New Investor from Ohio

21 Replies

Hi everyone! I'm Brett Robison and new to BiggerPockets. My wife and I are from Western Ohio, but we are currently located in Auckland, New Zealand for my job (Software Engineer).

My wife and I have had one adventure in real estate, where we purchased our first house out of college for $46k, rehabbed it over 5 years, and then sold it for $180k, profiting approximately $60k. The house was an older farmhouse and needed a lot of work, but the end result was awesome!

I recently discovered BiggerPockets through reading Brandon Turner's Book on Rental Property Investing and then listening to the podcast. I've been getting excited about real estate investing and have been trying to learn as much as possible.

My wife and I are interested in investing in rental properties (single family and small multi-family) in order to generate passive income so that we can have more time to spend with our child and do more traveling.

Welcome aboard! @Brett Robison

Glad to have you here! This is a great place to find information and contacts that can help you move forward with successful deals in Real Estate. Hopefully we can help each other out in the future. Best of luck to you! 

Originally posted by @Brett Robison :

Hi everyone! I'm Brett Robison and new to BiggerPockets. My wife and I are from Western Ohio, but we are currently located in Auckland, New Zealand for my job (Software Engineer).

My wife and I have had one adventure in real estate, where we purchased our first house out of college for $46k, rehabbed it over 5 years, and then sold it for $180k, profiting approximately $60k. The house was an older farmhouse and needed a lot of work, but the end result was awesome!

I recently discovered BiggerPockets through reading Brandon Turner's Book on Rental Property Investing and then listening to the podcast. I've been getting excited about real estate investing and have been trying to learn as much as possible.

My wife and I are interested in investing in rental properties (single family and small multi-family) in order to generate passive income so that we can have more time to spend with our child and do more traveling.

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

Welcome Brett!  Are you looking at a specific area of Ohio to invest?  There are a lot of great Ohio based contributors on BP that you might want to connect with or follow, specifically, @Ben Leybovich (formerly of Ohio), @Brandon Sturgill , @James Wise , @Engelo Rumora   

and tons more!  

I'm also investing in Ohio from afar with the same general objectives, so please feel free to DM with any questions and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. 

@Brett Robison

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

Wishing you the best!

Welcome Brett! 

I think you have come to the right place to gain knowledge on investing and make connections in the industry. I would love to be a resource if you need any information on the Title side of things. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.

Thanks for sharing the good resources, @Kevin Healey ! Right now, we are looking at Western Ohio, primarily in counties like Darke, Mercer, Miami, Auglaize, and Shelby. Mainly because we are from that area and have family there and plan on moving back there in a year or two. 

Welcome @Brett Robison Glad to assist if you have any questions. Dayton may be the closest established market for you...or maybe even into Indiana (Fort Wayne perhaps)...That said, I'm a big fan of secondary rural markets..lots of possibilities that don't exist in metro's

Originally posted by @Kevin Healey :

Welcome Brett!  Are you looking at a specific area of Ohio to invest?  There are a lot of great Ohio based contributors on BP that you might want to connect with or follow, specifically, @Ben Leybovich (formerly of Ohio), @Brandon Sturgill , @James Wise , @Engelo Rumora  

and tons more!  

I'm also investing in Ohio from afar with the same general objectives, so please feel free to DM with any questions and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. 

Thanks for the mention Kevin,

Have a great day.

Originally posted by @Brett Robison :

Welcome to the site Brett.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you