New Member Introduction

11 Replies

Hello!

My name is Aaliyah and I am new to the BiggerPockets community! 

I’ve joined on Sept. 4 and have been researching, reading the forums, and listening to the BiggerPockets podcasts since. I am currently in the research stage with a high interest to start off investing in single and multi-family homes. 

I would like to earn additional cash flow without having to work for others all my life, so that I can live the way I want as I have nobody to depend on. I am willing to be patient and put in the hard work.

I currently reside in Tallahassee, FL and am looking to move to Phoenix, AR by November of next year. I currently am looking to connect with like minded individuals who love to learn and want to make money as much as I do and people who I can learn from!

While I don’t have my complete list of questions to ask, I decided to stop waiting and throw myself out there.

For someone who is just getting into real estate investing, what financial investment strategies would you guys recommend for someone who has very little extra cash and doesn’t want, or can’t use their credit? What’s your favorite(s) and why?

Also, I’ve learned from a podcast that Detroit is actually a really good market place, pretty much the best in the country for investors. Would you recommend a new investor, like myself, get involved in out-of-state investing, once I’ve already moved to Phoenix, AR? If so, how often should the out-of-state property be visited and what are the main differences than if it was in state. If not, how long would you recommend a beginner to wait before starting to invest out-of-state?

That’s all the questions I have for now. I apologize if I went on too much. 

Thank you guys so much for your time. If there’s anyone in my area who would like to meet up and talk real estate I’m all ears. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me!

Thank you all!

Welcome to the BP community and to the world of REI. You have come to the right place to learn, connect, and grow your network!

Welcome, Aaliyah!

I am a new member as well who just recently started investing in Detroit. I agree with @Jamiel Strickland that building a good team is of the utmost importance! I am currently in that phase now. Have you gotten a chance to actually visit Detroit and drive around? I would suggest that you research zip codes, neighborhoods and take a tour. I recently did an investor tour and found that it gave me invaluable information that I would not have found online. Good luck with your investment property hunt!

@Aaliyah Iman

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

@Aaliyah Iman welcome! You’ll want to connect with someone that has boots on the ground. I would suggest seeking out a property manager, realtor/wholesaler, and real estate attorney here. And try to come a few times a year and learn the city for yourself. If you need any recommendations let me know! Born and raised in the city and I’m always happy to help people learn to love Detroit as much as I do!

@Aaliyah Iman

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

Originally posted by @Danielle E. :

Welcome, Aaliyah!

I am a new member as well who just recently started investing in Detroit. I agree with @Jamiel Strickland that building a good team is of the utmost importance! I am currently in that phase now. Have you gotten a chance to actually visit Detroit and drive around? I would suggest that you research zip codes, neighborhoods and take a tour. I recently did an investor tour and found that it gave me invaluable information that I would not have found online. Good luck with your investment property hunt!

Hello! 

I haven’t gotten the chance to visit Detroit,  but I would love to one day in the mere future. And I’m glad everything worked out for you. That makes me confident that I’ll have a lot to gain from taking this trip. I’m definitely taking notes!

Originally posted by @Salliece McCain :

@Aaliyah Iman welcome! You’ll want to connect with someone that has boots on the ground. I would suggest seeking out a property manager, realtor/wholesaler, and real estate attorney here. And try to come a few times a year and learn the city for yourself. If you need any recommendations let me know! Born and raised in the city and I’m always happy to help people learn to love Detroit as much as I do!

Thank you so much for the advice. These are real good pointers. I would love to keep in touch with you! I’ll definitely have more questions down the road.

@Aaliyah Iman

Welcome to BP. It’s the greatest platform on earth 🌍 you will enjoy & love it , it’s so many connection & the education is by far the best out there.

Best wishes to you & your journey

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you