New Investor in Alaska

9 Replies

Hi All,

Wanted to introduce myself to the BP community-- I've been a longtime lurker here but have only recently started posting, and have been amazed by the wealth of information to be found!

A bit about me: I'm an engineer in the mining industry by trade, originally from southern CA but have migrated my way across the country to eventually land in Alaska, working outside Fairbanks but living down in Anchorage when not at work. I recently closed on my first property-- a 4plex picked up using an FHA mortgage near downtown Anchorage. I finished flipping the first unit a week ago, and I'm moving right along to getting the other 3 completed! Going forward I am looking to move into more multi-family rentals and potentially into flips. I'm finding that done right, these can be absolute gold mines-- and I would know!

Tom,

Welcome to bigger pockets! I love this site so much. The bigger pockets team and community has given me so much confidence and knowledge on real estate. I hope your real estate journey does well for you.

Brent

@Tom Schneider

Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Welcome, Tom! Look at you with your gold mine joke....you're going to fit in perfectly around here ;)

Sounds like you've hit the ground running with your real estate hustle. You'll be a great addition to the forums with your experience!

If you haven't subscribed to the Bigger Pockets podcast yet, I can't recommend it highly enough. Like you, I lurked in the forums and listened to the podcast for several years before making the leap to buying my first property. The education I received through the podcast was invaluable in giving me the knowledge and confidence to do the first deal. Eight properties later and no looking back now!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your journey!

@Tom Schneider Welcome to BP and specifically investing in Alaska. I’m just a newbie myself, but can’t complain how things are going. I currently own two 4plexes, both in Wasilla. It’s been a fun 3 years since I started. I’m curious how your rehab is going and how the numbers are looking for you. I commend you on starting with a rehab. My first house and first 4plex were both foreclosures and I did well, but am always looking to improve. Fortunately for me I did not have many repairs to do on either property. I would be interested in meeting up some time to chat. Good Luck with the rehab! Tyler
Originally posted by @Tom Schneider :

Hi All,

Wanted to introduce myself to the BP community-- I've been a longtime lurker here but have only recently started posting, and have been amazed by the wealth of information to be found!

A bit about me: I'm an engineer in the mining industry by trade, originally from southern CA but have migrated my way across the country to eventually land in Alaska, working outside Fairbanks but living down in Anchorage when not at work. I recently closed on my first property-- a 4plex picked up using an FHA mortgage near downtown Anchorage. I finished flipping the first unit a week ago, and I'm moving right along to getting the other 3 completed! Going forward I am looking to move into more multi-family rentals and potentially into flips. I'm finding that done right, these can be absolute gold mines-- and I would know!

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you