Hello from Baltimore!

8 Replies

Hi there!

My name's Alyssa. My husband, Andrew, and I live in Baltimore, MD and are just breaking into this wonderful world of real estate investing. We're homeowners in Baltimore County and are hoping to purchase a second property in the Hampden, Remington, or Charles Village neighborhoods. Our current plan is to find a multi-unit property or convert a single into a multi and owner-occupy while we rent our current house. Looking forward to learning more and chatting with all you Baltimoreans out there!

Hello, Alyssa! Welcome to this "wonderful world fo real estate investing" ;)  

I'm not super familiar with the Baltimore area, but it sounds like you've given a lot of thought to your strategy and the neighborhoods where you want to execute. 

If you haven't subscribed to the Bigger Pockets podcast yet, I can't recommend it highly enough. I lurked in the forums and listened to the podcast for several years before making the leap to buying my first property. The education I received through the podcast was invaluable in giving me the knowledge and confidence to do the first deal. Eight properties later and no looking back now!

Best of luck to you and keep all of us posted on your journey!

Originally posted by @Alyssa Hammond :

Hi there!

My name's Alyssa. My husband, Andrew, and I live in Baltimore, MD and are just breaking into this wonderful world of real estate investing. We're homeowners in Baltimore County and are hoping to purchase a second property in the Hampden, Remington, or Charles Village neighborhoods. Our current plan is to find a multi-unit property or convert a single into a multi and owner-occupy while we rent our current house. Looking forward to learning more and chatting with all you Baltimoreans out there!

Hi Alyssa,

I think your are late on Hampden train, you can still find some stuff in Remington, some deals come up in Charles Village here and there, you need to jump on it.

Like Ned said, it is not easy to convert a single family to multi unit but not impossible, seen people doing it, but lately I see there is a demand for townhouses in  Baltimore, certain neighborhood. If you find a good deal, you might have to convert anything, you can just rent the house the way it is.

Good Luck!!!

What are your goals? I'd love to help you to navigate through some of these decisions, but understanding your "why" might lead me to a different answer. For instance, if you want to convert a single family property to a 2 unit with separate gas, electric and heat then the cost of that rehab may make it unfeasible, etc. Yes, Hampden is hot! That is where I started 16 years ago. Remington, Wood Berry, and Medfield border Hampden and are also great places to look.

Hello! @Alyssa Hammond

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you