Newbie from Pensacola, FL.

14 Replies

My name is Steve Hand and just moved to Pensacola, FL.  I am currently on active duty stationed at NAS Pensacola as an instructor.  My only real-estate experience was when my  wife and I became homeowners back in June which sparked my interest in real estate.  My short-term goals is to read and learn as much as I can from this great site, meet and network with people,  with a longer term goal of owning a single-family  rental by summer 2019 with positive cash flow.  A friend who owns several rentals advised me to start listening to BP podcasts and I can say it quickly took over listening to music on my commute.  Thank you for your time, please let me know if you have any advice for a clueless newbie!

Welcome, Stephen! I am in the Pensacola area as well (AD Navy). The podcast and forum are great ways to learn! We also have a pretty great investors Guild in town for when you want to start networking in person.

Wow, thank you all for the welcomes to this site!  It's great to be back in the beautiful Pensacola area and I look forward to learning from and hopefully connecting with you guys.  

@Stephen Hand

Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Welcome @Stephen Hand . I'm active duty Marines, not living in the area any more but still have a few rentals in Pensacola & Milton.  Keep reading and listening on BP; tons of great info here. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  Welcome aboard.

Hey Stephen- Welcome to BiggerPockets!

The various books and podcast links below are those that have inspired me as well as equipped me with actionable items to move forward in my journey of finding financial freedom through Real Estate Investing. I hope this will help you as well!

Podcasts

General Real Estate investing

(I haven't listened to them all, but these were very impactful for me).

• Episode 283 - Paul Thompson - My favorite episode for sure! Very simple, straightforward innovative concepts to real estate investing. Paul does a really good job at creating examples of how he got to where he is and provides us with a wealth of knowledge.
  • Episode 276 - Bryce Stewart - "Vaccuum the Truck" is a analogy that Bryce came up with when taking his investing career step-by-step, play-by-play,
  • Episode 113 -Jay Papasan - Partner of one of the best selling Real Estate investment books, "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" and Jay gives really good practical advice to building wealth and sincere logical.

My Favorite Books

• A Helpful Book List by BiggerPockets: BP Book List Link
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Flip: How to Find, Fix, and Sell Houses for Profit
  • ABC's to Real Estate Investing
  • The Book on Rental Property Investing
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • Set For Life

Just want to share what has helped me thus far! Looking forward to connecting with you!

Take care!

Hey Brother. Good to see you again man. Call me!

-Seats

@Tim Kelly , go have lunch with this dude. He's an awesome guy, no ****, and he works down the street from you.

Thanks for the intro @Will Wiggins !

@Stephen Hand , welcome to BP! It’s always amazing to have other active military guys see the benefits of real estate. 

Like Will said, there is an incredible local REIA... PIG.

Take advantage of it, as well as all the wisdom and knowledge on this platform. 

Feel free to send me a DM so we can link up for coffee. 

Newbie here. Recently married and in school for Mech Engineering. Looking to soak up some knowledge in the real estate investment game. I would love to begin networking as well and start on the right foot.
@Stephen Hand welcome Stephen! I’m close to the Pensacola area as well, the whole gulf coast is a great place to be. Many opportunities such has SFH MFH, vacation rentals out the wazoo, perfect place to AirBnB, etc. Endless possibilities here friend. Good luck, talk to you again sometime!

Hello! @Stephen Hand

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you