way to get a decent investment going especially if I can attain the FHA loan. I appreciate all your feedback. Also, in the spirit of learning and networking, do you mind if I shoot you a private message? I'm researching as much as I can but you seem like you would have a good feel for the area and what rents and such may be.

@Nicholas Richard Ray ... feel free to message me! I'm no expert, but I've been trying to study a few farm areas for a while now, and watching MLS listings, so I've learned a few things. Always happy to help where I can.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you