Beginner in St. Louis

7 Replies

Hi everyone!

I am just entering into the real estate investing world. I look forward to contributing to the site and learning a lot.

My interest in REI has been growing over the last year, but I am really interested in assembling my core 4 in the St. Louis area and networking with other investors.

Best,

Thomas 

Updated about 3 years ago

Just to provide a bit more information - I currently live in the St. Louis area (Wildwood, MO - 3 yrs) but am from Greenville, SC.

Welcome to BP! I live in the California Bay Area, but I just put in an offer on my first property in St. Louis, so we'll see how it goes. Do you live in the St. Louis area or are you investing from out of state?

Welcome to BP Thomas! I am actually in the Saint Robert area! I would love to get together with you for some coffee! @Drake Schmid and I are getting together in Shawnee Bend, MO near Lake of the Ozarks this weekend! 

I to am looking to build my Core 4! Look forward to talking to you!

@Thomas Powers  I’m an agent in St. Louis.  My office is at Manchester and Kirkwood Rd.  Shoot me a message if you ever want to meet up.   I’ve been an agent since 2011 and have been working with some investors over the last couple years.

Good luck Michelle! I live in the area, about 45 mins from downtown. How did you end up choosing STL, if you don’t mind me asking. 

Originally posted by @Michelle Eisenberg :

Welcome to BP! I live in the California Bay Area, but I just put in an offer on my first property in St. Louis, so we'll see how it goes. Do you live in the St. Louis area or are you investing from out of state?

Good luck Michelle! I live in the area, about 45 mins from downtown. How did you end up choosing STL, if you don’t mind me asking. 

Originally posted by @Michelle Eisenberg :

Thanks Justin! Not too far then. 

Are you primarily interested in the Lake of the Ozarks area or STL, as well? Let me know if you make it this direction in the near future.

Best,
Thomas

Originally posted by @Justin Blue :

Welcome to BP Thomas! I am actually in the Saint Robert area! I would love to get together with you for some coffee! @Drake Schmid and I are getting together in Shawnee Bend, MO near Lake of the Ozarks this weekend! 

I to am looking to build my Core 4! Look forward to talking to you!

@Thomas Powers It's nice that you live locally. There are definitely challenges to investing from out of state, but it seems to be working out so far. I have a great agent who has made the process much easier.

I decided to invest in St. Louis because I lived there for ten years before moving to California. Northern California is too expensive right now to make buy and hold work--rent is really high but not high enough to even cover the cost of the mortgage in most cases. Since I like St. Louis and have family and friends there, it makes a lot of sense to invest there. As I'm sure you know, property isn't too expensive, it's possible to find a good number of properties in good areas that satisfy the 1% rule or greater, and given how many good universities and companies are in the area, I don't see the city declining anytime soon. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up back in the St. Louis area at some point, too.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you