New Member Introduction

8 Replies

Hey, all I'm Shawn. I'm an Interior Designer in Rochester, NY and a newbie to the world of Realest Investing. I discovered BiggerPockets while attending a seminar by @Matthew Drouin  last weekend. This site is incredible and I have already learned a lot already. I have owned propety in the past, just not for investment purposes. My goal is to have my first property in 6 months. I'm interested in house haking a double, and then have my next property within a year. 

I am socially minded and am passionate about gentrification without displacement. I believe there is room for everyone in our community and that providing quality housing that is affordable is important. It's a balance of profit and compassion. This is my why. Yes I want to become rich and wealthy, and I want to do it while helping my city prosper as well.

and congratulations on getting started! Best of luck in all your endeavors.Welcome @Shaw

@Shawn O'Hara welcome aboard BiggerPockets and you are definitely in the right places. I could also strongly suggest you to join local Real Estate local gathering as well. We usually meet on second Thursday of each month. Your main job is learning what Real Estate is all about, you seem to have a strong “why” for using RE as your investment vehicle. We shared the same value: Affordable Housing and I also consider myself social entrepreneur.

Feel free to reach out to me. I have been investing in Rochester since 2013.

Alex

Once again welcome!!

Hi @AlexJones thanks for the nice welcome, and the great advice. That's the one thing that blows my mind is how helpful and willing folks are on here to help me succeed. Definitly keeps me motivated and encouraged. I do have a strong "Why" building a strong community has always been a passioin for me. I will be sure to checkout the local Real Estate events. I feel like a sponge right now and am trying to soak-up all the information I can. I look forward to connecting with you!

Best,

-Shawn

@Shawn O'Hara welcome to the club!  A good number of local investors from the Rochester market on the site.  @Alex Jones gave good advice about the local meet ups, there are a few.  

Feel free to reach out with any questions and good luck.

@Shawn O'Hara Welcome! I had the same plan as you. Closed on my first duplex a little over 6 months ago and am currently house hacking. Looking to acquire my next property ASAP. Let me know if you have any questions!

@Shawn O'Hara I’m an investor from CA and have two properties in Rochester (fourplex and duplex) I too wish to build a community without displacement. Luckily there are plenty of investors that are in Rochester that you can learn from— But I’m also always happy to help anyway I can. Good luck.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you