Student Pursuing Real Estate Career

5 Replies

Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I currently am going into my senior year at the University of Iowa, where I am double majoring in Finance and Management. I have grown up working in a national contracting business, and am therefore familiar with how contractors work and communicate (I really enjoy this aspect of RE). Along with that, I have recently begun the course to obtain my realtor's license for the state of Illinois, and am a third of the way through. I have a strong desire to learn as much as possible about all aspects of RE, which is why I have taken the opportunity to work with my Uncle as a mentor, as he is an appraiser and RE investor. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning from him, as well as helping him out in all the ways I have been able to.

I have been listening to the podcast for about a year now, as well as reading books on real estate to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I am very eager to get started in RE as soon as possible. Upon graduation, I plan to live at home and save money until I can buy a 2-4 unit property. I would like to live in one unit, and rent out the others (house hack as I have learned it to be called)! 

As mentioned, I am from Illinois and would love to learn as much as I can from all of you. Any advice, education recommendations, or ideas you all have learned from your RE experiences are greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone is looking for a college student to help them out with anything or get a student's point of view on anything, feel free to let me know, and I would be more than willing to help. Thank you for your time!

Hello @Sean Liszka ! Welcome to BP. I am doing a BRRRR right now where I am living in the mother in law suite, while rehabbing, and will rent out the main house (3 bed 1 bath) when complete. I got the ideas to BRRRR and House Hack from Brandon Turner and it’s fun as hell! Message me if you have any questions. Take care.

Welcome @Sean Liszka I'm currently in the process of doing the renovations on a 4 plex in Illinois living in one of the units will absolutely help in financing it was a barrier to entry for me. I had previously purchase a primary residence one of the few things id wish id done differently. Good luck to you and your future endeavors!

Jane Garvey runs the Chicago Creative Investors Association (CIA) which meets tonight (Sunday) in Lombard, IL. The CIA is the only National REIA Chapter in the Chicago area and typically has over one hundred members and guests at the meeting along with vendors. Looking for online education let me know. We offer the Professional Housing Provider designation of National REIA to our members.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you