best fireplace insert for a flip

5 Replies

howdy BP'ers

we have a house we are rehabbing (flipping) in Denver that has two fireplaces, the upstairs has a working gas log set up from the 50's, cute but probably not terribly efficient. the basement has a fireplace with a gas pipe stubbed to the fireplace that is currently a wood fireplace. we are thinking of keeping the downstairs FP as wood burning. the question is what to put in the upstairs fireplace. tell us your thoughts:

gas insert ?

electric insert ?

other thoughts ??

thanks

Thank you Matt.  We have a gas insert in our house and are happy, too:-)   Because of the cost for a gas insert and installation,  I'm leaning toward an electric fireplace for the up stair living room   I'm wondering if people like an electric one.   A good idea or bad idea for selling point?

K

@Ric Weidner , stay away from the Heat-Glo products. I had a couple problems with these gas units. One of them would not start with remote and would not turn off once started. The other had the same issue, but this unit actually would try to start but would fire up after about 3 tries. Called the service help line and was told to read the troubleshooting manual " duh". We reset the control unit and the fireplace worked as it should, at lease for 2 months until I got a picture from my customer showing glass blown across the room. She said that the fireplace would try to ignite over and over before finally firing up. But this time it tried to fire up 2-3 times then blew-up. After calling the rep for this product, the next thing we know there was a living room full of people doing a failure inspection, they were from the store, distributor, manufacture and a independent 3rd party tech ( that I later learned he worked for the manufacture). As they took this unit apart they laid blame on the installer but they didn't know I installed it as I stood there, listening to these folks. Long story short, they change the controller unit/computer which was not effected by the explosion and they replaced the front panel assembly . I called them to ask why they replace the controller and was told it was a upgrade, which was B.S, it was a bad unit. They never took blame for the issue and they insisted that it was installer's fault. You would think that one of those folks would have noticed the cameras throughout the home, then maybe they would have not been so outspoken talking about the bad board in the controller and that it was a remanufactured unit and should have never been put in a new fireplace. I guess they didn't want to pay for the 1500sf of Acacia flooring all the glass slid across.

Robert

thanks for the night mare story on Heat-Glo stuff. our business partner is leaning towards an install of an electric unit, which strikes me as a level up from putting a picture of a fireplace on the wall....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you