Hi - Determined Newbie in Chicago Looking to Make a Splash

14 Replies

Wanted to say 'hi' from Chicago.  I signed up 6 weeks ago but hadn't posted yet.  Figured I'd give this thing a try.  Looking forward to a year from now when I can look back on this post and smile at my ignorance :)

Originally posted by @Dusty Kozlowski :

Wanted to say 'hi' from Chicago.  I signed up 6 weeks ago but hadn't posted yet.  Figured I'd give this thing a try.  Looking forward to a year from now when I can look back on this post and smile at my ignorance :)

Welcome aboard Dusty.

Still trying to determine whether I should start within the city itself or in the surrounding areas including the suburbs, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, or down state near Bloomington/Champaign.  If anyone has any advice on that I'm all ears.

Welcome, this site is a great spot to find the resources you need to start your journey.  As for your question there are a lot of variables, how much are you investing, where do you live now, and what your risk tolerance is.

@Brooks Rembert Thank you!

@TIm Harstead - I live in Chicago on the near south side.  My main challenge will be the fact that I have a full time job.  This is great for income but bad for real estate efforts.  So any property I purchase doesn't need to be nearby but I will need property management to oversee the property so it's a cost I will factor in upon purchase.  I'd like to start with a multi-family (4 units or less) and see how that plays out before expanding my portfolio.

got it, yeah the first part is to make sure that you account for the PM costs when looking.  As a local in Pilsen myself, I'd say to start looking around the area you are in including a little village, the outskirts of Pilsen (closer to Western) and over by Douglas park, and than going west like Mckinley Park Brighton Park, There are still some good deals in those areas and tons of renters

Welcome! I invest and live in the Milwaukee area.  We most recently closed on an 89 unit deal there.  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the Milwaukee market - glad to help where I can. 

@Dusty Kozlowski Good morning Dusty. Insaw your post on steering your journey anf wanted to reach out. I too live on the Southside, have a full time job and invest. I am always looking to make new connections and eventually join forces with some people. What kind of work do you do? What are your specific interests?

Talk to you soon,

Kyle

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you