First Time Buyer: Norfolk, VA

7 Replies

Hi! I'm new to Real Estate, and am looking to start the ball rolling. I'm Enlisted Navy, and stationed in Norfolk until 2023. I'd like to have a deal under my belt before the end of the year. Hoping to connect with anyone who has house hacked, used a VA loan, purchased property in Norfolk or just has connections out here.

I'm very excited, but also quite nervous. Looking forward to hearing from the Norfolk community!

Welcome! I recently purchased my first buy and hold triplex in Portsmouth. Definitely read the forums and listen to the podcast. You can very easily get into a multifamily with an FHA loan. Just be warned to not pay too much as the Hampton Roads market is quite pricey at the moment.

Congrats on starting the ball rolling! I've got a lot of VA loan experience with buyers, eligibility,#of properties an eligibility can qualify for, appraisal requirements, etc. If you have questions or want me to send you some helpful resources, let me know!

@Alec Pitts Welcome to Norfolk and Biggerpockets. A lot of great people and info up here. Our team has experience in buying sfh and mfh properties in Norfolk and we are always looking to connect with good people. Good luck with your ventures.

Hello,

Welcome!  Hope you are loving it here so far.   We PCS’d here 15 years ago and loved it so much we stayed.  Excellent area for investing!   Norfolk has so much opportunity at a wide range of price points.  Good luck!

Hi @Alec Pitts ! Norfolk is by far my favorite city to do business in! Google Rent Ready Norfolk. Norfolk has a new initiative to support and educate landlords. Sign up for their mailing list and they will notify you when they have classes. You can use your VA benefit to purchase a 4 Plex, so why start with a house hack? Think big!

@Alec Pitts are you looking to use you VA loan to buy a multi family or a "flip" of sorts? Or what are your goals exactly with your first VA purchase?? Shoot me a message if you'd like! I help VA buyers with this every day here at Bragg and can possibly answer any questions you may have! Either way, good luck and welcome to the amazing world of living for FREE thanks to that VA entitlement!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you