Land flipping in Tennessee!

10 Replies

Hello, My names Chris and I’m new the BP forums. At the beginning of the year my mom, sister and myself decide we wanted change! So together we embarked on this new journey of real estate investment. After doing some research and coming across Seth Williams from REtipster we decide land flipping was a great method of investment for us. We want to owner finance land to end buyer dreaming of building a home! Not only helping those but also creating passive income for ourselves. Since the beginning of this year, 2018, we’ve pulled a tax delinquent list and sent out mailers, bought 4 pieces and sold 2, and are working to buy 3 more lots from that first mail out. All together from our first mailing of 500 we got 18 potential properties! We’re excited about the success thus far. I would love to connect with other land investors or buyers in Tennessee. I live near rock hill,sc but do business in TN. I love BP and the great info it has brought to the community! Thanks for all you guys do!

Why would you not go all the way and actually build spec houses and further take profits on the project (say you build at 150 per sq ft and sell at 200 per sq ft). With the hot market you may even be able to have people go  in escrow before the house is complete...

By the way, congrats on the success so far ...

@Christopher Brooks welcome to BiggerPockets!

You are definitely on the right track. @Seth Williams is a great and knowledgeable land investor, so you are in good hands.

Also, thanks so much for reaching out in BiggerPockets. BiggerPockets is a good start toward getting deals done correctly.

Congratulations, Christopher,  and I wish you a ton of success in your real estate investing career!

Welcome to BP @Christopher Brooks ! We have some rental properties, but have been looking into land investing, too. Just about ready to send out our first round of mailers. 

Congrats on the early success, and best wishes!

that’s awesome Linda! I know we were nervous and excited when we sent out or mailing. We did  it on a Wednesday and no calls till Monday... then the wave started! For the next 4 days at about 11 am and 2 pm I got calls every day. It was a bit overwhelming. But @Seth Williams from retipster.com has a list of things to ask people when they call. I printed that out and left it and a notepad and pen in my truck. On my lunch break and after work I’d sit in the car and return calls and ask those questions. It was craziness lol my partners (mom and sister) were on vacation and I’d message them info to help me research stuff. I’d go home and work till I couldn’t see straight doing research on each property. That craziness lasted about a week! After the dust cleared we had 1 yes offer for 4 lots, 3 back burner lots that we’re now working on closing, and one lady with the 12 lots we had to let chill for the time being 😳 and of course a few offended no’s lol this was in March of this year. Over the last 6 months I’ve reached learned and done things I never imagined I would have done (title searches, writing contracts, owning land in a state I didn’t it live in😂) theres  been huge victories some  defeats as well. All in all I love it! Well good luck to you Linda! If you need anything I’ll do my best to help!   

Hey @Christopher Brooks . Your post gives me so much hope. I am also new to BP and real estate investing all together.  My cousin and I are in the beginning stages of our first try at land flipping here in Minnesota.  We have received a list from the county and scrubbed it. We are excited to send out the first mailer, but I figured we should do a little more research just in case we get someone looking to sell.  I was just curious if you self close your deals or not, and if so, what forms are all necessary for that? The math just doesn’t add up on some of these deals if you have to give a title company a piece of the pie. Thank you for any advice and congrats on a great start! I hope to have similar success!

Josh Harren

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you