OKC long distance BRRRR

10 Replies

Hey BP members! I've been consuming information and podcasts for 18 months and its time to get active in the forums. We have a decent little duplex under our belts in Midwest City, OK that cash flows nicely. With @David Greene 's BRRRR book on repeat we really want to try our hand at a few distressed SFHs and turn them into rentals. Any perspective, suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

I own a few in mwc too.  it can be a prices are getting driven up by the out of state folks lol but there are still deals to be found.

Piggybacking on@Rhett Tullis here. Deals can always be found. BRRRR in OKC is tough right now though, outside money squeezes value a bit. We're having better odds finding houses with 5%-15% equity. Lower price points. They're good deals, and stable, but "home runs." Reach out if you have any questions. I also have a map I can upload if you want! It gives an idea of what our city is like, and what return to expect in each area.

Originally posted by @Liz Harnish :

Thanks @Rhett Tullis and @Alyssa Dyer. I have heard things are heating up in the OKC market recently, dang out of state investors! lol. I would love to check out your map, thanks for offering. I'm also interested in what your company does, we should talk. 

Deal! I think we have to be colleagues or follow each other for me to send attachments! I just sent a request and I’ll share that! 

Feel free to call/text anytime! 

Hi @Liz Harnish  

Congratulations on taking action and getting that first deal under your belt! I will second what you have already heard above. The only people I know that are consistently getting houses at price points to BRRRR are doing their own marketing. I agree with Alyssa that about 5-10% equity is pretty much the norm, even with houses that need some work.

BUT... you can still find great cash flow properties even at ARV prices. They won't have much equity to really pull out your money, but you can hit the 1% rule all day with the blue collar rentals.

there are lots of areas that you can still hit 1% rule in but many are ones I would tell you to avoid or at least see a higher rate of evictions in.  be careful where you jump in as an out of state investor.  test the market, do a property or two and if you like how it goes you can always grow from there.  while it is heating up to us locals the market is nothing like what i saw in LA during the last big boom there before the bust.

Thanks for chiming in @Cassi Justiz and @Rhett Tullis . We love Oklahoma, one big reason is because of the people! We are ok with leaving a little money in the deal for a solid cash-flowing rental. Rhett, any major headache areas you'd recommend avoiding? I'll keep you posted on the process!

shoot me a msg and i can tell you where we see most of our evictions happen each year.  that is kind of my indicator of where i do and dont place my money.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you